E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Hit And Run(Please Help)

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 03:47 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Guys, Somebody just hit my car and ran away. The damage was pretty serious. The Insurance Deductible is US$300. but, it will cost me 175 bucks if I bring it to VolksWagen bodyshop. The insurance is willing to replace my old bumper(From BMW). I'm worried about bringing my E60 to VW detail shop because I dont think VW have the same paint for Jet Black. They suggested to repaint my bumper. I Wish There is BMW Detail Shop. Do u guys have any suggestion for me? :'(
Thanx A lot Guys..I'm really confused.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by Yoko' post='386090' date='Jan 31 2007, 06:47 PM
Guys, Somebody just hit my car and ran away. The damage was pretty serious. The Insurance Deductible is US$300. but, it will cost me 175 bucks if I bring it to VolksWagen bodyshop. The insurance is willing to replace my old bumper(From BMW). I'm worried about bringing my E60 to VW detail shop because I dont think VW have the same paint for Jet Black. They suggested to repaint my bumper. I Wish There is BMW Detail Shop. Do u guys have any suggestion for me? :'(
Do you not have a BMW dealer nearby? Surely they have a body shop they deal with regularly. Otherwise it really shouldn't be a big issue. the VW shop can/will get the proper BMW paint, they won't just apply VW's black to your car (I hope!)...
Old 01-31-2007, 06:59 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550, Sport, Navi, PS, CWP, Sirius

Originally Posted by Yoko' post='386090' date='Jan 31 2007, 07:47 PM
Looks like you a very lucky person that somehow managed to avoid car accidents till now. Seriously though any decent body shop will get BMW original paint and original or like and kind replacement parts. It does make sense to go with BMW dealer's or BMW approved body shop, especially for E60. On the other hand if all that needs to be done is paint the bumber, VW shop should be able to do it right.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:48 PM
Senior Members

Thanx A Lot guys for the suggestions.. The VW said, they do not use BMW paint to repaint my bumper, but they do have 5 different color of blacks. so, i think it will be okay.. Thank You.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:10 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Yoko' post='386415' date='Feb 1 2007, 06:48 PM
Thanx A Lot guys for the suggestions.. The VW said, they do not use BMW paint to repaint my bumper, but they do have 5 different color of blacks. so, i think it will be okay.. Thank You.
Yoko, that is not OK. Even if it is a VW body shop, they should order the proper BMW paint. It's not like BMW won't sell it to them because it is some secret formula. They should not just use the "closest" black that they have. I would not accept this and you shouldn't. Do you not have a BMW dealer near you who can recommend a body shop they work with? Almost all dealers have a regular shop that is trained in BMW paints and body work.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:26 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='386434' date='Feb 1 2007, 06:10 PM
Yoko, that is not OK. Even if it is a VW body shop, they should order the proper BMW paint. It's not like BMW won't sell it to them because it is some secret formula. They should not just use the "closest" black that they have. I would not accept this and you shouldn't. Do you not have a BMW dealer near you who can recommend a body shop they work with? Almost all dealers have a regular shop that is trained in BMW paints and body work.

BMW has their own body shop, but it'll cost me $500. VW detail shop will just cost me $50. I have my own BMW paint but I dont have much. Should I give it to them?so that they can use it on my car. Or I have to go to BMW detail shop?
Thanx A Lot kscarrol. Glad you informed me about this.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

Hang on a sec. Any decent body shop will have a colour mixing system and colour matching equipment. For God's sake - DIY shops have it nowadays to match your wall to your curtains. :'(

Paint recipes from manufacturers are not secret, and updated regularly to take into account batch variability in pigments etc (I worked in a body shop for a few summers). It sounds to me like this supposed VW body shop does not know what to do and/or is only interested in getting a quick buck. If you had a 15 year old banger, then it may be good enough, but on a new car it sounds silly.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:00 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Yoko' post='386459' date='Feb 1 2007, 09:26 PM
BMW has their own body shop, but it'll cost me $500. VW detail shop will just cost me $50. I have my own BMW paint but I dont have much. Should I give it to them?so that they can use it on my car. Or I have to go to BMW detail shop?
Well, first I'd ask the VW shop why they can't get the BMW paint to be a perfect match. If that is the cost difference (their less expensive paint vs. the BMW paint) then run to the BMW shop, they don't sound like a very reputable shop to me. Otherwise it is up to you. The VW match is likely to be poor and the different paint formulas will fade at different rates over time, magnifying the difference between the two shades of black. I'm still a bit confused on the price difference, why the two estimates, $50 vs $500? Or is the BMW $1,000 with $500 deductible vs $550 at VW with $500 deductible?
Old 02-01-2007, 11:52 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by dlevi67' post='386463' date='Feb 2 2007, 03:33 AM
Hang on a sec. Any decent body shop will have a colour mixing system and colour matching equipment. For God's sake - DIY shops have it nowadays to match your wall to your curtains. :'(

Paint recipes from manufacturers are not secret, and updated regularly to take into account batch variability in pigments etc (I worked in a body shop for a few summers). It sounds to me like this supposed VW body shop does not know what to do and/or is only interested in getting a quick buck. If you had a 15 year old banger, then it may be good enough, but on a new car it sounds silly.
Well said.

There's no such thing as "BMW Paint".

ABC
Old 02-02-2007, 03:10 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Yoko' post='386459' date='Feb 1 2007, 10:26 PM

Where you get the paint from is not the issue!! You have a colour code in the car's spec sheet. (This is usually written inside the engine bay somewhere or in the trunk (boot) or on the door sills). That is all any bodyshop will need.

Many BMW & Mercedes dealers here in the UK send their cars to external bodyshops. The paint mixing facilities are all computerized nowadays and very efficient. At the end of the day, if you are not happy with the end result from the VW shop, they'll have to make it right.

Quick Reply: Hit And Run(Please Help)