E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Honestly...

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 05:43 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

Originally Posted by Blue Magic
So I'm taking a right turn into sorta an uphill road, got a 525 so its not the most powerful car but when I try to gas it a little harder, there is sort of a LAG until there is "that sound" then my car catches up, I might not make sense and sound a little crazy but honestly, I have no idea what that sound is and if that lag/sound is bad for my car...maybe I shouldn't be stepping on the gas at all and drive like a new driver...help!
sounds to me like you're in the wrong gear, and there is a lag while the tranny downshifts for you. You can make this happen sooner by pushing the throttle all the way to the floor, past the kickdown detent. You'll feel the throttle go past this notch and then the tranny should downshift immediately. Hold the throttle all the way down to the floor until you reach your desired speed. The tranny will upshift at redline. Trust me, this is why we drive BMWs.

Another approach: next time you approach this turn, put the tranny in M/S and manually downshift BEFORE you get to this turn. Get the revs up, then make the turn and accel up the hill in the lower gear. See if this makes any difference. I bet it will. The owner's manual recommends driving in M/S mode (higher shift points) in hilly terrain anyway.

I once talked to a guy with a M-B E55 AMG car, and he told me he has never had the throttle flat to the floor. My god, what is the point of having a car like this without ever letting the engine sing...
Old 11-02-2011, 05:43 AM
Members

Yeah thats right! Too much gas not enough revs thats why I'm getting that lag, well I'm glad its nothing wrong with it and I just need to learn and work on my throttle control, thanks igngnot, thanks guys!

haha people from canada are too friendly

and my word isnt law here either im just giving an opinion - try a transmission reset if its an automatic or smg, also yeah traction control could be the culprit but that blinks a little light on your dash when it kicks in. honestly though it sounds like you just need to ease into the gas and find out how much the car will take at what moments. not to say dont ever floor it, but like, take a half second getting to the floor
Old 11-06-2011, 11:43 AM
Members

Thanks for the input boys, appreciate all the help.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Thats the put in fob key, press start twice and then step on the pedal for 25 seconds right?
Yup, it certainly couldn't hurt and it DOES only take 30 seconds!

BTW, remember to floor the pedal when you are resetting!