E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

HUD too low?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 04:37 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

I guess size does make a difference. I'm right between u guys at 6' even and it came just right for me, for both my high and low driving positions. I knew before hand, though, that I could get it adjusted if necessary cause Rudy was so kind to post a lot of info on HUD
Old 06-27-2005, 01:56 PM
Senior Members

Had my car in for HUD adjustment today and they are telling me that it's comes from the factory adjusted as high as it goes! I think they are out to lunch, can anyone verify that it can be adjusted higher on the windshield? Thanks
Old 06-27-2005, 05:08 PM
Senior Members

Here is the latest, the service adviser tells me that the most they will be able to adjust the HUD is 10mm, yes you heard me, 10mm (1/3 of an inch) ... can anyone confirm this? They say that the windshield only has a small window that the HUD can reflect on and even if they can move the image up, the windshield wouldn't show it because of the limited reflecter space ...

Help...
Old 06-27-2005, 11:42 PM
Contributors

There is a special film in the glass so that it reflects properly. It can be adjusted and I have not heard of any complaints yet, that the adjustment was not enough. Let them adjust it and see what happens.
Old 06-28-2005, 07:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

I think I can make out the area of viewing surface in the windshield and it looks sufficiently large to more than cover what they are saying. I wonder if the measurement they refer to is actual sending unit specs and it gets magnified distance wise on the windshield - for example a 1/16" change at sender equals 1" change at windshield - just a thought.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:22 AM
Senior Members

The movement limitations of the display have nothing to do with the windshield. They have to do with the devices inside the dash which can actually move to angle or tilt the optics to point to a different spot in the windshield (like prisms and mirrors).

When I had mine adjusted, the service tech asked me to sit in the driver's seat while he made the adjustment. All the adjustments are done behind the idrive screen which is easily hinged open (not really hinged, but pulled out).

10mm is not correct, as I've seen the instructions (from Rudy which were posted herein, you may want to do a search for HUD adjustment). Your service guy was exagerating under (if that is a term).
Old 06-28-2005, 09:43 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by gdavis' date='Jun 28 2005, 11:22 AM
The movement limitations of the display have nothing to do with the windshield. They have to do with the devices inside the dash which can actually move to angle or tilt the optics to point to a different spot in the windshield (like prisms and mirrors).

When I had mine adjusted, the service tech asked me to sit in the driver's seat while he made the adjustment. All the adjustments are done behind the idrive screen which is easily hinged open (not really hinged, but pulled out).

10mm is not correct, as I've seen the instructions (from Rudy which were posted herein, you may want to do a search for HUD adjustment). Your service guy was exagerating under (if that is a term).
[snapback]143805[/snapback]
Thank-you very much for the feedback ... btw, how much higher would you say you had your HUD adjusted? 1 inch, 2 inches?
Old 06-28-2005, 07:53 PM
Contributors

For me, the HUD image is just at the top edge of the 'window'. I wanted to raise the image also but learned the adjustments are for the optics in the dash. (What everybody is talking about in this thread) My problem is that the window frame in the dash blocks part of the HUD image when I sit properly. I now have the seat full down and then I can see the HUD, but it forces me to adjust some things to their limit on the steering wheel and seat (comfort). BMW cannot move the frame around within its hole in the dash to suit my physique.
These details are not mentioned in these HUD threads including the 'instructions' for adjustment kindly posted a while back.
I ordered the car with many features the dealer never saw and learned that some things are not as perfect as the brochure implies. I still love the car, partly because things are worse for me in most any other.
The solution for me would be to lower the seat frame an inch or more. I have cut and rewelded the legs of of the driver's seat on a manual seat in another make of car, but these comfort seats won't allow that trick. Anybody ideas?
Old 06-29-2005, 12:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Mine has a slight tilt to the right. The whole picture needs to be moved to the left
and tilted counterclockwise. Will do it soon.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 Limo with M-Sport package(m5 mirrors,m5 trunk finisher,m172 summer wheels,blk front grills,m5 paddle shift kit(my530i),m pedal covers,m floor mats, E87 2005 The Misses car E39 2002 Touring with M-Sport package/family wagon(gone but not forgotten)

When I first drove the car I felt it was too low! And after 2 weeks of driving and adjusting my seat around (I am 5'11")I still feel it is too low! Will also have dealer raise it a little!

Quick Reply: HUD too low?