E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Hit and Run WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 05:54 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07 530i Mystic Blue

Update - "It stays on the insurance record as Non-chargeable loss. Furthermore, it is required to report to DMV if over $750 in repairs (for CA at least, unsure about other states)" Reporting to DMV is the only way that DMV can track that the vehicle is properly insured. - Yes, seems weird.

This is a reputable source.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:00 PM
Senior Members

** "It will stay on the record, however, your insurane will NOT go up as it will be classifed as 'Not at fault Loss'"
I would take it to a shop and see how much it'd cost to repair. Few estimates?

Good luck bro. Feel free to PM me if I can ask any other questions for you or need further clarification.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i

sorry to hear... GL
Old 01-05-2011, 06:15 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 528I Sport/Prem

Daaaaaaaaamn man!! I hate to see that, OMG. I hope everything works out fine.

It looks esasily fixed though. If not, maybe get a MTec replica rear?
Old 01-05-2011, 06:39 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: check siggg

ouch man!
Old 01-05-2011, 06:44 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Don't it depend on the insurance company?

A few years ago I had a hit and run accident at my university's parking lot, and I had AAA take care of it. I can't remember the total cost, but it was a few grand. My premium did not go up, and incident was not recorded against me.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:55 PM
Senior Members

Appreciate everyones kind words and advice! You know what suck? I say my bmw realible but I spending $2-$3k in fixing these mishaps so its depressing .
Old 01-05-2011, 09:07 PM
Senior Members

## Please note that I'm no expert on this matter, but I will try to help/advise ##

Per my family member in the insurance industry, this is what she had to say. She does NOT deal with claims, but has a better idea than I.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Types of Coverage:
1. Liability for other party - <required by law>
2. Collision Coverage for your car - <optional, but required if leasing>
eg) collision with car/object(pole)
3. Comprehensive Coverage [incidents that you have no control over] - <optional, but required if leasing>
eg) hit-run, key marks, vandalism, stolen vehicle, loss due to wind/water, fallen tree branch, and etc
** Insurance premium will not increase for comprehensive coverage repairs.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Case: Two incidents. First - key mark on his hood(?) from a few weeks ago(?), Second - hit/run (today)
Opinion: These are two separate incidents and will thus be reviewed separately most likely. As such, if you decide to go through your insurance to fix them, you will need to pay deductible twice unfortunately.
Suggestions:
1. Find out your coverage.
If you have a lease, you should be fine. Most people have collision/comprehensive coverage anyways and is recommended especially for high-end vehicles.
2. Find out from your insurance company website for its ?certified shops?
At the shop: State that you want to receive an estimate and will go through your insurance once settled. They should give you a 'reasonable quote.' Subsequently, if you decide to pay out-of-pocket, you have a reasonable idea of the cost and can present the quote back to them.
3. Obtain estimates from non-certified shops.
================================================== ==========================================
- Bumper repair/replacement: when going through your insurance [Fail = unavailable]
<<Use as a reference>>
1. If repairable, it will get repaired and not replaced.
2. No.1 fails: Recycled part will be used (differs by insurance company)
3. No.2 fails: Aftermarket part will be used (differs by insurance company)
4. No.3 fails: OEM part will be used (differs by insurance company)
* If less than 12 months/12,000 miles - OEM new part will be used (differs by insurance company)

- M-tech bumper 'Upgrade', if bumper replacement required: You will have to speak to your insurance claims agent. This may/may not be an option. In case they do, they will probably ask you to pay for the difference. Please consult with the agent if going this route as it differs by case/insurance company's policy.

Looking at the damage, it appears repairable.

* Please feel free to correct me or chime in to share your expertise/experience.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:17 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Your deductable should be at least a couple hundred $$ (if not you need to raise it). That little damage minus the deductable means you will ask the insurance company to cover a very small amount. Not worth letting them know about it it in my opinion. It ALWAYS counts against you in one way or another.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:34 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 550i '84 Nissan S12 Turbo

Insurance won't go up unless you have multiple claims within a certain period of time. One claim within 4-5 years shouldn't make it go up. Every insurance company plays by a different set of rules though, and also the same insurance company will have different rules in different states. Best bet is just call them and find out in your specific scenario. They'll tell you exactly what you need to know.

Quick Reply: Hit and Run WTF?