E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

How do you feel it ? Adaptive Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 07:00 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow

I feel some times a jumping or I don't know what to call it but it is like shifting the gear from 2nd to 1th and suddnely pressing gas which let the car jump ... something like this is happening to me when I reduce the speed but not completely stopping .. :bashwall:

feeling is easy explaining is difficut

when the gear shifts from 2nd to 1th then speeding up .. I feel it holds the gear in 1th and then shifting it un-smoothly to 2nd .. this is happening sometimes ... ???

any Human on this planet felt that ?? behavior from adaptive transmission 545i
Old 10-19-2004, 07:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

As you say, hard to describe, so I'm not quite sure what you're experiencing, but it almost sounds like your car is downshifting.

In terms of the adaptive transmission, the way I feel it is more in the shift points. Doesn't matter if I'm in D or DS, if I am driving "normally" the transmission will shift at lower RPMs. If I am accelerating hard, the adaptive transmission will shift at higher RPMs to aid acceleration. For example, if I'm jumping to a fast start at a stop lights, the shift points will be higher, but say I then enter a residential neighborhood, so I slow done and am not pushing the car as hard. For a while after my driving has slowed, the transmission will still let the engine rev to higher RPMs, until it "learns" that I'm not accelerating hard, then it will lower the shift points to lower RPMs. Hope this makes sense.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:42 AM
Senior Members

YES, YES, and YES!!!!!!

That is a great explanation to what my car and I believe A LOT OF PEOPLE's CAR's here do.

When coasting, I'll get an abrupt downshift. It makes the car jump almost or chirp a little. I call it rough shifting. Check out that transmission poll. Cast your vote there.

It seems a lot of people have this problem. It's an intermittent one, so it's hard to show to the dealer (no fault found, normal operation!). I can't get mine to happen consistently- sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't, but it is very NOTICEABLE. My wife's Honda Accord shifts better than this car!

Comments anyone?
Old 10-19-2004, 09:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

I know what your saying acribb, I saw the poll earlier, but mine does not abruptly downshift as you describe your experience. What I described is mearly the transmission allowing higher RPMs when driving aggressively and using lower shift points for economy when not driving aggressively. That is how the transmission "adapts" or learns your driving style. Again I have not had any problems with unexpected, abrupt or rough downshifting.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

It's the same for me as with kscaroll. The car recognizes what I am doing and gives me more rpm or less rpm when shifting.

The clunk you mentioned is something I experienced for the first time yesterday. I gave gas to accelerate but decided not to and let the gas go. At that exact moment my steptronic was shifting up to a higher gear giving me a little whiplash because the car went forward all of a sudden without me pushing the throttle.. I think this is not a fault in the steptronic but me making a misjudgement and pushing the throttle while I should have waited..
Old 10-19-2004, 11:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Gentlemen, I can confirm this as well.

Having had the car 4 days, I noticed the following sometimes:
when coming to a easy going stop at the traffic lights ( so no hard braking )
the car would feel like going from 1st to 2nd and I would have to brake a little more decisevely to come to a complete stop.

I was intrigued by this ( a fault did not cross my mind ), so after some experimenting I discovered that since I have been cruising around on local roads
( 50km ) the car simply wanted to be always in a higher gear.
When coming to a stop, I tried to be slightly more firm on the brake - braking a
little later as it were, and not coast on the brakes all the way to the stop point.
It didn't it do it again.

This is the adaptive part of the system...still learning I guess. If you remember
how your driving behaviour was preceding this "jump" you can establish a pattern
and learn why it does it.....there is an explanation for everything.!!
Old 10-19-2004, 11:43 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by andy545' date='Oct 19 2004, 02:10 PM
Gentlemen, I can confirm this as well.

Having had the car 4 days, I noticed the following sometimes:
when coming to a easy going stop at the traffic lights ( so no hard braking )
the car would feel like going from 1st to 2nd and I would have to brake a little more decisevely to come to a complete stop.

I was intrigued by this ( a fault did not cross my mind ), so after some experimenting I discovered that since I have been cruising around on local roads
( 50km ) the car simply wanted to be always in a higher gear.
When coming to a stop, I tried to be slightly more firm on the brake - braking a
little later as it were, and not coast on the brakes all the way to the stop point.
It didn't it do it again.

This is the adaptive part of the system...still learning I guess. If you remember
how your driving behaviour was preceding this "jump" you can establish a pattern
and learn why it does it.....there is an explanation for everything.!!
[snapback]46763[/snapback]
I must add that I do indeed notice it when COASTING to a stop usually, or when my foot is NOT on the gas. I just get a little 'bump'. Nothing to harsh, it just feels out of place when the car seems to shift smoothly any other time.

Andy545 - you're right - if i'm always gassing it and applying brakes, I don't get these 'effects'.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:38 AM
Senior Members

The more software upgrades, the smoother my trans seemed to shift. Or is it because the more I drove, the more it "adapted"?

Mine used it hesitate when slowing down to a couple of mph and then not quite flooring it.