E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

How much to extend warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 12:06 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm approaching the 45K mileage point and I'm thinking maybe I should extend the warranty. What is the procedure to do that? Is the pricing negotiable or do I need to just pay what the dealer tells me?
Old 03-24-2006, 06:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Its negotiable... I tried but I still didnt buy it. Its EXPENSIVE! for only 2 year coverage. maybe its better for you since you drive more milage. for me I'll never hit the 100K and will hit the 6 years before that.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

Be careful what you buy. I was talking to the sales manager at my dealer about warranty coverage and the I-drive and electronics coverages. He told me that the BMW extended warranty DOES NOT cover these systems. My dealer offers another warranaty for these systems, and told me that the additional warranty coverages vary from delaer to dealer. Please be sure you see that it covers these systems in plain black & white english. BMWs dont have many mechanical issues, its more related to software.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by redondoman' post='259251' date='Mar 24 2006, 11:06 AM
I'm approaching the 45K mileage point and I'm thinking maybe I should extend the warranty. What is the procedure to do that? Is the pricing negotiable or do I need to just pay what the dealer tells me?
What does a couple of years extra cost?

Whatever it will cost I'm not convinced that it's worth it.

The problems that might occur are usally some sensor problems,
and they are cheap to fix.

The expencive stuff is solid in a BMW( as far as we know).
Old 03-24-2006, 07:33 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='259364' date='Mar 24 2006, 03:30 PM
What does a couple of years extra cost?

Whatever it will cost I'm not convinced that it's worth it.

The problems that might occur are usally some sensor problems,
and they are cheap to fix.

The expencive stuff is solid in a BMW( as far as we know).
here two years extra is 3500euro
Old 03-24-2006, 07:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by 700700' post='259404' date='Mar 24 2006, 06:33 PM
here two years extra is 3500euro
One does get a great deal of parts and service for that money!
Old 03-24-2006, 07:47 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='259409' date='Mar 24 2006, 04:46 PM
well it is a no questions asked warranty so i expect so
Old 03-24-2006, 08:00 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine White/Biege 545i, CWP, Nav, Active Steering, Auto Step ordered 2/1/05

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='259409' date='Mar 24 2006, 11:46 AM
I am not sure about that...blow up your I drive processor and you'd be looking at a whole lot more out of your pocket.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:41 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a look at Not Covered of Certified Pre-owned Vehicles:
Upkeep Items
Maintenance; engine, transmission, and body adjustments; wheel alignment, balancing or rotation; wiper blade inserts; engine drive belts; spark plugs; filters; fuses; all batteries; all hoses and clamps (except air conditioning and power steering); oils, lubricants, fluids, refrigerants and coolants (except as required in the course of a covered repair); brake pads and rotors; brake shoes and drums; manual transmission clutch assemblies; suspension dampers (shock absorbers/strut elements); exhaust systems; tires.

Wear and Tear
All wear and tear items as defined in The Certified Pre-Owned BMW Protection Plan Consumer Information Statement (including all suspension parts and components).

Body and Interior
Paint; glass; headlamps; bulbs (except instrumentation); mirrors; lenses; body and chassis; body seals and gaskets; interior and exterior trim, moldings, and fasteners; upholstery, headliner, carpeting, floor and trunk mats; convertible top (all components except electronics); air or water leaks; wind or body noises; wheels; damage due to rust, corrosion, or contamination, except as covered by the BMW New Vehicle Rust and Corrosion Perforation Warranty.

Accessories
Radio/cassette player, telephone, navigation system, CD changer, or any components of those systems; non-original equipment parts, components or accessories.

Same for extended warranty that it won't cover electronics part. "or any components of those systems" which is i-Drive.

To me it's not worth it. Bring it to independent BMW shop and it'll much cheaper than bring it to dealer.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

To my knowledge,Certified Pre-owned is different than extended BMW coverage. I was quoted about $2200, as I recall at delivery, and I checked later and they said the price does NOT rise (even though labor rates do).

Note that there is generic (3rd party) coverage and BMW Exteneded coverage. I don't know about the electronic parts, but I do know that a cat converter, radiator, brakes/rotors, a clutch and some routine maintenance (at least on E39) could get you to $2300 in one or two out-of-warranty visits. Parts and service are PROFIT centers, so you need to decide if playing the risk game is worth it.

I buy and keep my cars (100K+ etc.), so I am strongly considering it, but will wait (without penalty) until more miles (and reliability) data are experienced. And that's one big reason why this kind of board and progressive mileage discussion is so critical in making informed insurance decisions.

Cheers,
Ray Hull

Quick Reply: How much to extend warranty?