E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

HUD navigation?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 01:47 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HUD navigation?

Hi!

I've been having a problem with the heads up display on a 535D. Normally, when you used the navigation to guide you somewhere, there would be arrows on the HUD, telling you where to go.
The problem is, after the car has had a tracking device fitted by a shop, the navigation wont show up in the HUD? I've tried going into the iDrive settings and turning it on, but it wont work, and everytime I check, it has turned itself off in the settings menu?

Does anyone know how to solve this?
Old 01-09-2013, 06:27 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545i sport
Model Year: 2004

Yes, undo whatever was done when a "tracking device" was fitted.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:06 AM
New Members

So you think the shop did something wrong when they fitted that tracking device thing? It's for insurance by the way. You have to have one of them fitted, or else they wont insure the car.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:08 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 BMW 545iA ZSP, ZCW, HUD, Silvergrau

Originally Posted by Esser
So you think the shop did something wrong when they fitted that tracking device thing? It's for insurance by the way. You have to have one of them fitted, or else they wont insure the car.
Where are you that they mandate monitoring and tracking for insurance?

As far as I know (in USA) Progressive's Snapshot device is optional (although if you want to attempt to get lower rates then that's another story - and dependent on your driving style; if they don't think the data proves your a "safe" driver your rate will go up).
Old 01-10-2013, 07:53 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 535xi Purchased 2/2011Sapphire Black MetallicNatural Brown LeatherPremium, Sport & Cold Weather

Originally Posted by Excession
Where are you that they mandate monitoring and tracking for insurance?

As far as I know (in USA) Progressive's Snapshot device is optional (although if you want to attempt to get lower rates then that's another story - and dependent on your driving style; if they don't think the data proves your a "safe" driver your rate will go up).
And that thing I believe just plugs into your OBDII port.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:57 AM
New Members

Well I'm from Denmark, and it's because the car is CRAZY expensive here! It was around 265.000 USD when it was new a couple of years ago. So the insurance companies demand that you have a tracking device fitted...
But, do you guys think that the device was somehow fitted wrong, or is messing with the car somehow...?
Old 01-11-2013, 05:42 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 BMW 545iA ZSP, ZCW, HUD, Silvergrau

Esser, Is it safe to assume that the nav screen still provides the proper directions but they won't show on the HUD? That would help to determine if it is a signal problem or just limited to the HUD.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:10 AM
Members

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
My Ride: E61 525i 2005, F11 528i 2012
Model Year: 2012

Best thing would be to go to the guys who fitted it and ask to temporarily disable it, then you can compare if the HUD-navi is influenced by it.

A tracker is usually a simple device hooked up to an antenna source (usually near the rear of the car to hook up to the mobile shark-fin antenna) and a power source. So in theory there should be no influence to the HUD-navi working.

Perhaps when they connected it, some module started to work erratically (power glitch) or they tried to hook up a tracker which somehow sources its signal from the on-board navi computer and screwed up something there.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:03 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Esser
Well I'm from Denmark, and it's because the car is CRAZY expensive here! It was around 265.000 USD when it was new a couple of years ago. So the insurance companies demand that you have a tracking device fitted...
But, do you guys think that the device was somehow fitted wrong, or is messing with the car somehow...?
$265000 US for an E60! Just for fun, what is the price of a BigMac in Denmark?
Old 01-13-2013, 11:56 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by Ben535xi
$265000 US for an E60! Just for fun, what is the price of a BigMac in Denmark?
265000 USD for a nice spec E60 535D, AFTER you've paid 60% income tax!
It's a horrible country!

But I think a BigMac meal here is around 12 USD...

Quick Reply: HUD navigation?