E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

How much Voltage does our alternator's put out?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 07:00 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've searched the forum and have seen alot of different figures ranging from 14-15 Volts.
I was wondering if a few member's wouldn't mind checking their voltage by using the hidden menu(#9 Function that shows Voltage) in the cluster to see what their cars are showing while idling.

The reason i would like to know is this. Last month on my way down to Florida my alternator went bad(Im at 118k Miles), I ordered a Rebuilt alternator at a local Autozone For $115. The new alternator looked freshly rebuilt but the voltage regulator didn't. It looks like they used the existing regulator and rebuilt the alternator.I replaced the Alternator in the hotels parking lot. Everything went well and the car got me home.
Lately i've been checking the Voltage on the hidden menu and with everything off the voltage hangs out at around 14.1-14.3 volts which doesn't seem unusual except months before my alternator failed it would show 14.9-15.1 volts at idle. Another thing thats bothering me about the voltage is that once i start turning things on in the car my voltage starts dropping pretty bad.

Here's some examples of what i see while idling.

With everything off = 14.1-14.3 Volts
With A/C on Max = 13.1-13.3 Volts
With A/C on MAx + Lights and Fogs on = 12.4-12.6 Volts
With A/C On Max + Lights + Seat Warmers + Rear Defrost = 11.8-12.1 Volts
With Everything on that i could possibly turn on 11.3-11.7 Volts but seen it Dip down to 11.1volts!

So now im wondering if something is wrong with the alternator(or regulator) i recieved from Autozone. Even with everything i could possibly turn on the alternator should not have a problem maintaing a consistent voltage to the car. The main reason why this has been bugging me is because i also have developed a bit of a rough idle since and i also notice the cluster seems to slightly dim in and out.

So if some of you guys wouldn't mind(the more, the better) If you have a few minutes the next time your in your cars, Go to the Hidden Menu and take note of the voltage when the car is idling with everything off and the see what the voltage is when everything things is on like Max A/C, Light,Radio,Defrost,Seat Warmers and so on.
This would help me out a lot on figuring out if there is something wrong with mine or not. Also when you post your voltage can you let me know if your battery is OEM or aftermarket and if you registered it or not

FYI, I replaced the battery. Checked for water on flood of Spare tire compartment, and Disconnected the IBS to the batteries negative cable.
No CEL's either

Thanks a lot in advance

Regards
Old 03-02-2011, 07:20 AM
Members

My Ride: 2009 535D M Sport Carbon Black, 172s, Boot spoiler, Tinted Glass, Media pack, Visabilty Pack, Hifi Upgrade, Electric memory heated Seats, Heated steering Wheel, Sport auto Trans,

Hi a good alternator should kick out 13.8volts on tick over and not drop below 13 volts under load, once it drops below 12.5 volts you are taking voltage from the car battery so if you drove with every thing on in winter as you have to, after a few jorneys your battery would be flat. Check your earthing points if still no better you need another alternator.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:51 AM
Members

Originally Posted by andrewsweetnam
Hi a good alternator should kick out 13.8volts on tick over and not drop below 13 volts under load, once it drops below 12.5 volts you are taking voltage from the car battery so if you drove with every thing on in winter as you have to, after a few jorneys your battery would be flat. Check your earthing points if still no better you need another alternator.
Thanks, I did a quick check of grounds but i guess should check a little deeper.

I'd still really like to know what exactly is everyone seeing at idle with and with out load at idle, I'd really appreciate it
Old 03-02-2011, 10:16 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d -08 lots of goodies 120dA -06

14.7 - 14.8 is what mine is showing with the lights on, stereo on and the acc on auto.