E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I am Ready to be Ridiculed....

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 06:33 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, here's the thing. I originally went to Motor Werks yesterday to trade-in my 530 for a 545 or 550, used. The kicker was that I only had my 530 for about 6 months before I decided I wanted a bigger engine and more options like NAV and Sport packages, better sound system, etc. So...... I walked into the dealership ready to get a 545 and got slapped with the used car interest rate of 5.9% via BMW financing, (which isn't too bad).

However, when I looked at the monthly payment and was ready to get it all done the finance guy said "hey, if you're going to pay this much for a used car that you're going to flip in about 3 years for another, why buy it? Why don't you just lease a new Infiniti here at 1.8% and lease it?"

I never leased a car before, ever.

And then I started thinking. I looked over the Infinit 08' G35 sedan, black on black. The damn thing had 300+ horses in a V6, backup camera, cold weather package, nav, mp3 player, 6 disc changer, 10 gig hard drive built-in, a very sexy cockpit, hand-stitched leather wheel, intuitive controls, rear-wheel biased all wheel drive system, 18" alloys, sports suspension, aggresive growl exhaust, pretty good outer body styling, and it was all for a little over $40,000, totally loaded.

Cockpit: http://www.orbitcast.com/archives/Infiniti...-NavTraffic.jpg
Exterior: http://images.quickblogcast.com/2/4/0/5/2/...i_G35_Sedan.bmp

Should I do it?........... I told him I'd sleep on it.

Here is the worst part. I know its not a BMW, thats the thing, ITS NOT A BMW. EVEN THOUGH this Infiniti CLEARLY has a better interior, (its more comparable to a 3 series than a 5 as far as interior space), but it does not have the "status" of a BMW. I'm trying to think logically here, what will get me more for my dollars? I know the BMW has a horrible maintenance upkeep vs an Infiniti that you literally just stuff with gas and oil and never worry about ...

Need some feedback.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

Why not get a used 550, calculate the amount of money over the lease that you will not get back.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:42 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by Howitzer' post='747153' date='Dec 17 2008, 10:33 AM
So, here's the thing. I originally went to Motor Werks yesterday to trade-in my 530 for a 545 or 550, used. The kicker was that I only had my 530 for about 6 months before I decided I wanted a bigger engine and more options like NAV and Sport packages, better sound system, etc. So...... I walked into the dealership ready to get a 545 and got slapped with the used car interest rate of 5.9% via BMW financing, (which isn't too bad).

However, when I looked at the monthly payment and was ready to get it all done the finance guy said "hey, if you're going to pay this much for a used car that you're going to flip in about 3 years for another, why buy it? Why don't you just lease a new Infiniti here at 1.8% and lease it?"

I never leased a car before, ever.

And then I started thinking. I looked over the Infinit 08' G35 sedan, black on black. The damn thing had 300+ horses in a V6, backup camera, cold weather package, nav, mp3 player, 6 disc changer, 10 gig hard drive built-in, a very sexy cockpit, hand-stitched leather wheel, intuitive controls, rear-wheel biased all wheel drive system, 18" alloys, sports suspension, aggresive growl exhaust, pretty good outer body styling, and it was all for a little over $40,000, totally loaded.

Cockpit: http://www.orbitcast.com/archives/Infiniti...-NavTraffic.jpg
Exterior: http://images.quickblogcast.com/2/4/0/5/2/...i_G35_Sedan.bmp

Should I do it?........... I told him I'd sleep on it.

Here is the worst part. I know its not a BMW, thats the thing, ITS NOT A BMW. EVEN THOUGH this Infiniti CLEARLY has a better interior, (its more comparable to a 3 series than a 5 as far as interior space), but it does not have the "status" of a BMW. I'm trying to think logically here, what will get me more for my dollars? I know the BMW has a horrible maintenance upkeep vs an Infiniti that you literally just stuff with gas and oil and never worry about ...

Need some feedback.
Ummmmmmmmmmm........ NO!

There is a reason a BMW costs way more than an Infiniti. Plus, your member will actually shrink a few inches when you buy the Infiniti.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:45 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i actually like the g35....ill prob get for my wife when we get married (hahaha,jk). all kidding aside my boy has a g35 (loaded, all the extras) black on black. its nice but its not a bmw. there is no comparison btwn a g35 and a 5er...none. g35 is comparable to c-class, 3 series or a cts....not a 5 series. there is a reason why the brand new g is the same price as a cpo bmw. think about it. g35, although it is nice, is a nissan with all the options and some body work. im not knocking the g but i dont think it compares to the 5.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:53 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have owned my E60 for 2 years now. My E60 has not too much of interior noises (almost none) yet but my experiences with Lexus or Infiniti are way worst, after the first 7-8 months it started to create all kind of noises like a cheap accord. Also the MPG from Japanese manufacturer is not as good as most people think, for an example, a 3.0 V6 camry's MPG is worst then my E60 530. But provided my E60 has 60 more horses and over 600 lbs of meats compare to a toyota.

Japanese is good at small 4 bangers, like motorcycle engines or rice cookers. Big blocks japanese made have never been good anyways.

P.S. I used to be a big fan of japanese made autos, but they just never stops keeping me (us) disappointing. I think they just not keeping up with the quality but they just increase the prices of their products. I mean all products, yeah even sony gone really suck for the past 6-7 years.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:00 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535dA M-Sport Carbon Black Nasca Black leather AFS Comfort Access Moonroof Active seat vent Xenon Navi Prof. Night Vision HUD High Gloss Shadow Line

I've got none experience with an Infinity, but it seems that the G35 is comparable to the 3 Series. Have you looked at a 335i? That would be the best car to compare the G35 to (and I think it would be the better car!).

Anyway, just test-drive the Infinity and compare it to a 550i or a 335i. If you're a car-enthousiast (meaning: looking for a drivers car), I'm pretty sure you'll opt for a BMW
Old 12-17-2008, 07:04 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

+100 the Infinity is no BMW....however I do like the G Coupe and the convertable that is coming out in the fall is gonna be really sweet. However I have to agree with the others on here, that the G class cars are in the same bracket as the Benz C-Class or the 3 series. If you want to come close in class to the 5 Series then you'd have to look at the Infinity M series.

All in all its your money and you have to make the payments, so do some research maybe take some back to back test drives of the 545/550 then the Infinity, then decide.

GL
Old 12-17-2008, 07:05 AM
Contributors

the G35 is not a BMW, but they are fine cars and with BETTER reliability.

if its right for you then go for it.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

I wouldnt do it... even though its new and all... I thought the finance guy was going to tell you why not get a lease a new 535.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:15 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i, Space Gray, Sports Package, Beige Nasca Leather, Navigation, Head-up display, Ventilated Seats, Cold Weather Package, Comfort Access, Logic 7, HD Radio, Rear Airbags, Fold down rear seats.

Also consider a used 2008 5-series if you can find one because there were many improvements made in 2008. For example, the interior was updated/upgraded significantly. If you don't mind getting something other than a black interior I think the 5's interior looks much more elegant in the cream beige. I think the black leather makes the interior look too monochromatic and less appealing.

Lastly, I think the 5-series has much more prestige than the G35 and looks nicer. My 2008 550i has had 0 problems so far (have had it 6 months). I love it!

Good luck with your decision!

-Ray

Quick Reply: I am Ready to be Ridiculed....