E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

HP Fuel Pump Failure

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 05:21 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Yesterday when I was pulling out of a parking lot the engine started to stumble. Turned car off and restarted and all was ok. Today, I had to switch out company cars, so my wife took the 535 to work and on the way home about a block from the house the engine started stumbling again and had no power. (3 times) Now the check engine light is on so I took it to Autozone and they read the code P142e which shows up as a fuel pump failure. I've already had the fuel pump replaced 1.5 years ago and now again the same problem??? Hmmm... glad it's covered under the extended waranty. Now I am curious how long these pumps are supoosed to last...
Old 10-06-2011, 07:22 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535i

Originally Posted by tonyb635
I've already had the fuel pump replaced 1.5 years ago and now again the same problem???
Sounds like you had one of the pumps they were using before the recall was issued last December. There were two since then, I guess at least now you are getting the latest. Would be a good time to have them check the injectors if they haven't already.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:10 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by ProMed
Sounds like you had one of the pumps they were using before the recall was issued last December. There were two since then, I guess at least now you are getting the latest. Would be a good time to have them check the injectors if they haven't already.
Yes,the injectors were checked and determined to be ok this past May during the last service. Hopfully, this new HPFP last longer...
Old 10-07-2011, 06:58 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535i 6-speed
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by ProMed
Would be a good time to have them check the injectors if they haven't already.
I beleive this is part of the recall...they will check to see if the injectors are older than version XX.XX...is yes...they replace them.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:41 AM
Senior Members

UPDATE: I just received a call from the STEALERSHIP and they tell me they cannot read the code fro the fuel pump problem because of the JB4 software that I have added! They offered to run a fuel pressure check for $265.00 which is non refundable and it may or may not tell them anything. I am starting to smell a lot of POOP here...
Old 10-07-2011, 10:17 AM
Senior Members

I just found out from Burger Tuning that the dealer cannot read the OBD if the JB4 is not set to 0. Ok, I knew it was not detectable in 0 but did not realize it would actually prevent the OBD reading. I could care less if the dealer knows that I have this in my car because the car is not under the factory warranty anyway. I guess the Stealer could try to link the problem back to the software and say they won't cover the fuel pump... Let's hope that's not the case.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535i

Good luck!
Old 10-07-2011, 10:47 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tonyb635
I just found out from Burger Tuning that the dealer cannot read the OBD if the JB4 is not set to 0. Ok, I knew it was not detectable in 0 but did not realize it would actually prevent the OBD reading. I could care less if the dealer knows that I have this in my car because the car is not under the factory warranty anyway. I guess the Stealer could try to link the problem back to the software and say they won't cover the fuel pump... Let's hope that's not the case.
Please tell me you removed your JB4 and cleared codes before taking your vehicle in for HPFP service. Usually if my HPFP warning malfunction comes up, I'll remove my piggyback tune clear codes then drive my car around until the code pops up again, then I will take it in for service. If they find that tune on your car you can kiss the 10 year HPFP warranty goodbye along with any other existing engine/turbo/HPFP/transmission etc. warranty you have. If they didn't catch it and you got your car back then count your blessings they didn't look in your ECU box. Setting your tune to Map 0 just isn't enough, just be careful next time.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:52 AM
Senior Members

I'm sure I will be screwed. When they called after not being able to read they had already looked in the box and told me the spyware wad most likely causing them not to get a reading. He mentioned he took pictures. So I am sure it won't be pretty. He has not said anything about voiding out warranty. Thats probably coming next!
Old 10-07-2011, 01:42 PM
Members

My Ride: 08 535i stock. wifes car 07 x5 stock

Just a question about this recall, your saying it's a ten year/100,000 mile warranty on just the fuel pump? I knew about the recall but did not know they extended it. Thanks for making this post cause I would never known.

Also Persian,
How do you clear codes once you remove the jb4. Or do you clear codes then remove jb4. I only ask because I also have a jb4 and this would be good to know if I ever need to bring my car in.

Quick Reply: HP Fuel Pump Failure