E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

HUD Glass Windshield broke

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 11:26 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550i Black Saphire/Black Dakota Leather- Loaded- M5 Appearance Package, Sport Package, Pro logic 7 Premium Sound, Navigation, Cold Weather Package, Comfort Package, Heads-up Display, park Distance Control, Bluetooth, Active Steering, Electric Rear Sunshade, Rear Folding Seats, Front/Rear Heated Seats, Xenon lights, Satelite Radio- Extended Maintenance, CPO (Considering Tire/Wheel Insurance)
Thumbs up

Do I go through Geico for no cost to me and have their outside people replace the windshield (they sware they do all kinds of cars) or BMW, where I have to pay the difference in labor between $40/hr and $130/hr for what may be the same type of galss?

HELP!
Old 08-03-2009, 11:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Did you talk to the dealer and see if they do insurance work for glass replacement? Or maybe they would recommend another place with comparable price.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Black Saphire/Black Dakota Leather- Loaded- M5 Appearance Package, Sport Package, Pro logic 7 Premium Sound, Navigation, Cold Weather Package, Comfort Package, Heads-up Display, park Distance Control, Bluetooth, Active Steering, Electric Rear Sunshade, Rear Folding Seats, Front/Rear Heated Seats, Xenon lights, Satelite Radio- Extended Maintenance, CPO (Considering Tire/Wheel Insurance)

BMW will do it themselves, but charge the high labor rate, whoch Geico will not cover. I am not willing to pay them $200 out of pocket for something I can get for free if same or simialr product... I just dont know if the windshield will look different, etc...
Old 08-03-2009, 11:37 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by gregg2gs' post='964090' date='Aug 3 2009, 03:26 PM
Do I go through Geico for no cost to me and have their outside people replace the windshield (they sware they do all kinds of cars) or BMW, where I have to pay the difference in labor between $40/hr and $130/hr for what may be the same type of galss?

HELP!
I'd go with the GEICO shop ... even most BMW dealers use glass shops to do their work. Be certain they use the proper windshield ... and it's likely to be OEM glass. Some shops will do it at your home but I seem to recall there are special bonding requirements that require it to set for several hours. So, if you have the option have it done in their shop that might avoid any problems.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:40 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='964106' date='Aug 3 2009, 03:37 PM
I'd go with the GEICO shop ... even most BMW dealers use glass shops to do their work. Be certain they use the proper windshield ... and it's likely to be OEM glass. Some shops will do it at your home but I seem to recall there are special bonding requirements that require it to set for several hours. So, if you have the option have it done in their shop that might avoid any problems.

Thanks! I think I am going to go through Geico...The yset the appt to be at my house...Not sure where their shop is located. I hope the glass doesnt pit easily, look distorted, etc.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:40 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

As long as you ABSOLUTELY insist on OEM glass you will be fine either way. That is the key, especially with HUD glass. I wouldn't allow any work to be done without OEM glass, if it doesn't have he roundel on it send them packing.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

I've seen memebers recc http://www.safelite.com/

they do insurance claims...wonder if they work with Geico...and can provide the HUD glass...
Old 08-03-2009, 11:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

i was dropping my car off today, and i watched a lil service video they had playing. in one part they were replacing a window. damn that shit looked hard and complicated!!! @ one point they had the windshield completely wrapped in ratchet straps?? wtf!! it looked like an expensive job!!
Old 08-04-2009, 11:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04 530i Space Gray/ Black Dakota Leather interior with SMG, Sports Package+ Paddle Shifters, HUD, NAV, Premium Package, Multi-Contour Seats, Xenons , Logic 7.

I replaced my cracked windshield through my insurance company(Progressive) and they used Safelite. They did a real good job and since I had provided them the part number of the BMW OEM HUD windshield ( found here on E60.net...I think in one of Rudy's posts) there were no issue with quality or fitment.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Good luck gregg. Keep us posted on how things turn out.

Quick Reply: HUD Glass Windshield broke