E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

How do YOU drive your Steptronic?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 04:30 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Magic
Last one, how do I beat my sister's POS 2002 Corolla off the line so I don't get embarrassed...again...

John
Let the air out of her tires and chain the Corolla bumper to a big tree
Old 02-16-2011, 04:33 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Sport

Originally Posted by v_therussian
Dude, if you have less than three pedals, just leave it in automatic mode and stay in the right lane. Seriously
Hehe..

The auto shifts faster than a person can anyway. If it wasn't for the power loss through the torque converter, the auto would be quicker in the 1/4 mile than a manual.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:56 AM
Members

My Ride: F10 535i: Jet Black, Black Dakota leather, Sport Auto, Cold Weather, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance Plus, Dynamic Handling, Luxury Seating, M Sport, Premium, Technology, Rear Sunshades, Auto High Beams, BMW Assist w/enhanced BT and USB.

Dude, if you have less than three pedals, just leave it in automatic mode and stay in the right lane. Seriously

LOL!!!

I have SAT and always drive in steptronic mode, and launch at M1. I also downshift manually.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i SA M-Sport Package

550i SAT...HELLO
Old 02-16-2011, 08:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: check siggg

Originally Posted by xcntrk
Hehe..

The auto shifts faster than a person can anyway. If it wasn't for the power loss through the torque converter, the auto would be quicker in the 1/4 mile than a manual.
how is auto faster at shifting??? if you have someone who drives manual at the track or enjoys spirited driving he can easily shift faster than a automatic. dct/smg however, is a different story
Old 02-16-2011, 08:44 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jasperxli
how is auto faster at shifting??? if you have someone who drives manual at the track or enjoys spirited driving he can easily shift faster than a automatic. dct/smg however, is a different story
I have a 550i SAT (paddles) YOU. WILL. NOT. SHIFT. FASTER. THAN. ME. EVER.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:45 AM
Members

Location: Santa Fe Springs (SFS) - L.A. (SoCal) USA, North America, EARTH

Hold down the DSC button for 5 seconds to deactivate DSC. DTC will still be active so don't worry. Do as the other guy said, hold your break down, pick the RPM up to 2000 and let go of the break when it's time to go. You should win easily like this.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:15 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Sport

Originally Posted by jasperxli
SMG isn't faster. It's just a manual transmission with automatic activation of the clutch. Manually shifting of the MT can be far quicker than automatic shifting of the SMG.

DCT on the hand is the obvious quickest across the board. DCT engages both rails of the gear selection simultaneously so the shift between gears is not affected by the delay of changing shift rails.

As for traditional auto vs manual; while many purists prefer manual transmissions (for obvious reasons), it?s been proven time and time again that automatics shift faster than manual (all things being equal). The time it takes for a user to manually depress the clutch pedal, grab the gear selector, make a gear change, and release the clutch has been proven a slower process then a traditional automatic shifting tranny can accomplish. Granted automatics are less efficient than manuals resulting in greater drivetrain power loss, can?t handle the same power outputs as manuals, and are significantly heavier than manuals. This is why they?re less popular in high power or high performance environments.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535i

Originally Posted by mookish
I have a 550i SAT (paddles) YOU. WILL. NOT. SHIFT. FASTER. THAN. ME. EVER.
Unless he is in a 535i SAT with a simple tuner. lol.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:50 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ProMed
Unless he is in a 535i SAT with a simple tuner. lol.
Well I'm strictly speaking of auto vs. manual with respect to shifting times. Not who has the faster car.

I've driven all the BMW versions, I loved my manual because that's what I was brought up driving. The SMG came next and I was pleased, the best of both worlds and a traditional manual in a big 4 door luxury car just didn't make sense (IMO). Then came the SAT, much smoother than the SMG, quicker and you didn't have that "when is my SMG going to fail" constantly in the back of your mind while driving.

Quick Reply: How do YOU drive your Steptronic?