E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

A HOLE IN MY DOOR PANEL BECAUSE OF THE SEAT BELT

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 01:45 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 525 D 02/2008, Carbon schwarz , M package, xenon adaptive, navigation, 135 18 wheels.etc
Smile

Hi
Just arrived to my parking, opened the door, and got out of the car, I closed the door behind me but a strange sound came out, something like smashing something, I turned and discovered the seat belt nut penetrated the door panel, I have a crazy hole on my E60 2006 door panel, I am so pissed off :'( , I always have problems with BMW stupid seat belt :thumbsdown: as it stuck 2 times of 3 between the door and the car, I have already a nice scratch inside the door but I have never imagined getting such a problem.
1st question: My car is still under warranty, do you think BMW France would understand such an accident??
2nd question: can I order the panel and replace it my self with airbag consideration, how much it would cost me? or even could i try a camouflage of the hole, I will be posting photos tomorrow

any help would be greatly appreciated
ps, I am still in love with my car
Old 01-13-2007, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

It's hard for me to visualize exactly what happened here but it sounds like it should be a warranty fix, right? Any chance of posting some pics so we can see what's going on?
Old 01-13-2007, 03:05 PM
Senior Members

If it's what I'm thinking it's a very common problem. It happened on my E34, wife put one in my E39, and so far I don't have a hole in my E60 (but I don't let my wife drive it anymore either) . I doubt BMW will cover it under warranty but you're welcome to try.
Old 01-13-2007, 03:41 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW 525 D 02/2008, Carbon schwarz , M package, xenon adaptive, navigation, 135 18 wheels.etc

i will be posting photos tomorrow with sun light
thanks for your help
Old 01-13-2007, 03:44 PM
Senior Members

Sorry to say, but this sounds like an asshat award

(Any Paneristi around? )

Same thing happened with a guest in our car. Luckily he left only a hardly noticable dent!
Old 01-13-2007, 03:57 PM
Members

what is strange, I changed my e60 twice since 2005, seatbelts on both 05 and 06 are not comfortable and each time I get out of my car the seat belt engine doesn?t pull the belt back fast enough and it gets stuck and the door doesn?t close, this time it was stuck horizontally, and when I closed the door, it made this damn hole
I am inpatient to get to my BMW dealer Monday to see what a solution we could find.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:00 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Originally Posted by rakan' post='377856' date='Jan 14 2007, 12:57 AM
what is strange, I changed my e60 twice since 2005, seatbelts on both 05 and 06 are not comfortable and each time I get out of my car the seat belt engine doesn?t pull the belt back fast enough and it gets stuck and the door doesn?t close, this time it was stuck horizontally, and when I closed the door, it made this damn hole
I am inpatient to get to my BMW dealer Monday to see what a solution we could find.
Not that it will be any consolation...
The E90 seat belts are the same; they don't retract fast enough.
I've been lucky so far but a number of people have done some damage due to the seat belt slamming against the trim.

Hope it works out for you...
Old 01-13-2007, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

So did the seat belt buckle or "nut" penetrate the door? (I'm still having a hard time figuring out how a seat belt nut can do this...)
Old 01-13-2007, 07:44 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='377897' date='Jan 13 2007, 11:15 PM
So did the seat belt buckle or "nut" penetrate the door? (I'm still having a hard time figuring out how a seat belt nut can do this...)
In both my E34 and E39 is that the silver part of the buckle itself gets caught when someone exits the car. The black part of the buckle gets in the b-pillar while the silver part punctures the door trim as the door closes. In both cars the door material right inside the door jam winds up with a hole looking like someone punctured it with a giant flat head screw driver. I'm guessing the E60's have the same issue. Come to think of it I think my wife did the same thing to our E53.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Talk about coincidence... I drove with my wife to Lowe's yesterday and as we are getting out of my e60 she says, "Oh, I forgot to tell you what I did to my car (e39) the other day." and she goes on to tell me how she punctured the interior drivers side door panel when she closed the door on the seat belt buckle. Apparently the belt retractors just aren't quite durable/strong enough to do the job. Now I guess I need to remember to check before I close my door...

Quick Reply: A HOLE IN MY DOOR PANEL BECAUSE OF THE SEAT BELT