E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

How long does it take for a software update?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 03:28 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i Silver Metallic Gray w/Premium & Cold Weather Packages 2007 Red V-Star 1300 Tourer

Hello, I just bought a CPO 2006 530i (built 06/05) on Monday. I love it, but it has to go back to the dealer to fix a couple of nicks in the windshield. I am also having them install the aux port. My question is this, do they have to do a software update when adding the aux port? I ask only because my system does not play MP3 CDs, so I figured with the aux install, I'd kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Since I am out of the 4 year new car warranty, I am assuming I have to pay for the update with the aux install. How long should the update take and what exactly do the techs do? Do they just insert a dvd and follow prompts? Do they actually have to take apart the dash to get to a computer connection? Just want to learn a little bit about how all this cool stuff works.

Thanks,
Jim
Old 04-17-2008, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Couldn't tell you exactly what the techs do, but in previous posts I've read updates seems to take a day or 2. Usually the techs will let the software upload overnight and then come in the next day to test and check for bugs.

there are numerous threads about software upgrades to play MP3's, run a search using the upper right search bar...happy hunting...

congrats on your new (to you) car and to the forum. Post your location in your profile when you get the chance, as local members maybe able to help you out with future questions. Might want to put your car info in your profile also, as that helps to answer questions...
Old 04-17-2008, 04:05 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mime took few hours including oil change and such.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by marxbrother' post='563298' date='Apr 17 2008, 05:28 PM
Hello, I just bought a CPO 2006 530i (built 06/05) on Monday. I love it, but it has to go back to the dealer to fix a couple of nicks in the windshield. I am also having them install the aux port. My question is this, do they have to do a software update when adding the aux port? I ask only because my system does not play MP3 CDs, so I figured with the aux install, I'd kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Since I am out of the 4 year new car warranty, I am assuming I have to pay for the update with the aux install. How long should the update take and what exactly do the techs do? Do they just insert a dvd and follow prompts? Do they actually have to take apart the dash to get to a computer connection? Just want to learn a little bit about how all this cool stuff works.

Thanks,
Jim
Marxbrother....

hey there, althought I can't fully help you on all your answers, I can tell you that I just had my CCC software updated to Progman 21 or so since the dealer performed my MP3 retrofit, and I dropped my car off a 8am and they called me by noon the same day and told me the car was ready. So it shouldnt take more then a half day of work max. when you have time check this link and see Rudy's response to my posting as Rudy posted some detailed information on the proceedure and the service bulletin. One of the docs even goes into more detail about the proceedure then I understand, but at least it will give you an idea of what goes down.

Good Luck

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...mp;#entry558193
Old 04-17-2008, 05:39 PM
Contributors

The date of that update/fix is in one of the earlier posts ... I would think the appropriate s/w updates have been performed as part of the BMW Certification process? I'd politely raise that with the Service Manager. The progman updates to update the NAV for my car were done during a recent oil service. They had my car for about 1/2 day for it an a couple of other concerns.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

If everything goes well its about 4 hours... its downloaded thru a serial port thats why its so slow. I forget if they have to update the sw but they have to at least connect it to enable the AUX function. If your software is new enough they might as well enable MP3 too while they're at it... ask them. If you really want it I would have them do it at the same time.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

Harpo, Groucho, Zeppo and Jim. I didn'tknow there was another bro.

Welcome to the Forum. It can be a hoot at times, but is informative all the time.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 DINAN 135 convertible

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='563367' date='Apr 17 2008, 09:39 PM
The date of that update/fix is in one of the earlier posts ... I would think the appropriate s/w updates have been performed as part of the BMW Certification process? I'd politely raise that with the Service Manager. The progman updates to update the NAV for my car were done during a recent oil service. They had my car for about 1/2 day for it an a couple of other concerns.
I tried to get them to update the software as part of the CPO when I bought my car, but was told that BMW does not cover that or include it in the CPO. I agree that they should, but then I have read other threads where people complain that after the update stuff doesn't work the same (active steering feels different, new gremlins pop up, etc.).
Old 04-18-2008, 05:46 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i Silver Metallic Gray w/Premium & Cold Weather Packages 2007 Red V-Star 1300 Tourer

Thanks guys for all the helpful responses. I dropped the car off this morning and the SA told me that they will do the software updates (I gave him the SB posted in other threads) and install the AUX, but it may take 2 days (including the fixing of the windshield). Total cost for parts and labor = $300 + tax. I don't mind, I got a loaner from them.

Jim
Old 04-18-2008, 11:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Plan on 2 -3 days for a program.

I have had several updates done on my cars, and they always end up taking at least 2 days. The techs always say they program overnight, but that when they get there in the morning it will have messed up and they have to start over.

Sounds stupid, I know.

I mean, we live in the 21st Century. There HAS to be a better computer system they could use to accomplish this? Especially in a BMW. We aren't paying $$$ for second-rate computers with less CPU power than my cell phone.

Quick Reply: How long does it take for a software update?