E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Homelink garage door opener only works if engine is on

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 07:19 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530i, build 03/06, European delivery 05/05/06, Mystic Blue Metallic, Beige Dakota leather and Poplar Grain wood trim. Options: Sport Package, Active Steering, Park Distance Control, Premium Package, and Cold Weather Package. Upgrades: BMW Ellipsoid (Styling 121) cast alloy wheels, AC Schnitzer Aerodynamics Kit, 3M Clear Bra, and RaceMesh Grill.

I have an 07 530i with the push/stop button. I can only operate the Homelink garage opener when the engine is on.

Other cars we have owned that have this feature allow you to open or close the garage doors even if the key is removed from the ignition. Meaning the garage opener is on all the time. Pull in to the garage, turn off car and close the garage door or get in car, open the garage door and start car. Seems logical to me since you don't want exaust fumes to take over your entire garage before opening it.

BMW forces you to have the engine on. IMHO this should be changed so the garage door opener is on all of the time. Is there a way to change this through I-Drive?
Old 09-10-2006, 07:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Yup It annoys me that you have to have the engine on to operate the garage door openner. But theres no way to change it without hardwireing power up there yourself.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:25 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, Alpine White, Beige Ltr, Sport Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Steptronic, Nav, Satellite Radio, Split Fold Rear Seats, V1

I noted the same inconvenience. I have not found a way to alter this. It will work with the vehicle power on without the engine started. Try a short initial push on the start button which powers the car without starting the engine.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order as of May 6- 2007 530i Titanium Grey and Grey Leather, with Sport Package, Premium Pkg, Cold Pkg. 2006 Porsche Boxster

I find the button works even better if I take a garden hose run it from the exhast pipe striaght to my mouth. Then press the button.

Old 09-10-2006, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

The opener will function without the engine running as MidnightRider says. You just need to power up the car and it will work.

I seem to remember a thread a while ago explaining BMW's logic as to why you need the key to use the Homelink. Let's say you have your car parked in the driveway of your house -- a thief could press the button and gain entry to your home (he could smash the window if the car is locked) which is usually not something you'd want to have happen...
Old 09-10-2006, 07:52 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530i, build 03/06, European delivery 05/05/06, Mystic Blue Metallic, Beige Dakota leather and Poplar Grain wood trim. Options: Sport Package, Active Steering, Park Distance Control, Premium Package, and Cold Weather Package. Upgrades: BMW Ellipsoid (Styling 121) cast alloy wheels, AC Schnitzer Aerodynamics Kit, 3M Clear Bra, and RaceMesh Grill.

Rudy, I read that thread and it is a valid point. That is why I was wondering is this could be a user selectable setting using I-Drive since we all have different views on how the Homelink option should operate.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Ya iDrive option would be good. and also maybe residule power. Like for the windows. Allow for the Garage door openner to work till you open the doors after engine shut down and allow for the garage door openner to work for few mins when the car is booted up in the morning. ie through unlocking of the doors or openning of the door.

See someone wasnt thinking at the BMW design integration center.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='333100' date='Sep 11 2006, 12:21 AM
See someone wasnt thinking at the BMW design integration center.
Unless there were lawyers involved...then they might have been thinking a bit too much...
Old 09-10-2006, 08:58 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='333102' date='Sep 10 2006, 09:27 PM
Unless there were lawyers involved...then they might have been thinking a bit too much...

Ya its weird... lawyers cant even get their laws straight.

Lexus allows for the use of the Universal remote to be operated with out the car being started or turned to Position 2. (* or in the IS's case push the start button twice with the foot off the brake*)

But doesnt allow for any use of the NAV / radio controls / phone / mp3 title displays when the car is moving... basically the whole touch screen is almost locked out.
There is also a I agree screen. You figure that one out.

BMW allows for the use of NAV / Radio controls... basically the whole iDrive while the car is moving

But doesnt allow for the Universal Garage door openner to operate when the car is shut down.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='333105' date='Sep 11 2006, 12:58 AM
Ya its weird... lawyers cant even get their laws straight.

Lexus allows for the use of the Universal remote to be operated with out the car being started or turned to Position 2. (* or in the IS's case push the start button twice with the foot off the brake*)

But doesnt allow for any use of the NAV / radio controls / phone / mp3 title displays when the car is moving... basically the whole touch screen is almost locked out.
There is also a I agree screen. You figure that one out.

BMW allows for the use of NAV / Radio controls... basically the whole iDrive while the car is moving

But doesnt allow for the Universal Garage door openner to operate when the car is shut down.
A couple years ago, I was shopping between a Toyota Sienna and a Honda Odyssey. Each had their own pluses and minuses but one of the major factors in my choosing the Honda was the fact that you couldn't program the navigation in the Toyota while you are moving. Give me a break! I realize it can be distracting and/or dangerous to use these things while driving but it's likely just as dangerous to have to pull over every freaking time you need to adjust the nav...

Anyway, I don't think you can compare the "lawyer screen" issues (distraction while driving) with the issue of the homelink not working without the key. Unfortunately in this day (and especially in this country) it's possible that BMW could be sued if a "bad guy" were to gain entry into someone's residence by using the homelink. Say someone was injured (or killed) in their home as a result of this situation -- it's not a stretch to think that BMW would be named in a suit and possibly found negligent, etc. If an option was given in iDrive to allow the owner to choose a setting, the "typical" owner may set it to work without the key and not realize the risks associated with it. If something bad were to happen to that owner, the lawyers would still argue that it was BMW's fault for designing that option in the first place.

That's what I was implying when I mentioned the lawyers earlier. I think that the lawyers probably had something to do with BMW choosing to allow the homelink to work only with the key...

Quick Reply: Homelink garage door opener only works if engine is on