E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Hit and Run WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 01:51 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2000 540i/6: Silver
Model Year: 2000

This reminded me of something that happened last week that MIGHT make you smile about the shitty situation....or not...

I was with my cousin in his E36 M3 and we had just picked it up from the shop after a matte silver paint job and a bunch of other mods.
It was around midnight in porter ranch, ca at the best buy plaza which is a huge ass plaza.
It was really really windy, and we were driving very slowly in the parking let when all of a sudden a shopping cart started rolling towards us, at which point I turned and said, "dude theres a shopping cart coming this way", the damn cart built so much speed it literally was like an attack of the shopping cart which we could NOT avoid, it hit the side of his m3 and dented the shit out of his rear panel. The fucker came out of nowhere. I know it sucks, but I couldnt stop laughing. It might have just been something like that and not a car that hit you.

I know its got nothing to do with you or your car, but shit happens sometimes, and I guess, the moral is, take it lightly?

Just felt like sharing. GL
Old 01-06-2011, 02:10 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by FRONJONI
This reminded me of something that happened last week that MIGHT make you smile about the shitty situation....or not...

I was with my cousin in his E36 M3 and we had just picked it up from the shop after a matte silver paint job and a bunch of other mods.
It was around midnight in porter ranch, ca at the best buy plaza which is a huge ass plaza.
It was really really windy, and we were driving very slowly in the parking let when all of a sudden a shopping cart started rolling towards us, at which point I turned and said, "dude theres a shopping cart coming this way", the damn cart built so much speed it literally was like an attack of the shopping cart which we could NOT avoid, it hit the side of his m3 and dented the shit out of his rear panel. The fucker came out of nowhere. I know it sucks, but I couldnt stop laughing. It might have just been something like that and not a car that hit you.

I know its got nothing to do with you or your car, but shit happens sometimes, and I guess, the moral is, take it lightly?

Just felt like sharing. GL
Oh man! He didn't make you get out of the car to stop it? I totally would have screamed/yelled at my passenger to get out and take the hit
Old 01-06-2011, 02:48 PM
Senior Members

lol this all happened in literally less then 9 seconds. the time it took to see the cart, tell him there is a cart, and its speeding up was so fast. We accelerated hella fast, I mean its an M3, and thats why it hit the rear panel. Otherwise that thing was coming right for us! (south park joke for those that watch)
Old 01-06-2011, 02:52 PM
Senior Members

what made it ten times funnier was that the parking lot was emptyyyy. I mean deadd. We could've done donuts for days and not hit anything, and randomly out of the dark comes this cart and PLOW.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:54 PM
Senior Members

Wish it was a shopping cart but the 4 holes line up to a license plate tested it with my own license plate and it deff from a car or truck. SUCKS.

Does anyone know if I purchase a OEM mtech bumper from a 2008 550i LCI would it fit my 2008 528i LCI without modification? Or will I need brackets?
Old 01-06-2011, 03:07 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by leese8080
Update - "It stays on the insurance record as Non-chargeable loss. Furthermore, it is required to report to DMV if over $750 in repairs (for CA at least, unsure about other states)" Reporting to DMV is the only way that DMV can track that the vehicle is properly insured. - Yes, seems weird.

This is a reputable source.
In WA it's $700, or at least that's what the highway patrol officer said when she showed up during rush hour to investigate when I got rear-ended last month. Sucky part is that the average highway patrol officer isn't educated enough in collision repair to asess the damages accurately (In my case, she said, "I don't see any damage. The car that hit you just got your bumper a little dirty and you should be able to wipe it off"). In my case, the officer told me that the damage caused to my bumper was less than $700, and that she would not write up a police report for the incident. I argued that it cost me $700+tax to refinish and paint the bumper a year ago, and she still sent me on my way without a write-up. I immediately drove to my collision repair shop and they did an estimate of repair of $840. Would have been nice if the officer was a bit more educated in the matter. To be honest though, I'm a bit unsure what I would have gained anyways getting the police report, and if a police report helps anyways for getting rear-ended in stop and go traffic.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:37 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 530i Mystic Blue

Originally Posted by FRONJONI
lol this all happened in literally less then 9 seconds. the time it took to see the cart, tell him there is a cart, and its speeding up was so fast. We accelerated hella fast, I mean its an M3, and thats why it hit the rear panel. Otherwise that thing was coming right for us! (south park joke for those that watch)
Damn that super sucks.. What's the chance of that happening in an empty lot? Damn.. Should have set that cart on fire afterwards. LOL
Old 01-06-2011, 04:19 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: m54

sorry man that sucks good luck with the repair or replacement
Old 01-06-2011, 07:09 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport SMG, 2010 550i M-Sport, 2010 E92 M3

Bummer. Should be a fairly easy repair. As mentioned, get a couple of estimates, and weigh that against your deductible.

My hit and run incident was estimate at $6400. Nerweezy with Trinity Autosport set me up with an M style replica front bumper and sides.
I should get the car back next week. As for me, my X-ray was normal but I still have shoulder pain, so my doc says its time for an MRI, and possibly surgery to fix a possible ligament tear.
I wish mine was just four little holes, instead of being in my car with a near head-on collision.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:16 AM
Senior Members

Update if anyone is interested. The car that hit me has a modified plate holder that attach on the tow hooks.

Quick Reply: Hit and Run WTF?