E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

How do i make an MP3 CD?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 01:35 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear All, after the fright of my life from my local stealer, i have decided to knock the instilation of the iPod kit on the head. They quoted me ?195.00 for the kit, so i thought ok fair enough, however they said they couldn't put a final cost on instiliation as the time it takes depends on software decoding which needs to de done, even if your car is brand new, as mine is!!!!! So the best estimate they could come up with was "about ?410.00 plus the cost of the kit". So over ?600.00!!!!!

So i am going down the MP3 route as i dont want the trailing wires from my Ipod in the cabin.

I run I tunes on my PC. A friend of mine had a CD player that read MP3's in his old car and he told me he was able to get over 100 songs on 1 CD although he used Windows media player. Is this possible with i Tunes? as i have just tried to drag and drop files from 'My music' on my PC which are in an iTunes format onto a CD. I could only get the capacity for about 60 songs, and then they wouldn't write!

I am sure i am doing something wrong, is there a way to burn iTunes music as an MP3 file onto CD without comprimising quality?

Any help or instructions on how to do this would be greatly appreciated.
Regards
Dan
Old 01-05-2007, 05:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Gone Waiting

The best is Nero burning rom
Old 01-05-2007, 05:43 AM
Members

Nero is about the best, and you should be able to get it cheap on-line.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:03 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by danpercival' post='373855' date='Jan 5 2007, 10:35 AM
A friend of mine had a CD player that read MP3's in his old car and he told me he was able to get over 100 songs on 1 CD although he used Windows media player. Is this possible with i Tunes? as i have just tried to drag and drop files from 'My music' on my PC which are in an iTunes format onto a CD. I could only get the capacity for about 60 songs, and then they wouldn't write!
Digital music not only has a duration but a "quality". If you have "high bitrate" 4 minute song it will occupy more space on a CD than the same 4 minute song which had been created at a "low birate".

Invariably, the more similarly populated "tracks" on an MP3 CD, the lower the audio quality.

I guess f you wanted to listen to phone quality audio, you could probably get over 500 tracks onto a CD.

ABC
Old 01-05-2007, 06:35 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I can't offer too many details on iTunes but the following thread may help you out (if you haven't already seen it):
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=24018
Old 01-05-2007, 07:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by danpercival' post='373855' date='Jan 5 2007, 02:35 AM
Dear All, after the fright of my life from my local stealer, i have decided to knock the instilation of the iPod kit on the head. They quoted me ?195.00 for the kit, so i thought ok fair enough, however they said they couldn't put a final cost on instiliation as the time it takes depends on software decoding which needs to de done, even if your car is brand new, as mine is!!!!! So the best estimate they could come up with was "about ?410.00 plus the cost of the kit". So over ?600.00!!!!!

So i am going down the MP3 route as i dont want the trailing wires from my Ipod in the cabin.

I run I tunes on my PC. A friend of mine had a CD player that read MP3's in his old car and he told me he was able to get over 100 songs on 1 CD although he used Windows media player. Is this possible with i Tunes? as i have just tried to drag and drop files from 'My music' on my PC which are in an iTunes format onto a CD. I could only get the capacity for about 60 songs, and then they wouldn't write!

I am sure i am doing something wrong, is there a way to burn iTunes music as an MP3 file onto CD without comprimising quality?

Any help or instructions on how to do this would be greatly appreciated.
Regards
Dan
If your music in iTunes is in AAC format you've got some issues ahead as your audio needs to be in MP3 format for your E60 to be able to play it - both AAC and MP3 are supported by iTunes, but your car can't decode and play AAC files. If on the other hand your audio library is already in MP3 format already it's easy to make an MP3 disc. There are only two steps. Number one is to create a new playlist. You can name it whatever you like. Drag and drop your audio tracks into your new playlist. You can sort your playlist by track name, or artist at this point by clicking on the header for each column. Step two is your audio disc setup. In iTunes, select "preferences", then "advanced", then "burning". Select "MP3 CD" as your burning option. Select your playlist and click burn. As other posters have said the number of tracks you cam burn is essentially a function of file size which itself essentially a function of bit rate and thus audio quality. You should be able to get around 100 or more tracks on an MP3 disc using decent bit rates. Based on your description, I suspect you may have just created a regular audio CD (aiff format) or you may be using AAC files. If it's the latter, you can convert to MP3 (not recommended, as you convert from one lossy format to another and audio will degrade) or you can set iTunes up to import in MP3 and not AAC then try burning from new imports of the tracks you want to burn.

Good luck, keep us posted.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:14 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='373924' date='Jan 5 2007, 04:02 PM
You should be able to get around 100 or more tracks on an MP3 disc using decent bit rates. Based on your description, I suspect you may have just created a regular audio CD (aiff format)
I can get about 6-7 hours on an MP3 CD at "decent" (>=192kbps) bitrates. It then depends on the average duartion of each track as to how many tracks that equates to.

As for the OP possibly creating a regular audio CD, I doubt he could get 60 tracks of any sensible duration onto such a CD.

ABC
Old 01-05-2007, 07:15 AM
Members

The E60 will read CD -R and CD +R and assumming you have nav DVD -R and DVD+R. I use Nero burning Rom and you can convert files to .mp3 using the codecs under the Nero extras tab. I also use some software which you can down load free from codec central and convert my i-tunes .m4a files to .mp3, clearly there is a small loss in quality but I find the result perfectly acceptable and I have the Hi-FI speakers. I have about 65 albums on a single layer DVD which uses about 2/3rds its capacity burning at a bit rate of 192. The E60 also reads dual layer DVDs. When burning DVDs a little more care is needed with the settings in Nero.

I have an old August 2003 build 530d with bus nav and v23 CIP.

Hope this helps

Simon
Old 01-05-2007, 07:26 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by speuk' post='373926' date='Jan 5 2007, 04:15 PM
I have about 65 albums on a single layer DVD which uses about 2/3rds its capacity burning at a bit rate of 192.
Isn't there a limit on the number of tracks accessible on the DVD in the nav slot?

I thought I read about one one here somewhere.

Is that on reason you might only choose to use 2/3rds of its capacity?

BTW interesting to note that dual-layer DVD is readable in the nav slot but if indeed there is a limit on the number of tracks then this may end up being purely a technical attainment.

ABC
Old 01-05-2007, 07:39 AM
Senior Members

This might help with the conversion to MP3....

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?sto...031221152135219

Then burn the playlist to CD...

http://www.apple.com/ilife/tutorials/itunes/it4-2.html

Quick Reply: How do i make an MP3 CD?