E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

H&R sport or race spring

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 09:58 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey

I'm looking into lowering my car with either the H&R sport or race spring, but I don't know which one to get. I want an aggressive look, but don't want any really bad rubbing. I have a 2004 530i with the sport suspension, rims are 9x20 +23 in the front and 10x20 +23 in the rear, tires are 245/35/20 front, and 275/30/20 rear

I guess my question is, the sport spring says it'll drop on average 1.5 ish, but I have the BMW sport suspension. Does anyone know what the drop is with that stock set up, or is it the same
Attached Thumbnails H&R sport or race spring-img_0136.jpg  
Old 04-30-2012, 10:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

OP,

Depends on what you are looking for. It is my understanding the H&R Race has more fo a drop than the Sport. A little too low to my liking. I think the sport is more than adequate. Will you be relacing the shocks/struts as well? If not, the lowering springs (depending on your current mileage) will eventually wear the shocks. Also, the sport package on the E60 lowers the car about 0.75 inches compared to stock non-sport. I think the drop mentioned is on a non-sport setup. I'm pretty sure this is true for at least Eibach. The manufacturer claimed a 1.25" drop. If you already had the sport package then it would only be another 0.5". Fellow members, please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:19 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Hyper_545i
OP,

Depends on what you are looking for. It is my understanding the H&R Race has more fo a drop than the Sport. A little too low to my liking. I think the sport is more than adequate. Will you be relacing the shocks/struts as well? If not, the lowering springs (depending on your current mileage) will eventually wear the shocks. Also, the sport package on the E60 lowers the car about 0.75 inches compared to stock non-sport. I think the drop mentioned is on a non-sport setup. I'm pretty sure this is true for at least Eibach. The manufacturer claimed a 1.25" drop. If you already had the sport package then it would only be another 0.5". Fellow members, please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

I was going to just stick with replacing the spring for now, I have 71,000 miles on the car. I thought because it was already the sport pachage the shocks would be good enough. I have the kids in the back rocking out Barney, so I not ripping aroung or anything

thanks for the info, if that is true about only getting .5 off the sport, then I might want the race. I was looking for around 1.3 ish drop for front and back
Old 04-30-2012, 10:20 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: coilvers retrofits
Model Year: 2001 and 2011

my sport is pretty low, i was originally going to go for the race, but found a good deal on sports, and glad i did. any lower, i would be scraping my front bumper on everything, as i already do. gotta drive like a grandma up driveways. if you want low, go coilovers for shows, weekend cruises...adjust for daily.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:04 AM
Members

Originally Posted by roskinc
my sport is pretty low, i was originally going to go for the race, but found a good deal on sports, and glad i did. any lower, i would be scraping my front bumper on everything, as i already do. gotta drive like a grandma up driveways. if you want low, go coilovers for shows, weekend cruises...adjust for daily.

wow your car is low, and thats the sport springs?

this is whats making bang my head against tables, if the data is correct from Hyper_545i, and the sport spring dropped me .5" there is no way my car would be as low as yours

it seems all cars are different and your have to take a chance

and I really don't want to drop the cash for coilovers, even though I probably should
Old 04-30-2012, 11:34 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: coilvers retrofits
Model Year: 2001 and 2011

i was in your same shoes, i debated for weeks on race or sports. eibachs or h&r...in the end, i found someone selling h&r sports locally and at a good price, so i jumped at it, figuring worst scenario if it wasnt as low as i wanted, then i could resale and get race...but when i finished installing it, wow i was low, i thought good thing i didnt go for races. i also am running 20" i tuck tire, ride is really smooth, people are amazed how well it drives being lowered (on stock shocks too, the money i would spend on bilsteins ill rather fork over the rest find some coilovers). i got some rubbing, but only up really steep driveways and hitting deep dips with people in the car.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 AW N52 with sports package & premium package; natural brown interior MODs: Orion V2s 3000K H8 Yellow Fogs Matte Black Kidney Grills 20" Miro 111 Hankook V12 Tires H&R Sport Springs Special coding via Simon (dbl flash hazards, digital velocity, etc.) LED Side Markers from Trinity Autosports LED License Plate Lights from Trinity Autosports Carbon Delete BMC Air Filter RPI Scoop RPI GT Exhaust Future MODs: Mtech Kit KW Variant 2 Coilovers CIC Retrofit Upgrade Audio System

I'm happy with my H&R.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:12 PM
Members

My Ride: 545i SMG (cleanly modded) Honda S2000 (Track and Street setup) 2006 CBR rr 1000 (Street and track setup)

I'm on race and running 19's. It's rather low but doable. I enjoy the aggressive ride when I drive it. Not my daily though. I'd ruin my bumper and lip if I did.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:41 PM
Contributors

I went with H&R sport. Haven't installed them yet but went with them cause I was worried race was going to be to low as I plan on installing a front lip on my front bumper.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:14 AM
Members

My Ride: Project "StancE60d" - Color: Platinum Gray Metallic - 08 528i w/Premiun sport package - Mtech front bumper - Mtech fog lights with 8000k HID kit - Mtech rear bumper - M5 Side skirts - Matte black Kidney Grills - Matte Vinyl Shadowline trim - Dark Smoke AVS Window Visors - Dark smoke side markers - AC Schnitzer roof spoiler - Carbon Fiber Hamann front lip - NRG Carbon Fiber CSL trunk - Carbon Fiber BMW Roundrels - 6W LED Angel Eye Halos - LED Licence plate bulbs - LCI 3M Clear bra headlights - H&R Sport Springs - Rolled fenders all around - Forgestar F10 20x9F+18 w/2" Step-Lip 20x10.5R+20 w/3.5" Step-Lip Powdercoated @ LAX in L.A., Matte black face, Gloss black rivets, Antique bronze lip - Nexen N3000 Rubberbands F-245/35/zr20 / R-275/30/zr20 - MotorSport Hardware 57mm Extended studs - Chrome/Black Projekt Kicks Lug-nuts - 15% Tint all around - Matte black Tow Hook - Matte black Euro Plates - RS-Type Matte black dual exhaust - RS-Type Aluminum Racing pedals - OEM BMW roof rack. OEM cross bars with 2 OEM bike rails, all Powdercoated matte black From New Year chrome plating in Santa Ana CA, Thule 38" Fairing (not pictured) FUTURE PLANS: - Matte black RPI Scoop - VF Engineering Supercharger - Vorsteiner Carbon Fiber Hood - Carbon Fiber Roof - AC Schnitzer Carbon Fiber rear Quad Diffuser - AC Schnitzer Carbon Fiber roof spoiler - Dinan Carbon Fiber upper strut brace - Carbon Fiber skid plates - Full set of KW V3 Coilovers or Air Ride suspension - H&R Sway bars and Tie bars - Dinan Performance Chip - Full cut and shave of fenders - VIP Garson DAD window curtains - Matte black Quad exhaust system - Color matched Fixie and ///MFEST themed Road bike

It really depends on what size rims your running. i got the h&r sport springs on my 528i with sport package and im running 20? Eurosport Monza?s concave with Steplip

F-20x8.5 +38offset & 72.56 bore,
R-20x10 +40 offset & 72.56 bore

Nexxen N3000
F-245/35/zr20
R-275/30/zr20

i had a little bit of rub but i rolled all the fenders and the suspension sits real good now and real aggressive. i would only run the race springs if you run 19's. hyper545 is right, the sport package does lower yor car an additional .50". good luck