E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

HUD Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 05:07 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 M5, Silver Grey, Silverstone Full Leather, Alumium trim, Active/Ventilated Comfort Seats, HUD, Comfort Access, Split Rear Seats, Rear Seat Heating, etc.

I'm thinking of ordering HUD in my new 550 SMG, after hearing its praises sung by many members of this forum. Frankly, I think it's kind of useless without gear selection and/or RPM (both of which are displayed in the M5 version). Yes, the navigation directional arrows would be nice, but I'm not sure if that alone is worth the added expense.

My question is this: for those people who have older E60's with HUD, have you ever seen any kind of upgrades or changes made to HUD (either through a software update, mod, or otherwise) that would suggest an RPM/gear selection feature *could* be added in the future? In other words, has the HUD for the 5ers remained exactly the same since its inception? Or has it benefited from incremental improvements, however minor, such as tweaks to colors, formatting/layout of messages, etc.?

I'm not asking people to speculate about future changes to HUD or read tea leaves or anything like that... I'm mostly trying to see if changes are technically possible (as evidenced by E60 owners' previous experiences), should BMW decide to "trickle down" the M5 HUD to the rest of us at some point in the future... If so, I'll almost certainly spring for it...
Old 01-11-2006, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

While there's been no noticeable changes to my HUD, it's clearly technically possible to make changes to the system. That doesn't mean they can instantly drop the M5 tach display in (they might or might not be able to do that) but since the whole thing is software based and the display is an LCD screen, anything is possible.

It's possible that they could've added additional warning messages, etc. over the past upgrades but the basic functionality has remained unchanged.

My advice is to get it anyway. You'll find it useful even without the gear selector or tach displays...
Old 01-12-2006, 03:46 AM
Members

I agree with Rudy, it is possible. I would like to see Valentine1 Radar on my HUD (wishfull thinking).
Old 01-12-2006, 06:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Seen no changes. Speed is always there and then there are three selectable items you can add (or not) via iDrive. Nav (arrow display), cruise control, and check control messages. If any messages were changed or updated I would assume just by having the messages available on display would get whatever changes were made. I find all the of the items useful and I too want more, though whether we will get it or not remains to be seen. With the difficulty some have seeing the turn signals that would probably good for an option as well. There is only so much real estate so having items as options in iDrive is good method IMO.