E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

How can I TEST my 2004 e60 Xenon Adaptive Headlights to make sure they

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 07:32 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 e60 M5 Replica Titanium Silver Premium Package Premium Sound Package Adaptive Xenon's Apple iPhone cell interactive pared with iDrive Bluetooth setting 19 inch BMW OEM 166M rims, Michelin tires Sprint Booster - V2 Fidelity / BMW Extended Warranty 7 year / 100,000 miles
Thumbs up

Dear e60 forum:

How can I TEST my 2004 e60 Xenon Adaptive Headlights to make sure they Swivel as my e60 turns in a curve? Seems like I remember before when they were working, while I was at home/office before or after I start or turn off my e60 key switch, they would swivel once and I could see them on my garage door at night to indicate they were working properly? Now mine don't work now, and now they don't do that, and make a noise as if their trying to swivel.

Guys: I need to know if this is the actual BMW e60 self TEST, because my BMW dealer S/A says their now fixed, and trying to charge me $200.00 for re-programing my Adaptive headlights in my idrive he called me on the phone Friday, and said takes 3 hours and would keep my car over the weekend, while I drove their loaner, but 15 minutes later when I rode by the BMW dealer checking on my car, and all employees looked surprised and asking what I was doing there, and said good thing you drove by because he said now their fixed, and could pickup my car in a hour!! (This is the same BMW dealer that I caught putting 35 miles on my BMW a few months ago when in for routine servicing the when confronted and saw I had beginning mileage documentation when I dropped my car of the morning, that matched theirs, and now the ending mileage with the additional 30 miles, and the manager apologized and gave me a new $40.00 BMW umbrella and a free tank of Gas, which was nice but I don't like the idea of my car being used for joy rides by one of their employees, I am just sharing this TRUE story with you guys to be sure to write down you mileage when you drop off your BMW for service and then check it when you pick it up, and hope you want find they took you BMW on a lunch break, etc joy ride!!)

I don't see a difference on the road, or better yet on I believe was the TEST when they worked properly, and now their not, and I want to be able to explain to him, (my S/A) the BMW Swivel Headlight TEST mode in detail on Monday.

Also I had my tires filled with Nitrogen at my dealer for 49.00, and put 35 lbs of cold air pressure in each tire, and he said they did, but when I drove my car home I notice it pulling to the left or right and basically all over the rode, so I checked my tires to see if they had put 35 lbs of cold air pressure in ALL four of my tires, and found they did not, and here was my actual findings per tires the next morning, before I drove anywhere to get an accurate cold air pressure readings:

Left front: 31.0lbs. / Left Rear: 32.0lbs - Right Front: 29.0 / Right Rear 32.0lbs.

Thanks for your help in advance!!

Eddie aka Presley348
Old 06-13-2009, 07:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i sport

Your story made me think of this movie:

How can I TEST my 2004 e60 Xenon Adaptive Headlights to make sure they-richardedsonferrisbuell.jpg

On a serious note, the only way I know of checking the adaptive feature is working is by 1) ensuring your lights are on auto. Adaptve will not work in the "on" position. 2) Go down a dark street and verify they move as you turn your steering wheel. Sorry man, sounds like you need to find a new dealer! Good luck...
Old 06-13-2009, 07:49 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

Park in a dark location or in an indoor garage. Before you turn on/start the car, leave the headlight switch on the left-most position (auto). When you start the car, the headlight beam will dip a little and return to the normal position. In a dark location or at night, find a safe location to drive straight at about 15 mph. Turn the steering wheel left and right. The headlight beam should turn in the direction of the steering wheel.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 e60 M5 Replica Titanium Silver Premium Package Premium Sound Package Adaptive Xenon's Apple iPhone cell interactive pared with iDrive Bluetooth setting 19 inch BMW OEM 166M rims, Michelin tires Sprint Booster - V2 Fidelity / BMW Extended Warranty 7 year / 100,000 miles
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by -Mike-' post='910936' date='Jun 13 2009, 11:44 PM
Your story made me think of this movie:

Attachment 81979

On a serious note, the only way I know of checking the adaptive feature is working is by 1) ensuring your lights are on auto. Adaptve will not work in the "on" position. 2) Go down a dark street and verify they move as you turn your steering wheel. Sorry man, sounds like you need to find a new dealer! Good luck...

----------

LOL, Thanks man for the laugh, and I think I am going to find me another BMW dealer, but it all depends on Monday's outcome when trying to deal with them trying to charge me 200.00 on my adaptive headlights that still don't work!! Like most everyone I do not like it, but all in all I don't mind for paying for BMW quality work, but not on work that was not effective, and they still try to hit me with a $200.00 invoice, and lie about checking, and putting in 35lbs of Cold Air tire pressure, after I paid $49.99 for their new LIFETIME (as long as I own the BMW in question), UntraFill High-Purity Nitrogen Tire Inflation...

Eddie aka Presley348
Old 06-13-2009, 09:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by vkhong' post='910945' date='Jun 13 2009, 10:49 PM
Park in a dark location or in an indoor garage. Before you turn on/start the car, leave the headlight switch on the left-most position (auto). When you start the car, the headlight beam will dip a little and return to the normal position. In a dark location or at night, find a safe location to drive straight at about 15 mph. Turn the steering wheel left and right. The headlight beam should turn in the direction of the steering wheel.
You can test it parked in your garage as well. The adaptive lights should swivel left and right as you turn your steering wheel.
Mine do at least, in the morning before going to work, and in the parking garage leaving work.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:18 PM
Contributors

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by vkhong' post='910945' date='Jun 13 2009, 11:49 PM

------------

THANKS!!! I just tested that way in the Auto position in my garage, and the first time they seem to work and dipped and returned to original position, but made a little noise, then the second test they did dip a little, but did not come back in original position, and made a louder noise, then on the third test my findings was the same as the second test. For sure my headlights still are not fixed, and I am sure I will be at BMW most of the day trying to get them fixed and then I will pay them their $200.00, (my BMW has 31,000 miles and I still have an 7yr/100,000 miles extended warranty, but Fidelity will not pay the 200.00 for re-programing my idrive, but my S/A said they will PAY for the headlights hardware, so they will swivel...funny thing when I purchased my Fidelity warranty in 2004, it was suppose to be their ultimate policy and cover most everything and everything in my idrive and on board hard/software...but now their trying to back out paying!! I will be study my fidelity policy this weekend on hopefully can show them on Monday where it said this, and fidelity extended warranty was sold by that same BMW dealer and still is to this day.

Thanks again e60 forum for your feedback!!

Eddie aka Presley348
Old 06-14-2009, 07:32 AM
Contributors

I just verified that the headlight dip test does not require an engine start. It's just engine on, no starting required.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:41 AM
Contributors

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by vkhong' post='911193' date='Jun 14 2009, 11:32 AM
I just verified that the headlight dip test does not require an engine start. It's just engine on, no starting required.

----------

...So my car does need to be stated to perform the Headlight Dip Test, and thanks for the heads up! Do I need to still leave the headlight switch in AUTO mode, or just the ON mode or either?

Thanks in advance!!

Eddie aka Presley348
Old 06-14-2009, 02:01 PM
Contributors

No engine on required. However, you do need engine on, headlight on auto and be in the dark (so the light beam can be visible).
Old 06-14-2009, 02:13 PM
Contributors

i love the adaptive headlights, it looks like it just wokeup or like it blinked very cool.