E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

How to check if the high beam assist is really working or not?

Old 11-07-2007, 09:08 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Hey mates,

I have a 525i with the high beam assist option, but im not sure of its working or not! The ?A? mark with flash sign appears on the dash board but I didn?t notice any real assist! I have tried it in dark roads, but still its not showing anything!

So anyone has any method to check if its working or not? Covering the camera for example (it didnt work!)?

Thanks
Old 11-07-2007, 10:20 PM
Contributors

With high beam assist on, your full beam should come on whenever its _really_ dark (no street lights or oncoming cars). If you want to manually put full beam on to see how the lights should look, push the light control forward again. (E.g., once for auto, twice for manual).

Personally I think this feature is useless ... for me it would not enable full beam on roads that I would (one tiny street light and it would switch off). Also I was getting flashed by oncoming drivers because it was too slow at disabling. I always switch it off whenever I see the "glow" of another headlight in the distance, before the actual car. Auto assist does not disable until the oncoming headlights are pointing at you, by which point you've blinded them. Even worse, if you are on a corner, it wouldn't disable until they were much closer or until the road straightened out. So I went in to iDrive and disabled the option completely and now only use manual headlights. This feature was a waste of money and certainly not a "safety improvement" !
Old 11-07-2007, 10:56 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

... of all the features on my car, this option is the one where I and my car still have different opions...

Sometimes it's really great, but I have also annoyed more than one person by "enlighten" them while being only a couple of meters behind. I'm sure he said something about bl**dy BMW drivers...

But I would like to see a Mark II of this feature that
* don't care about road signs that it thinks is a approaching car and keeps the head beam on.
* switch ON when it's really dark on a country road - I still don't get it why it refuses
* stop BOING-ing me whenever we driver over the Oresundsbridge. Ok, so the field is slightly covered... so, don't switch on then. Don't give me warning on the display, the iDrive and on my HUD. It's not that serious...

Oh, well. The feature was quite cheap...
Old 11-08-2007, 02:08 AM
Members

thanks mates, so i conclude that mine is not working!!!! i never see one flash whatsoever! i will recheck the sensor again maybe its not working or somthing! but the i-drive should pop up this if its not working, didnt it?
Old 11-08-2007, 02:22 AM
Contributors

Hmm not sure if iDrive would show an error for this one. Just to check, if you push your high beam lever forward ONCE, the lights do not come on, but you get the blue "//A" icon come up inbetween your dials. Then, push it forward again, the normal blue "high beam on" icon comes up at the top of the centre console, and the lights come on?

It is possible to disable the auto function from within iDrive (as I have done), so when you push forward once, the manual high beam comes on and the "A" function is no longer active at all.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:04 AM
jcp
Members

My Ride: 530i M Sport Touring LCI. Platinum Gray. Beige Dakota leather. Brushed Aluminium trim. Media package. Side blinds. Auto dim mirrors. Comfort seats. Storage compartment pack. Extended interior light package. HUD. DVD prep in rear. IPOD interface.

Also check your lights are on automatic, and you are not turning them to the manual on position. I think the assist feature only works in the automatic setting.