E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

How's the A/C in the 535?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 06:27 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The capability of an air conditioner is somewhat important where I live - the summer months frequently are 105+ degrees. My friend's M3 couldn't keep up, combined with the black interior.

My old M35 allowed me to hang meat in the passenger area. How's the 535's AC?
Old 02-11-2011, 09:14 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Many BMW's

E60 A/C is great ,, I live in Dubai ( almost +50C in the summer )
Old 02-11-2011, 11:26 AM
Members

Just the man I wanted to talk to! Thanks
Old 02-11-2011, 12:44 PM
Senior Members

It gets up to 95/98 degrees here in NY and I have no problems with the A/C. If heat is such a concern get some tinted windows to block out the sun .
Old 02-11-2011, 02:02 PM
Senior Members

what is the most recent car you are comparing to? M35?

personally, i give the AC in the E60 a C-. i think it sucks. i live in dallas and it frequently gets in the 100s in the summer, but different than desert heat, dallas/texas is a very sticky (humid) heat, so you really sweat a lot. i find the bmw is lacking when it comes to the AC, and most of the time i do not cool off on trips that are less than 15 minutes (meaning trips over 15 minutes long it takes me at least 15 minutes to cool off). i have 20% tint and beige interior and leave my sunroof closed, too. i couldn't imagine no tint + dark interior.

as a side note, the german bmw's (as you would expect) retain heat exceptionally well. in dallas we've had 10-20 degree weather for the last 2 weeks and i have only turned my heater on one time. of course, i have used the heated seats pretty much every day instead.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:48 PM
Contributors

In my experience rear-seat passengers are not kept nearly as cool as those of us in the First Class seats. To adequately chill my cheap seat passengers I have to chill my my family jewels to the freezing point!
Old 02-11-2011, 04:40 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 Jet Black 528i Navigation, heated seats, premium

My quick two cents, is that the AC in my car STINKS! Literally, STINKS! I also live in Dallas, with its hot and humid summers, and also rapidly changing temperatures. You literally may start your morning with your heater on because of 20 deg. temps, and end the day with the AC on.

But, my car has always had a really stinky AC. First time, mold, stagnant water, and sweat socks. BMW Dallas cleaned it out for free(how nice of them) as a customer service, but continually remind me that they are not responsible for environmental effects on the car's AC system. To that, I said total BS! After cleaning, the smell came back about two months later, just as bad as before. They again kindly reminded me that they are NOT responsible for the environmental effects on the car's AC system. But, for whatever kind reason they found, they ran it on the ozone machine several times. It smelled so funky and strange after that, it took awhile for that weird smell to wear off(kinda like plastic and chemicals). As soon as that wore off, back came the sweaty sock smell. Can't really tell if the condensation is draining properly, because it drips onto those plastic shields over the transmission tunnel and evaporates from there.

Sorry for the long rant, but to the OP, but I would give the AC system in my car a rather poor rating.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

so cal weather here, never had a problem with my AC....but then again, I think it's all relative to how you feel and deal with heat anyway....
Old 02-11-2011, 06:34 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

In the southeast, its hot and humid about 6 months a year. I specifically ordered a light colored interior and ventilated seats because of the climate here. If you can find an E60 with these options - go for it. A good tint job also helps.

My car gets comfortably cool after sitting in the sun all day within 10 minutes.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:46 AM
Senior Members

We had a really hot Summer this past year in NYC and even in 95+ degree weather there was still condensation on the windshield

Quick Reply: How's the A/C in the 535?