E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

how to turn on heater?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 04:20 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 525

ok i feel like a fool for asking this question, but last night i was reading the owners manual and it has no mention on how to turn on the heater in the car???? it has a whole section on the A/C, but no mention of heat.

so do i set the temp control to say 85 degrees, turn off the a/c button (with the snowflake), and just adjust the fan speed?
Old 10-21-2005, 04:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by pipper' date='Oct 21 2005, 02:20 PM
ok i feel like a fool for asking this question,? ? but last night i was reading the owners manual and it has no mention on how to turn on the heater in the car????? it has a whole section on the A/C, but no mention of heat.

so do i set the temp control to say 85 degrees, turn off the a/c button (with the snowflake), and just adjust the fan speed?
[snapback]186943[/snapback]
The idea is that the whole AC/heater system is fully automatic.

You need only to select the temp.

If you so wish you can turn the cooling AC system off.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:26 AM
Members

My Ride: Currently: E46 M3 -02 Topaz, SMG, HK etc (Will stay). On order : 530d Touring TiSilver, BlackDakota Leather, M-sport Package, Comfort Seats, Logic 7, Active Stearing, Xenon, BT etc.

Originally Posted by pipper' date='Oct 21 2005, 02:20 PM
ok i feel like a fool for asking this question,? ? but last night i was reading the owners manual and it has no mention on how to turn on the heater in the car????? it has a whole section on the A/C, but no mention of heat.

[snapback]186943[/snapback]
Just do the temp control adjustment and be patient, the activation of the heater is part of the ACC system.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

The trick to using the automatic climate control is to make adjustments to the temperature dial only. Press auto and dial your temperature. The compressor light (snowflake) will probably stay on but that's okay because it helps to control the humidity in the winter.

Many people who are new to auto climate control systems will adjust the fan speed if they're too cold or too warm but doing that will override the automatic system. If you're too cold, just turn the temp up a couple degrees. If you're too warm, turn the temp down a couple degrees. Resist the temptation to mess with the fan speed...
Old 10-21-2005, 06:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with Sport Pkg, Nav, HUD, Cold Weather Pkg, Rear Shades

You do have to adjust the Vent Setting in the idrive too. Remember you can set it to blue (cold) or orange (hot), by turning the i-drive controller.

Getting cold here in Chicago and had to switch the heater on a few weeks ago. Initially I just turned up the temp, but noticed that the vents weren't blowing hot air. That's when I remembered i need to adjust the vent settings to hot too.

All the time I was in Auto mode. Kinda defeats the meaning of "Auto", but that's the way it works.

Anyone care to confirm this?
Old 10-21-2005, 06:58 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 525

wow! idrive, vent settings, temp control......
sure are a lot of steps just to get some heat going.

no worries, the e60 still kicks azz
Old 10-21-2005, 07:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by JStraw' date='Oct 21 2005, 10:54 PM
You do have to adjust the Vent Setting in the idrive too. Remember you can set it to blue (cold) or orange (hot), by turning the i-drive controller.

Getting cold here in Chicago and had to switch the heater on a few weeks ago. Initially I just turned up the temp, but noticed that the vents weren't blowing hot air. That's when I remembered i need to adjust the vent settings to hot too.

All the time I was in Auto mode. Kinda defeats the meaning of "Auto", but that's the way it works.?

[snapback]186980[/snapback]
Yes he's right, you have to adjust the vent setting to get heat too, if you adjust it so the person icon in your iDrive turns red than you can get heat from the system even if you adjust your temperature setting to 22 degrees. If you have maxium cold (blue person icon) than the system will be reluctant to give out heat. On the E39 or E46 you can do it manually on the dial in between the centre vents but with the iDrive you need to do it using the iDrive.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:32 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JStraw' date='Oct 21 2005, 09:54 AM

All the time I was in Auto mode. Kinda defeats the meaning of "Auto", but that's the way it works.?

Nice thing to know! I was wondering also, with the temp set to max the air didn't come out really hot. Next time i'll mess around with the vent settings. Anyway kinda weird...but it doesn't bother me at all.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:49 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525i Jet Black (Base + PDC)

I think the vent setting in the i-drive is controlling the 'fresh air' mixing in...whether you want 'Cold' (Blue) or 'Hot' (Red) fresh air or 'Closed' (White). This is independent of the ACC and only affects the vents on the dashboard.

Therefore even if you set the temp so that heat is coming out, but you had the fresh air turned to 'cold', then you'll still get cold air coming from the vents on the dash. If you do not want the vent to affect your temp setting, the best way is to close the fresh air mix (White).

Hope this helps...
Old 10-21-2005, 11:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Orient Blue, Black Interior, Sport Package, Satellite

Originally Posted by JStraw' date='Oct 21 2005, 06:54 AM

My heat works fine without changing the vent settings. I just leave it on auto and adjust the temperature settings. Works like charm.

Quick Reply: how to turn on heater?