E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

How "BAD" is the stock suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 09:04 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering what people think about stock suspension (meaning no sports package and no m-sport package). Has anyone driving both stock and non-stock suspension give me some idea of just how "BAD" it is? Is the lacking of "Active Roll Stabilization" really "BAD" too? I know that the smaller tires and the higher stance will also change the driving mechanics of the car so please comment on these as well.

This is for the E60 5 series and the reason I'm asking is wonder I should dismiss cars w/o sport/m-sport package.

Thank you.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:09 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

i can only comment on a 550 with sport package/suspension and with active roll bar. i think the car handles great. it's kinda amazing how well the car takes corners. no body roll hardly.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

The non-sport suspension is not at all bad. While a sport-equipped car is sharper and nimbler, the non-sport car is still a relatively solid handler. All AWD E60's are non-sport (the "sport pack" on the xi models is entirely cosmetic) so more E60's have the standard suspension than some may think. Personally, I think the sport pack - and ARS in particular - significantly improves the handling on an E60. That said, don't lose sight of the fact that the standard suspension is still pretty good... Try both and see what you think.

To give you one additional data point, a non-sport 545 was tested against a sport-equipped Mercedes E500, the Infiniti M45 and the Cadillac STS in a Motor Trend comparison a few years back. For the purposes of this discussion, the key quote from the test was that they felt that "the 545i is a sublime machine with a suspension tuned to be perhaps the perfect compromise between ride and handling, an engine that speaks like Miles Davis's trumpet, and a chassis that feels more solid than the USS Ronald Reagan's keel."
Old 09-08-2010, 10:35 PM
Members

I see. Thanks for the replies so far. So in other words, will I regret not getting a car w/ the sports suspension? Note: I have never owned a BMW before so my expectation will be a little different from others.

Is there significant body roll when driving a non-sport suspension car when turning? I remember reading a lot of praises for the ARS but I read one posting about it being "artificial" so I assume it's mostly a very worthwhile option.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

I have the Xi (AWD) E60 - a 2006 530Xi with a manual transmission and a sport package (which is mostly cosmetic, plus it adds the sport seats, which I love).

Handling. Well, yes, ARS does help in the curvy stuff. Having said that, my counter argument to that has always been my own experience from various driving events, where my "lowly" 530Xi hung on with some serious E60's, like 550i M-Sport and even M5's.

On a RWD (aka "i") E60's without sport suspension, handling will be greatly reduced compared to Xi, due to lack of all wheel drive.

So in my experience, the ARS-equipped cars are the best E60s for dry handling. However, the best all-season E60, that happens to handle almost as well, would be the E60 with the X-drive system. As for the RWD without ARS (or sport package) - I wouldn't even think about touching it with someone else's checkbook, unless I needed it for spare parts.

Last thing I wanted to share. When I was buying my car, I used an independent dealer, who located the car for me. It took a few weeks for him to find the exact car I wanted, but what I wanted to tell you is: I specifically told him to not even look at cars without the sport package.

Good Luck with your search
Old 09-09-2010, 04:02 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 E61 530D - Dynamic Drive - Active Front Steering Sport Seats - Voice Control - Head Up Display - Nav Pro - Bluetooth - Panoramic roof - Front/rear heated seats

If you can get your hands on an ARS / DD equipped car, please do so! Huge difference.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:18 AM
Contributors

Get the sport model u get better comfortable seats then in the non sport. Both still feel sporty one just feel more sportier and if you get M just push the M button and your car turns into a monster.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:19 AM
Senior Members

great posts here. first of all, don't think you need the sport's package because of the seats. i actually prefer the non-sport seats because i am taller and don't find the leg extensions to do much but annoy me.

a lot of the bmw's with sport mode have to have sport mode activated by pressing a button every time you're in your car. the reality is that a lot of people will eventually stop pressing that button and activating their sport suspension. so then they are just back to a non-sport suspension. i actually don't know (maybe someone else does) which models have and don't have the sport button.

i have test driven both and i don't think it's a huge difference. i think you probably should just find whatever car you want and if it has the sport's package, cool...if it doesn't, it's not going to ruin your life. swajames and v_therussian said it well.

as a side note, the sport's package has some drawbacks also. the run flats can be expensive and problematic. you can easily swap them out for other non run-flat tires, but then you'd also need to buy a spare. so you might want to take those extra costs into your purchase as well, or at least be aware the run-flats can be costly if you do not replace them.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:35 AM
Contributors

I have the stock suspension. I've also driven the msports as a loaner. There is a difference, you can feel it and tell that the Msport is better handling. But the stock suspension is superb as well. I personally prefer to sacrifice a little bit handling and gain on comfort. I definately would not be happy driving long on average condition B-roads with the sports suspension. It is harsh and I bet you'll be searching for non runflats within a couple of months of getting the car.

On the other hand i loved the sports seats. I definately prefer them to my own which they definately lack lateral body support.And the leather is far better that the crappy wafer thin leather of the standard ones. Definately check if you can get these without the msport trim.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:08 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

It is so good, lowering the car for the most part would only be for cosmetic reasons.

Quick Reply: How "BAD" is the stock suspension?