E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

How do you prevent oil leaks?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 06:10 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by cmyachtie
Don't hold your breath on that, as long as sales continue like they are currently I am not expecting any improvements..
me neither. I think I have one more BMW purchase in me (CPO 128i), and then I hope to move to Tesla when the model 3 comes out. I just don't find anything in BMWs lineup interesting except for the i8. I remember going to the dealer and wishing I could have one of each. They're just not the same cars anymore.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:52 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cmyachtie
Unfortunately for you I guess these 545's are meant to be driven........case in point, I have not had any oil leaks myself and it' s my daily driver, however on 24th of February. I went into hospital for hip surgery. And my car was parked in my garage for over 6 weeks wen I noticed an oil leak and found that rather strange but reading this thread here explained it nicely as since I have been driving my car again regarly no more oil leak.......not a single drop!!
I guess I have to drive my X5M and E60 more. I was thinking of getting a M3/M4 but not sure if I want to deal with leaks because it is not driven too much. Maybe the next gen IS-F would be my next car.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:24 AM
New Members

My Ride: E60 545i

I just hit 80k and have leaks coming from everywhere. The alternator mount bracket and brake vacuum pump gasket area looked like it was leaking. My mechanic noticed that there was also a leak at the upper timing gasket and suggested doing that first from the top down. I'm spending $1,500 as I type to fix the timing gasket leak. Hope that stops the leaks but of course, that's wishful thinking for these v8s. There will always be something. The mechatronic sleeve is also leaking so that's an additional $500.

I've read that frequent oil changes help prolong the gasket life. BMW recommends changes at 12-15k but realistically, you should do them at 5-7.5k.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:27 AM
New Members

My Ride: E60 545i

On another note, does anyone think frequent short trips can create leaks? I moved where I would need to either walk or drive 1 mile to the train everyday. Saving time, I would usually drive 1 mile away. The engine barely warms up by the time I park both ways. Now I have leaks coming from multiple locations, but that may be due to age as well. Bad idea?
Old 04-22-2015, 09:53 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by ASpec818
On another note, does anyone think frequent short trips can create leaks? I moved where I would need to either walk or drive 1 mile to the train everyday. Saving time, I would usually drive 1 mile away. The engine barely warms up by the time I park both ways. Now I have leaks coming from multiple locations, but that may be due to age as well. Bad idea?
Short trips during warm weather won't be as severe as short trips during the winter. Since the engine doesn't get up to operating temp long enough to burn off any water in the crankcase, that water accumulates in the CVV hoses running into the intake manifold, and during cold weather with the car parked, will freeze and block the airway. With no way to vent the crankcase blow-by gases upon the next drive, the weakest part of the crankcase will fail, usually the gaskets. If your gaskets were already old and only partially leaking, they will now completely fail and allow pressurized oil to escape en-masse.

You are now experiencing this because of the winter weather that started it all a few months ago.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:16 AM
Members

Originally Posted by dingolfing
Short trips during warm weather won't be as severe as short trips during the winter. Since the engine doesn't get up to operating temp long enough to burn off any water in the crankcase, that water accumulates in the CVV hoses running into the intake manifold, and during cold weather with the car parked, will freeze and block the airway. With no way to vent the crankcase blow-by gases upon the next drive, the weakest part of the crankcase will fail, usually the gaskets. If your gaskets were already old and only partially leaking, they will now completely fail and allow pressurized oil to escape en-masse.

You are now experiencing this because of the winter weather that started it all a few months ago.

Thank you for the excellent explanation.
Can you let me know how to store a car during winter? Or do you suggest not to store and just drive car on winters?
Old 04-25-2015, 03:22 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW 550I BLK
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N62

Wow I shitting bricks now. I have a 07 550i I just went over 100k and i live in Jacksonville Fl. This is my daily drive car. From home to work and back and in and around car and my wife thinks it's her run around car after she gets home from work and parks her 2011 camary. But anyway I have not had any leaks yet. But I'm starting to notice my fan comes on faster that it is to. I just replaced some hoses and the fan 6 MO agao. And yesterday while slowing down in neighborhood traffic it felt like the tranny was lurching a Lil and the gears dropped back down. I'm thinking the mechatronic unit. But bmw says I don't need a tranny service. After reading some threads I thing I'm way overdue for a tranny job. The indy shop says it will be $610 out the door. And he says I should go with the red line fluid not the zf. Can anyone help with this?????
Old 04-25-2015, 05:11 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by star69me
Wow I shitting bricks now. I have a 07 550i I just went over 100k and i live in Jacksonville Fl. This is my daily drive car. From home to work and back and in and around car and my wife thinks it's her run around car after she gets home from work and parks her 2011 camary. But anyway I have not had any leaks yet. But I'm starting to notice my fan comes on faster that it is to. I just replaced some hoses and the fan 6 MO agao. And yesterday while slowing down in neighborhood traffic it felt like the tranny was lurching a Lil and the gears dropped back down. I'm thinking the mechatronic unit. But bmw says I don't need a tranny service. After reading some threads I thing I'm way overdue for a tranny job. The indy shop says it will be $610 out the door. And he says I should go with the red line fluid not the zf. Can anyone help with this?????
I'll assume you have an automatic transmission in your car, which is manufactured by ZF.

ZF literature mandates transmission servicing roughly every 50,000 miles, or sooner if you use the car for 'heavy duty' purposes, whatever that means.

BMW didn't manufacture that transmission, not even one singular component. Your dealer is flat out WRONG. You have to be very careful about taking advice at the dealer level sometimes. There is a LOTof misinformation swimming around, even at the dealer level. Last year I heard an SA at my local dealer tell a lady with a 2011 328i that she was overdue for a valve adjustment. I'd love to know how you adjust the valves on an N52 engine with hydraulic lifters. Service your transmission ASAP.

I always use ZF Lifeguard6 fluid. For me, it's not worth the risk. It's a $5000.00 transmission, so spending an extra $100 on the correct fluid is justifiable in my opinion.

If you're at 100K, I would replace the pan/filter assembly and refill the transmission with new fluid. Drive another one to two thousand miles, then do a simple drain and fill with another 6 liters of fluid.

Good luck with the car.

Last edited by KyleB; 04-25-2015 at 05:13 AM.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:12 AM
Members
Senior Members

Thanks Kyle b.. where can I get the fluid at
Old 04-26-2015, 05:23 AM
Members
Senior Members

To me its kind of a heavy duty drive back and forth to work even though it's only about 10 miles one way to my job it's like a race track in traffic and the roads are beat up and when they see you in a BMW they drive up you ass or they are either trying to force you to haul ass

Quick Reply: How do you prevent oil leaks?