E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Humming noise from engine AFTER shutting down and taking out the key

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 03:30 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 08 535i
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by ucsbwsr
I am pretty sure that is your water pump, it will circulate coolant if it deems necessary to cool the engine. Once way to check is...

Turn the ignition on (do not start the engine), heat to full hot with the blower on low. Press the throttle fully to the floor and hold for 10 seconds, then release. This will activate the self-bleed process. The process takes about ten minutes and is fully automatic. During this process you should be able to hear the water pump moving the coolant and turning on and off.

During this process ideally you should have the car connected to a charger so it doesn't die but since your system is already bled I don't foresee that being an issue. There shouldn't be any harm with performing this test but do so at your own risk. It will allow you to confirm that the noise you hear is infact the water pump circulating.

Hope this helps,
Evan

Thanks I have a battery charger that I can hook up. What's the downside to this "bleeding" test?
Old 11-14-2014, 03:36 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: E61 with all the mods

Nothing that I am aware of, I was sounding cautious as a disclaimer.

The bleed process might be good to do anyway to eliminate any possible air that can be built up, it can't hurt IMO.

Do you know how to use the hidden cluster menu to check engine temp? I am wondering if you engine is running hotter than normal.

Evan
Old 11-14-2014, 03:55 PM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Water pump is a good guess to follow up on. No downside to bleeding. How many miles do you have on the water pump? It may be going out. Can you read the codes? You may have a water pump code. Mine threw codes for more than a year until it finally gave up at about 60K miles.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:23 PM
New Members

My Ride: 08 535i

About 63K miles. Infact I need to start looking at what stuff to get replaced on a 60K 535i (pointers would be helpful

I have the ability to get the codes off the dashboard (not the ODBII stuff) using a guide I had found. I use to check the battery voltage, I think it has something for temperature also if I remember correctly.I can check on it, thanks for the tip.

Is there any way to read the codes without special equipment? (BTW I've never had any warnings show up on the dashboard - can it still have codes without the warning?)
Old 11-15-2014, 04:01 AM
New Members

My Ride: '04 545i

I use the BMWhat app & a wifi dongle to read the codes. There is another app called torque that people use.

Iphone uses wifi & android used bluetooth. For me it was worth $75 for the equip to be able to read the codes.
Old 11-15-2014, 05:30 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by hunnypuppy
About 63K miles. Infact I need to start looking at what stuff to get replaced on a 60K 535i (pointers would be helpful

I have the ability to get the codes off the dashboard (not the ODBII stuff) using a guide I had found. I use to check the battery voltage, I think it has something for temperature also if I remember correctly.I can check on it, thanks for the tip.

Is there any way to read the codes without special equipment? (BTW I've never had any warnings show up on the dashboard - can it still have codes without the warning?)
Yes, you can have many codes with no indication on the dash or iDrive.
Old 11-15-2014, 07:45 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: E61 with all the mods

Originally Posted by hunnypuppy

The little "secret" dash menu which shows battery voltage will also show you engine temp, I believe it is option 7.

Although this might be exactly what you are referring to when you say "special equipment" I would strongly suggest getting a K+DCAN cable for diagnostic and coding purposes. If you are at all technically inclined or care about maintenance (sounds like you are) or customization INPA, NCS Expert, and WinKFP are fantastic tools to familiarize with. Honestly configuring the software on your computer and getting that up an running is more challenging than any diagnostic or coding you would do down the road.

Evan