5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   How competent are BMW techs (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/how-competent-bmw-techs-148967/)

jdim 10-08-2018 07:37 PM

How competent are BMW techs

Hi fellas,

Been trying to resolve the rough idling issue on my dad's car. Has code P0102 low air/low voltage. Decided to replace the MAF sensor and reset code, no use. So I decided to bring it to the pros at a local dealer. The code is not coming back, but the idle is still erratic. They deemed that the sensor is bad based on fault memory, and would cost $700 to fix it. This is absurd in many levels.

-They told me what I already know
-$700 to replace the MAF sensor is outrageous.
-The MAF sensor is new.
-It just cost me $175 for "diagnostics"

Do they not run comprehensive test for air leak/ coil pack/ injector faults? Some of the diyers on yt are more helpful than these 'pros'. Anyone has productive experiences at the shops?

seanjordan20 10-09-2018 05:14 AM

The dealership are mostly incompetent. Unless your car is under warranty there is no need to go. An Indy shop is the best place to go if you are trying to take it to a mechanic.

JayArras 10-09-2018 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by seanjordan20 (Post 1597132)
The dealership are mostly incompetent. Unless your car is under warranty there is no need to go. An Indy shop is the best place to go if you are trying to take it to a mechanic.

I would not make a blanket statement like that. I have found instances where some are very competent, but using a dealer is never going to be cheap. I would agree that finding a competent indy is your best bet if out of warranty, but the latter's competence can be all over the map too.

seanjordan20 10-09-2018 04:22 PM

I would make that statement because I have been to more than my fair share due to me moving a lot more than the average person and every time I've had to tell them what to do after misdiagnosing. Now there are some that are good but most troubleshoot on your dime. But the number 1 reason to go to the Indy is to save money and most were techs at BMW and left due to the rules dealerships have in place which gauge for profit.

utah 10-11-2018 07:16 AM

I don't know about BMW techs because I moved from Mercedes-Benz world. For years, I have been fixing everything myself, except changing tires. :)

Not sure if it is well known, but this site youcanic.com/vehicle/bmw has a ton of great DIY guides for BMW. They are meant for DIYers like me, so if you don't mind getting dirty try fixing your own BMW. ;) No more excuses.

JayArras 10-11-2018 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by utah (Post 1597160)
Not sure if it is well known, but this site youcanic.com/vehicle/bmw has a ton of great DIY guides for BMW. They are meant for DIYers like me, so if you don't mind getting dirty try fixing your own BMW. ;) No more excuses.

That's a GREAT resource! Thanks for sharing. :twoup: I think I'll post it as a sticky in the DIY section.

utah 10-11-2018 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by JayArras (Post 1597165)
That's a GREAT resource! Thanks for sharing. :twoup: I think I'll post it as a sticky in the DIY section.

That would be a great idea.

Moderator note: Done!

jdim 10-12-2018 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by utah (Post 1597160)
I don't know about BMW techs because I moved from Mercedes-Benz world. For years, I have been fixing everything myself, except changing tires. :)

Thanks for the link. I was a bit frustrated that having spent $400 and not getting a satisfied result. They didn't bother to calibrate the steering wheel sensor after the alignment. I had to use INPA to wipe out all the codes, then calibrate with an ODB scanner.

banglenot 10-12-2018 05:55 AM

Don't forget there are outstanding tutorials from other sources -- though these usually assume you've found the cause and you want to do the repair:

Best repair videos I've seen are Autodoc from the UK;
Then Bavarian Auto and Pelican Parts (many photo guides too).

Whenever considering a repair, spend an hour reviewing the videos form several sources to get clear on what you're doing.

Nowadays, for most repairs, it's a major mistake to just grab the toolbox and start in. Get educated first.