E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

How do YOU drive your Steptronic?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 09:52 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535i

Originally Posted by mookish
Well I'm strictly speaking of auto vs. manual with respect to shifting times. Not who has the faster car.
I was just joking.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Originally Posted by xcntrk
SMG isn't faster. It's just a manual transmission with automatic activation of the clutch. Manually shifting of the MT can be far quicker than automatic shifting of the SMG.

DCT on the hand is the obvious quickest across the board. DCT engages both rails of the gear selection simultaneously so the shift between gears is not affected by the delay of changing shift rails.

As for traditional auto vs manual; while many purists prefer manual transmissions (for obvious reasons), it?s been proven time and time again that automatics shift faster than manual (all things being equal). The time it takes for a user to manually depress the clutch pedal, grab the gear selector, make a gear change, and release the clutch has been proven a slower process then a traditional automatic shifting tranny can accomplish. Granted automatics are less efficient than manuals resulting in greater drivetrain power loss, can?t handle the same power outputs as manuals, and are significantly heavier than manuals. This is why they?re less popular in high power or high performance environments.
A little research on the ZF HP26 series transmissions will reveal that the torque converter locks very soon after launch and each shift thus elimininating much of the TC loss that people who dislike AT's complain about. As with all AT's, the torque converter also provides some degree of torque multiplication that is useful at launch. As much as I like to drive an MT from time to time, the AT has some pretty good performance benefits that cannot be overlooked.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:29 PM
Members

Location: Santa Fe Springs (SFS) - L.A. (SoCal) USA, North America, EARTH

Originally Posted by gwf545
A little research on the ZF HP26 series transmissions will reveal that the torque converter locks very soon after launch and each shift thus elimininating much of the TC loss that people who dislike AT's complain about. As with all AT's, the torque converter also provides some degree of torque multiplication that is useful at launch. As much as I like to drive an MT from time to time, the AT has some pretty good performance benefits that cannot be overlooked.
Very true. The only problem with the AT is that it's not so good for drifting. I come from having a Mazda FC in my past, so drifting is in my blood and having an AT makes it hard to get to my roots.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:04 PM
Members

My Ride: 550i

Originally Posted by Blue Magic
Last one, how do I beat my sister's POS 2002 Corolla off the line so I don't get embarrassed...again...

Thanks for your time

Newb of the year;

John
Get a bimmer with manual trans. BMW with auto is not even BMW - it's for lazy people which mostly care about how good cap holders are, or those without left leg.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:31 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Sport

Originally Posted by SFS550
Very true. The only problem with the AT is that it's not so good for drifting. I come from having a Mazda FC in my past, so drifting is in my blood and having an AT makes it hard to get to my roots.
Yeah although I'm not sure what AT/MT has to do with Drifting when the rear diff in both is wide-open.

Originally Posted by hooch999
Get a bimmer with manual trans. BMW with auto is not even BMW - it's for lazy people which mostly care about how good cap holders are, or those without left leg.
or for those who need their BMW to be drivable by their wife's who can't drive a manual ..!
Old 02-16-2011, 03:35 PM
Members

My Ride: F10 535i: Jet Black, Black Dakota leather, Sport Auto, Cold Weather, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance Plus, Dynamic Handling, Luxury Seating, M Sport, Premium, Technology, Rear Sunshades, Auto High Beams, BMW Assist w/enhanced BT and USB.

or for those who need their BMW to be drivable by their wife's who can't drive a manual ..!

Shameful!! Teach that woman to drive a stick........

When I was learning to drive my dad insisted that I learn stick. "Anything else is not driving, it's simply steering!" If I wanted him to buy me a car, it was going to be stick so I'd better learn how to drive it. I did!!!
Old 02-16-2011, 04:10 PM
Members

My 535 is the first automatic I've owned since I had an 82 Accord in high school. I know many will scream blasphemy, but I almost got a MT but preferred the SAT. I felt the shift throws were a bit long, but more importantly, I'm not as young as I used to be, and sitting in traffic for 45 minutes every day with my old G35 was getting a bit tiresome.

The auto in sport mode is hands down the fasting shifting auto I've ever experienced.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:10 PM
Members

Sir, you are an idiot.......
Old 02-16-2011, 05:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Yeah, that "without left leg" thing kinda went overboard a little, didn't it? Let's stick to good humor... with that, I'm out
Old 02-16-2011, 05:26 PM
Members

Hehe..

The auto shifts faster than a person can anyway. If it wasn't for the power loss through the torque converter, the auto would be quicker in the 1/4 mile than a manual.
I have a 535i SAT (paddles) YOU. WILL. NOT. SHIFT. FASTER. THAN. ME. EVER

Quick Reply: How do YOU drive your Steptronic?