E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

How to burn MP3 cd's and DVD !

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 06:47 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After searching the Forum for the best way to burn a MP3 disc I'm confused. Have spent the past nights trying to figure out how to burn a MP3 disc for Nav Pro display. Probably ruined 10 cd's just trying to optimise the presentation on the screen.

I've organised about 40GB of music on my hard disk, I've used Musicmatch for this, which by the way is a great program. However I cannot get a good presentation of the songs available on the cd when playing in the Nav Pro display. It's really annoying.

Anyway, this is my best tip how to burn MP3 for Nav Pro play.

First, organize all ripped CD's in folders:
Artist - album

Second, organize all MP3 with the following naming:
Track title - Artist - Album- Track title (Musicmatch allows you to batch rename files)

Then use Nero to burn a MP3 disc.

Drag ripped CD's as you please.

Burn!

These are my try-outs:

Using Musicmatch and burned as MP3 Cd (seems like Musicmatch only support ISO level 1 for MP3?)

How to burn MP3 cd's and DVD !-dsc00176.jpg

Using NERO and burned as data Cd, some ID3 tags seems to be left out. MP3 tags seem to not be consistent. Tags hown for the Anthony rip but not for the Richardson rip.

How to burn MP3 cd's and DVD !-dsc00177.jpg

How to burn MP3 cd's and DVD !-dsc00178.jpg

Burned as MP3 disc in NERO: The Richardson tag still a little bit off, showing the CD tilte as well, indicating something different with the MP3 tagging.

How to burn MP3 cd's and DVD !-dsc00171.jpg

How to burn MP3 cd's and DVD !-dsc00172.jpg

How to burn MP3 cd's and DVD !-dsc00173.jpg

Burned as MP3 disc DVD in NERO: here is also some bug with the tagging as shown for Dire Straits. The cd tilte is shown in the artist field.

How to burn MP3 cd's and DVD !-dsc00166.jpg

How to burn MP3 cd's and DVD !-dsc00167.jpg

How to burn MP3 cd's and DVD !-dsc00168.jpg

How to burn MP3 cd's and DVD !-dsc00169.jpg

Burned as audio cd with CD-text in NERO:

How to burn MP3 cd's and DVD !-dsc00180.jpg

REMEMBER TO TICK OF THE DETAILS TAB!

How to burn MP3 cd's and DVD !-dsc00174.jpg

If you have a proven burner recipe feel free to join in!
Old 03-02-2006, 06:51 AM
Senior Members

WOW. Feel lucky you have mp3 capability, and DVD!
BTW: Could you write anymore bigger than that?
Old 03-02-2006, 07:11 AM
Senior Members

I don't have Nav and my e60 is too old to play MP3's (which is cool cos I have my ipod now).

But... have you tried using CD RW and DVD RW - I'm pretty sure the Cd player plays rewritable and ALL DVD players do. That way you can mess about as much as you like without using up lots of media.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:47 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 Mystic Blue 530i, beige/poplar wood interior, steptronic transmission, prem, sport, & sound pkgs, comfort seats, pdc, all weather mats, red reflectors, NAV, ACC, HUD, satellite radio, heated rear seats, rear sunshade, cold weather pkg, active steering

Originally Posted by td5223' post='234569' date='Feb 4 2006, 05:15 AM
For those of you that struggle with the file names in the new CIP 20 MP3 interface, here is some help:

By default if you burn a CD in say Nero, the setting is ISO Level 1 with 8.3 filenames. This will make your folders and files look like something like this : (Example artist Alex Lloyd) "ALEXLLOY".

If you change the settings to Iso Level 2 you suddenly have long file and folder names up to 31 characters. If you however dont change anything else, the character set will default to ISO9660. This will make the artist appear in your Idrive screen as "ALEX_LLOYD" (all caps, no spaces, annoying!)

Finally, you should change Character set from ISO9660 to ASCII. This will solve the problem and the artist will show as "Alex Lloyd".

Please see the image for a screenshot from the nero burning version 6 rom screen.

How to burn MP3 cd's and DVD !-post_2949_1139047990.gif
hope this helps
I found this post very useful. Unfortunately, I was not able to change the character set with RecordNow DX which caused a problem with an artist that had an accent character in her name - Beyoncẻ.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:31 AM
Members

I just had my 2006 530xiT (E61) upgraded with the latest CIP (car was build on 5/05 and has navigation). It only took the dealer 5 (!!) days (weekend in the middle) to do the upgrade...

so now i'm able to play MP3 CD's.. kind of..

I burned a CD with several folders and all the folders are recognized by the player, but i have the following issues:

When i'm in the folder menu (Root>foldername), pressing PREV/NEXT from the steering wheel does not do anything.

When i'm in the top i-drive menu (Communications, Navigation, Entertainment, Climate), if i press PREV or NEXT, it starts at the beginning of the current song... but the song number in the lower-left hand changes (MP01-01 changes to MP01-02 etc.)

Somehow it only plays the first song in any directory

Anyone experiences the same problems?
Old 03-02-2006, 08:40 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 520d M-sport - Steptronic - Carbon Black - Auburn Leather - Mem Seat - Cup Holders - Nav Pro - Light Pack - Dim/folding mirrors - Adv Airco - PDC - Aux/in - Non-smoke pack - De-badged - Delivery Mar 31, 2006

Have you tried to put the CD or DVD back into your PC and check if the ID3 tags are present. I can hardly believe that the burn process will drop some of the tags. Perhaps there is a bug in the program that rips the CD to MP3. In those rip programs, you have to tick the ID3 tag info to be filled in. If it is not, there are options to edit the tags separately wihtout haivng to go through the ripping process again.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:02 AM
Members

I just got mp3 capability today. I used iTunes (Mac version). From your library your create a playlist. Then click on Preferences and select burn as data cd. Then go to BURN and voila MP3 in my 545. I did it at 12x speed since I heard that faster may mess it up. Worked great. Hope this helps someone who uses iTunes (which IMO is the easiest digital player out there).
Old 03-03-2006, 11:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: (E60) 535D M-Sport (DMS)

Thanks for the info.

I get my car back tomorrow & they've confirmed that mp3 playback on the CCC is now enabled (hooray). SO i'll be burning away over the weekend.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:06 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i 2004 Yukon Denali XL 1998 Volvo S70 T5

How did you guys get your SA to upgrade your software to recognize your mp3's? Is this something that they should perform or only will perform when pushed? I have a 05 545 and I can't play mp3's as of now. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 03-03-2006, 11:11 PM
Members

Originally Posted by R. Edward' post='249594' date='Mar 4 2006, 06:06 AM
How did you guys get your SA to upgrade your software to recognize your mp3's? Is this something that they should perform or only will perform when pushed? I have a 05 545 and I can't play mp3's as of now. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

If your car is produced between 03/05 and 10/05 you can get the MP3 upgrade covered by warranty, given that you have NAv Pro (with SA 609 CCC-Navigation).

See New MP3 Service Bulletin & CD/CDC Mute Bulletin

Quick Reply: How to burn MP3 cd's and DVD !