E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

How do you center the steering wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 04:39 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got back from the dealer and they replaced something in the steering wheel center that was clicking. A slip disc or active steering tilt sensor or something like that (I got several bs answers as far as I can tell).

Now the steering wheel is crooked and to the right and I want to straighten it myself rather than go back there and have them scratch my instrument cluster more (there are 2 small scratches now on the cluster).

Thanks.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by acribb' post='421223' date='May 4 2007, 05:39 PM
I just got back from the dealer and they replaced something in the steering wheel center that was clicking. A slip disc or something like that (no one could tell me what it was there).

Now the steering wheel is crooked and to the right and I want to straighten it myself rather than go back there and have them scratch my instrument cluster more (there are 2 small scratches now on the cluster).

Thanks.
There is a procedure involving turning to a full left and then a full right. Maybe someone else can elaborate more on the exact steps. Rudy?
Old 05-04-2007, 04:49 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i Sports Package, Black Saphire, Dakota Black Leather, Professional Nav, 6sp Auto ,Steptronic, Active Steering, Anti-theft Alarm, Xenon, Adaptive Headlights

Originally Posted by Hormazd' post='421224' date='May 4 2007, 05:42 PM
There is a procedure involving turning to a full left and then a full right. Maybe someone else can elaborate more on the exact steps. Rudy?

You should have to remove steering wheel and matchup the notch on the steering wheel and the steering column. This is how I did it on my e46 steering wheel.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by jshoope60' post='421226' date='May 4 2007, 05:49 PM
You should have to remove steering wheel and match up the notch on the steering wheel and the steering column. This is how I did it on my e46 steering wheel.
No such thing on the E60. Worst case, if it cannot be done by the owner then any BMW service center can do it in 5 minutes electronically.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Whatever you do, don't simply take the wheel off and re-center it like an "old-fashioned" car.

Assuming you have active steering, one of the two procedures in the following thread should work -- unfortunately, the one that's most likely to work is the one the dealer has to perform...

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=10461

The procedure that the dealer needs to follow is quite simple and should not take long at all:
RA__Adjustment_for_active_front_steering.pdf
Old 05-04-2007, 05:40 PM
Senior Members

I don't think it's as simple as reinitializing the active steering. I've had to do that several times after restoring battery power when I have worked on the car stereo. From what I can tell, turning the steering wheel to the left, then all the way to the right just resets the Active Steering system. It doesn't physically straighten the wheel which is connected to the column.

I'm pretty sure the tech put the steering wheel on crooked and I would like to somehow put it back on straight myself.

Rudy, can you look this procuedure up in the TIS for me?
Old 05-04-2007, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by acribb' post='421239' date='May 4 2007, 09:40 PM
I don't think it's as simple as reinitializing the active steering. I've had to do that several times after restoring battery power when I have worked on the car stereo. From what I can tell, turning the steering wheel to the left, then all the way to the right just resets the Active Steering system. It doesn't physically straighten the wheel which is connected to the column.

I'm pretty sure the tech put the steering wheel on crooked and I would like to somehow put it back on straight myself.

Rudy, can you look this procuedure up in the TIS for me?
The procedure you can do yourself (turn wheel fully left, etc.) usually won't help when work was done on the steering system. The dealer needs to hook the car up to the computer and perform the procedure I outlined above. There's simply nothing we can do -- it has to be done by the dealer. It will, in most cases, re-center the steering wheel.

Is your dealer one of the clueless ones? If so, they may have forgotten to do this procedure. Either way, there is a possiblility that they didn't attach something properly but it's so common that it's just the reset issue that I'm willing to bet that's what's going on here...

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=31820
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=23485
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=12497
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=6423
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=1379
Old 05-04-2007, 05:47 PM
Senior Members

Thanks Rudy. I initially only read the first part of your post, the one I wanted to believe.

Would this cause the steering to now pull to the right since the steering wheel is cocked to the right?
Old 05-04-2007, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by acribb' post='421247' date='May 4 2007, 09:47 PM
Thanks Rudy. I initially only read the first part of your post, the one I wanted to believe.

Would this cause the steering to now pull to the right since the steering wheel is cocked to the right?
Well is your car pulling or isn't it?

My experiences with this issue, although limited, are that the car still tracks straight (alignment is fine) but the off center wheel is simply a function of the active steering being confused as to where the top of the wheel is.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:24 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 645 Ci, Individual Stratusgrey Metallic with individual grey leather Individual Stratos metallic, Shadow line, Black Individual leather, 19'' ellisoid, Panorama sunroof, PDC, Dynamic drive, Adaptive steering, Adaptive headlights, Voice control, Logic 7, Prof sat nav, BT phone, TV, Heated Sport seats, Ski sac, light pakket, CD-changer. Mods (so far): iPod interface, K&N Airfilter.

I had an off-centered steering wheel, the dealer resetted the active steering and............
perfect

Quick Reply: How do you center the steering wheel?