E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

How Safe is the 5

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 05:53 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The front parts of the body are plastic (bumper) and aluminium (bonnet and side front wings) but these are NOT protecting in case of a crash. No structural resistance is offered by these body parts in anycar.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:54 AM
Senior Members

And by the way. Almost all Renault's featuring 5 EuroNCAP stars, have front wings made of plastic. Just like E63 and E92. These offer even lower protection as they are shattered in case of impact. So you should already imagine, these body parts are not adding to the safety of the car anyway.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 645 Ci, Individual Stratusgrey Metallic with individual grey leather Individual Stratos metallic, Shadow line, Black Individual leather, 19'' ellisoid, Panorama sunroof, PDC, Dynamic drive, Adaptive steering, Adaptive headlights, Voice control, Logic 7, Prof sat nav, BT phone, TV, Heated Sport seats, Ski sac, light pakket, CD-changer. Mods (so far): iPod interface, K&N Airfilter.

Originally Posted by britus05' post='352964' date='Nov 6 2006, 09:26 PM
As a new owner I was wondering is the 5 a very safe car? I mean when you think of Volvo you think of safety and BMW you think performance. I have always had my wife in Volvo's because she feels safe. I always thought it was a good marketing tool until she got smashed by a suburban several years ago and three volvo's ago and the vehicle did everything they said it would. In looking for crash ratings on the 5 I can't seem to find much. Has anyone else done any research on this issue? I hope I never have to find out, but am interested on how it rates.

2 weeks old today and it is pure driving pleasure, the 5 is simply awesome. As one that looked at 5, gs430, and Acura RL I am so happy I choose the 5.
I can't exactly tell for the E60 but as you can see in the pics of the following thread, the E64 is pretty safe (as well for the wife)

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=26839
Old 11-07-2006, 06:21 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by big_ipaq' post='353261' date='Nov 7 2006, 02:54 PM
Almost all Renault's featuring 5 EuroNCAP stars, have front wings made of plastic. Just like E63 and E92. These offer even lower protection as they are shattered in case of impact. So you should already imagine, these body parts are not adding to the safety of the car anyway.
Yep- plastic wings. And still gets *****

cheers

steve
Old 11-07-2006, 06:34 AM
Senior Members

Stars are for passenger and pedestrian safety.

Perhaps a plastic front end is safer for pedestrians hence higher rating.

ABC
Old 11-07-2006, 06:39 AM
Senior Members

No. The two ratings do not influence each other and we were only talking about passenger ratings. I think steve_gus was sarcastic about Renault's ratings.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:42 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by big_ipaq' post='353274' date='Nov 7 2006, 03:39 PM
No. The two ratings do not influence each other and we were only talking about passenger ratings. I think steve_gus was sarcastic about Renault's ratings.
A Megane's, an Espace's and a Laguna's NCAP for pedestrians (oh, and for passengers) is higher than the e60.

ABC
Old 11-07-2006, 07:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

Originally Posted by steve_gus' post='353249' date='Nov 7 2006, 01:52 PM
Ncap testing crashes cars in a standardised way as an offset frontal impact into a block (as well as side impacts). Wether or not it makes sense, just about every renault released in the last few (since 2001?) years got 5 stars - the five series only managed four. Obviously every accident is different, but in that standard test, the beemer came off worse than a car a fraction of the cost.

Ignore the wheel trim on the renault (didnt want to crash a costly one did they ) and to my eye the wheel hasnt come back as far as the five....
In the UK brochure I have that talks about the front being of alu, it seems to show as a shaded drawing the whole of the frontal section - inferring its all alu..... or there are extra bits its not showing that are steel....

cheers

steve
The question is why did it come out worse? If this is because of higher forces transmitted to the dummy by the body structure? Or by direct damage/trapping in a specific area (e.g. footwell)? Plus, the overall rating is actually the result of several partial ratings based on damage/force to various vital points. It could be something as "trivial" as an airbag triggering at the wrong time - which I think was a problem with early airbags on E36?
Old 11-07-2006, 10:31 AM
SRV
Members

Well, if I had to die I think a good way is going 155 mph in my BMW. It would be fast and how much fun I would have during my last seconds on this earth.

Of coarse I would not want to hurt anybody else or damage their property. SOmething tells me my car wouldn't hold up in this crash.

Because of this though I think my next purchase is an M-1 Abrams.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:35 AM
Members

My Ride: 06 530xi Silver Grey / Black Leather

Originally Posted by Doc Horror' post='353266' date='Nov 7 2006, 08:11 AM
I can't exactly tell for the E60 but as you can see in the pics of the following thread, the E64 is pretty safe (as well for the wife)

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=26839

Great link and pictures. Looks like the airbag was gentle on her implants.

Quick Reply: How Safe is the 5