E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

How much of a downgrade is the non Logic-7 sound system?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 08:34 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 - 530i Sport, Auto, Alpine White, Dark Poplar, Beige Dakota w/ Comfort Seats, Cold Weather Package (yeah I know I live in SC, but I love it on my back after a long day of golf), Logic 7, Parking Assist, & Auto Sunshade.

Totaled my 530i last week and have been shopping new e60's. Have driven about everything, and have pretty much settled on a couple 535i's that I like.

One of them I really like and it has pretty much everything I want except it doesnt have the Logic-7 sound system I had on my previous one. To those without the Logic-7 (and maybe who have never had it before) do you find yourself saying "Man this sound system in an e60 really stinks?" or will I grow to find it acceptable. Obviously on the test drive I spent most of the time with the volume almost off listening to the engine and car sounds. Plus I didnt have a CD or Ipod to try.

Any answers as quickly as possible would be appreciated I may be moving on something quickly.

Thanks,
Old 06-11-2011, 08:59 AM
Senior Members

I HAVE A NON LOGIC 7 AND DROVE MY FRIENDS 550I WITH LOGIC 7, IM MISERABLE WITHOUT IT! I HATE MY STOCK SYSTEM, BUT I AM USED TO IT. THE SPEAKERS ARENT TERRIBLE THE BASS IS LIKE A BAD EXHAUST SOUND. :thumbsdown:
Old 06-11-2011, 09:25 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 - 530i Sport, Auto, Alpine White, Dark Poplar, Beige Dakota w/ Comfort Seats, Cold Weather Package (yeah I know I live in SC, but I love it on my back after a long day of golf), Logic 7, Parking Assist, & Auto Sunshade.

Originally Posted by mazekid15
I HAVE A NON LOGIC 7 AND DROVE MY FRIENDS 550I WITH LOGIC 7, IM MISERABLE WITHOUT IT! I HATE MY STOCK SYSTEM, BUT I AM USED TO IT. THE SPEAKERS ARENT TERRIBLE THE BASS IS LIKE A BAD EXHAUST SOUND. :thumbsdown:
Thats what I am worried about if I buy this car will I be crying in my beer about it later. What I cant stop thinking about is how can someone order a car like this originally that is loaded up with almost everything else, and doesnt have the Logic-7 stereo?
Old 06-11-2011, 09:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Car

My 07 e60 had standard sound. My 10 e60 has Logic 7. The Logic 7 mids and high really sing but still lacks a bit on the bottom end. That said, there's no way I'd go back but I am thinking of adding a sub.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:25 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 M5

Never heard how Logic7 system sounds since my '07 530i came (CPO) with the standard audio packet...

I don't find the standard sound to be bad at all, it does the trick for me. The only thing that stinks, though, is that the sound doesn't get loud enough - if playing music from my iPod, which is my preferred way (98%) of listening to music in the car. Especially with windows and/or moonroof open, it just doesn't cut it. Have to add that my iPod is connected via line-in in rear of center console, which may account for some 'db' of loss... Still better than some "FM connector" solution.

I was looking to upgrade the amplifier, e.g. by replacing the standard with an after-market amplifier [or whatever else I may need], but all the guys giving advice about it in this forum are [rant] total electronics geeks and incapable of explaining anything in layman's terms. [/rant] [god bless their little microchip brains.. he he!].Better get a degree in electronics first if you're expecting useful help around here....

Hence, I'm hoping that BSW finally brings their "BSW PnP Amplifier Upgrade" to market, but those slowpokes show it as "in development" ever since I first learned about it (I think that was last year..). Not much hope here.

I'm sure there are other options to upgrade, but I haven't found anything similar (=Plug & Play) as BSW claims they have to offer.. some fine day.

Getting back to your question,
I find the speakers actually to be quite good - but I guess I haven't really been exposed to "fine car audio". As a matter of fact, the system in my GF's 2006 Jetta Wagon sounds way better, but she has the non-basic (premium?) sound system, so that's probably an unfair comparison...

If I were you, I'd go with the car if it's perfect otherwise, and upgrade the sound later... GL!

Cheers,
Armin
Old 06-11-2011, 03:28 PM
Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just google "535d audio upgrade" and see you can easily make it sound better then L7. I have standard audio (without tweeters) and I have upgraded mine, its awesome, better then L7 IMP, spent appx. £600 and a lot of time.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:51 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 M5

Originally Posted by AI001
Just google "535d audio upgrade" and see you can easily make it sound better then L7. I have standard audio (without tweeters) and I have upgraded mine, its awesome, better then L7 IMP, spent appx. £600 and a lot of time.
Thanks for the tip, AI001...
Unfortunately, I don't have the nerve to browse through a 387-page thread. Noticed the "Amp replacement pictorial" on page 2 and found the snapshots scary already...

Anyways, a few question that I hope you can help me out with:

- what's a "head unit"?
- this DIY is for a 535... would it be the same for a 530?
- can't I just switch out the Amp in the trunk and replace it with a more powerful one? If so, what unit/brand do you recommend (considering that I live in the US now and haven't seen much "Blaupunkt" around here..)?

Thanks!
Old 06-12-2011, 02:55 AM
Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its not 387 pages, 37-38 pages, I did go thru each of them to understand it fully before attempting it. All that diy will be applicable on all the E60s irrespective of engine size (520,525,530,535/i/d)

Head unit is your iDrive computer and you have to take it off and change some wiring harness to accommodate new amp. Standard audio here in the UK doesn't have amp but HiFi does have and TopHiFi/L7 has different kind of amp which reads its input using MOST interface. these are not interchangeable and upgrade path of all these are different. Living on the other side of continent you are better-off you will get better amps there (Balupunk/Alpine PDX/JL Audio) on much much cheaper price. I imported my PDX-5 from US. Here its all rip-off for the right stuff. Are you sure you have amp in the boot, first make sure you have one and then decide your upgrade path. That 38 pages long thread was on standard setup means with no amp, any other deviation in setup will different instruction.

On this (and various other) forum look for a guy called "Technic" he is expert of bimmer audio and related stuff, last time I read about his few posts he was giving solution within $1500 (mine £600 was GBP) but much better sounding and flexible then L7. He will give you readymade solution kinda plug and play and you don't need to cut a single wire from original car, all pnp.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:16 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't even know if my car has the logic 7, how would you find out? lol
Old 06-12-2011, 03:42 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Persian_535i
I don't even know if my car has the logic 7, how would you find out? lol
hah I was thinking the same. I like the sound of mine but was doubting I had the Logic 7 but am not 100%.

It sounds like the Logic 7 has tweeters. I'd imagine these would be visible in either the dashboard or above it to the right and left of the windshield going up a few inches.

Quick Reply: How much of a downgrade is the non Logic-7 sound system?