E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Hypothesis: Tyre noise may be caused by ARS

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 06:18 PM
fq1
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a hypothesis that the tyre noise issue that people have experienced may not be caused by the run-flat tyres but by tyre feathering that may be caused by ARS. The reason I say that is that two of my 745s did not have run-flats but had the (obligatory, at least here in the US) ARS. The first one's low-level tyre noise started at around 4,000 miles and then increased immensely by about 12,000 miles and became rather unbearable. It was like driving on gravel.

The second one's tyre noise started at around 5k and was pretty hopeless by about 12k when the tyres were replaced. After the replacement, the difference was as if one had moved into a luxury car from a poorly made convertible driven on gravel roads. Those tyres also started becoming noisy after about 5k miles. at which point the car was sold.

I know that here in the US, ARS on the E60 is part of the sport package which also includes run flats and that you do not get run flats without having ARS. So my question is if someone has run flats on a car WITHOUT ARS or the sport package and if they have experienced the road noise (which I have been told by my dealer is caused by "uneven and premature feathering" of the tyres). Hope someone here might be able to test my hypothesis.

Unfortunately, I would not be able to test this hypothesis in my E60 because I decided to not order the sport package on my car -- even though it kills me to not have the SMG which I enjoy so much on my 325.

Opinions welcome.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:11 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by fq1' date='Feb 24 2005, 07:18 PM
I have a hypothesis that the tyre noise issue that people have experienced may not be caused by the run-flat tyres but by tyre feathering that may be caused by ARS.? The reason I say that is that two of my 745s did not have run-flats but had the (obligatory, at least here in the US) ARS.? The first one's low-level tyre noise started at around 4,000 miles and then increased immensely by about 12,000 miles and became rather unbearable.? It was like driving on gravel.

The second one's tyre noise started at around 5k and was pretty hopeless by about 12k when the tyres were replaced.? After the replacement, the difference? was as if one had moved into a luxury car from a poorly made convertible driven on gravel roads.? Those tyres also started becoming noisy after about 5k miles. at which point the car was sold.

I know that here in the US, ARS on the E60 is part of the sport package which also includes run flats and that you do not get run flats without having ARS.? So my question is if someone has run flats on a car WITHOUT ARS or the sport package and if they have experienced the road noise (which I have been told by my dealer is caused by "uneven and premature feathering" of the tyres).? Hope someone here might be able to test my hypothesis.

Unfortunately, I would not be able to test this hypothesis in my E60 because I decided to not order the sport package on my car -- even though it kills me to not have the SMG which I enjoy so much on my 325.

Opinions welcome.? ?
[snapback]94119[/snapback]
What is ARS?
Old 02-24-2005, 07:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i step, nav, sport, 166 wheels, premium sound, don't need nothin' else.

ARS=active roll stabilization