E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I am going to throw up.......

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 09:30 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Its sad that even after paying 60+K for a car you have to keep visiting the dealer for the smallest things (irritating noises, malfunctions, SW upgrades, etc. etc.)

Well, today I have had it. I was driving on Parkway North and noticed a small pebble hit my windshield (barely made a sound). 5 mintues later I see this huge crack spreading across my windshield. I called up the dealer and asked them if this was cover under warranty (it was worth a try ) and he said that if a rock or a pebble hits it then its not covered. If it is an internal defect they would replace it. He said to put on a new windshield would cost anywhere from $700 - $900 :'( . I am really going to throw up thinking about how much its going to cost. Yes, i can go through insurance, but I would still have to pay the deductible of $500.

Anyone have any ideas what I can do?? I really hate to try to maintain my car every 3 seconds. As soon as you get something fixed, something else happens.

Am I able to put any type of a windshield on the car or does it have to be from BMW? Do I have any other options as this point???? :'(
Old 04-14-2005, 09:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i -Brilliant Graphite/Oyster 2006 E5004matic- I must have been on drugs when I got this car 2004 545i Black Sapphire/Truffle Brown interior

Originally Posted by saurabh' date='Apr 14 2005, 12:30 PM
Its sad that even after paying 60+K for a car you have to keep visiting the dealer for the smallest things (irritating noises, malfunctions, SW upgrades, etc. etc.)

Well, today I have had it.? I was driving on Parkway North and noticed a small pebble hit my windshield (barely made a sound).? 5 mintues later I see this huge crack spreading across my windshield.? I called up the dealer and asked them if this was cover under warranty (it was worth a try ) and he said that if a rock or a pebble hits it then its not covered.? If it is an internal defect they would replace it.? He said to put on a new windshield would cost anywhere from $700 - $900? :'( .? I am really going to throw up thinking about how much its going to cost.? Yes, i can go through insurance, but I would still have to pay the deductible of $500.?

Anyone have any ideas what I can do?? I really hate to try to maintain my car every 3 seconds.? As soon as you get something fixed, something else happens.?

Am I able to put any type of a windshield on the car or does it have to be from BMW?? Do I have any other options as this point????? :'(
[snapback]115370[/snapback]
Your not alone Bro

Less than 60 days of ownership and 1 new engine and 1 new windshield later I am with you. It's a good thing that I love the looks and drive of my car.

I too am wondering if BMW replacement windshields are any better than the one that came with the car? Does anyone know? Thanks
Old 04-14-2005, 09:57 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i Auto Sport Silver Gray Metallic - Black Leather - Poplar Premium Sound - Shades - Sat Prep 3M Clear Bra

Can I join this club?

6 months in and the car has been back to the dealership 5 times already for a total of 4 weeks

:-S
Old 04-14-2005, 10:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

I have seen on other posts that there have been stress related issues with the windshield and some owners seem to have had cracks appear for no apparent reason. With this in mind, it is possible that your windshield damage was exacerbated (i.e. the stress issue turned what may have been a repairable chip into a non-repairable crack). Perhaps ypu could raise that with the dealer, and if they don't step ask them to involve the local BMW rep. It's a tough one because a stone could of course cause a crack on the windshield irrespective of any additional stress related issues but good luck and keep us posted.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:08 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i/6sp SilverGray/Beige

I would suggest dropping the deductible on your comprehensive coverage down to something more like $0 or even $50. I have my comprehensive deductible at $0.00 and the increase to my total premium was negligible. This way stone chips, hail, etc. are covered at no cost to me.

-MrB
Old 04-14-2005, 10:10 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by saurabh' date='Apr 14 2005, 11:30 AM
Yes, i can go through insurance, but I would still have to pay the deductible of $500.?

Anyone have any ideas what I can do?? I really hate to try to maintain my car every 3 seconds.? As soon as you get something fixed, something else happens.?

Am I able to put any type of a windshield on the car or does it have to be from BMW?? Do I have any other options as this point????? :'(
Hi Saurabh,

The deductible for winhshield is not $500. It's only $100. Please call up your insurance agency and find out. $500 deductible is for collision, etc, but not for windshield. I had my windshield hit my a small rock and the crack spreaded across the windshield. I had it replace by StarLite glass with $100 deductible.

I hope this help.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:10 AM
Members

Most of the time windshields are covered by insurance w/o the deductible. I'd call up and ask, I know I don't have to pay for mine.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:13 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by my530i' date='Apr 14 2005, 12:10 PM
[quote name='saurabh' date='Apr 14 2005, 11:30 AM']Yes, i can go through insurance, but I would still have to pay the deductible of $500.??

Hi Saurabh,

The deductible for winhshield is not $500. It's only $100. Please call up your insurance agency and find out. $500 deductible is for collision, etc, but not for windshield. I had my windshield hit my a small rock and the crack spreaded across the windshield. I had it replace by StarLite glass with $100 deductible.

I hope this help.
[snapback]115389[/snapback]
[/quote]

OHHHHH....actually i did not know that. I will have to call my insurance company and find out about the $100. Thanks big time because now i can be relieved at work
Old 04-14-2005, 10:18 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Jet Black/Black, Sport Package, Satellite

Your dealer will charge you $ 700 -900 for a replacement BMW authorized rain sensor windshield; however, you should be able to find a replacement that meets BMW specs for about half that price...same thing happened to me a year ago on my 3 series....I called BMW San Diego and the service manager recommended a place that came to my house and replaced BMW approved rain sensor windshield for $ 300.....car was leased, I turned car back in, 2 months later no problems....you'll find the dealer typically overcharges (in another instance, I was quoted $ 1400 for 4 chromed 545i sport wheels.....went to a very reputable tire wholesaler, whom dealer probably buys from, and was quoted half that price). Good luck--perhaps the service manager at your dealership can recommend a shop in your area that provides authorized replacements at much less cost. Broken windshields happen--nothing to do with quality of BMW.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:37 AM
Senior Members

I just got off the phone with my insurance company and we have a $1,000 deductible for comprehensive and $1,000 for collision. We have a business here in New Jersey (about 10 - 15 people) and all of us here have the same policy under the business name. I did not know that the deductibles were that high.

windhield replacement would fall under comprehensive or collision? or another category??

Quick Reply: I am going to throw up.......