E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Hit head on by a sob

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 08:00 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So this is my first post here on the forum. Usually I just read but since my car is now totaled, I figure I should post something. I was driving home with my girlfriend and her two brothers after a family dinner when some jackass going the opposite direction decided it would be ok to make a left turn. I was already in the intersection so I couldn't do much to avoid him. All I remembered was that the front and side airbags went off, the front windshield cracked in three different places, and the driver side window busted on my face. He sent us flying across three lanes as I climbed onto the curb missing two poles but taking out a fire hydrant. Thank god it was around a dunkin' donuts so cops reacted fast, not to be typical or anything. But also BMW SOS system was quick to respond as they called for additional help and rushed my girlfriend and one of her brother to the nearby hospital. Of course nothing happened to the other driver because he was in a Ford Explorer, he didn't even get out to see if we were ok. I'm sure he was trying to drive away because is car was down the road as witnesses and cops chased after him. After the police did what the had to do, issued him a ticket, the owner of the Explorer approached me. I already had glass all over myself so I was like, "the hell with it". Took my shirt off and walked toward him. Some cop lady grabbed me and was like "so your shirt just flew off?". Another cop was like "hey, it takes a lot not to get out and beat his ass". All I said to the other guy was, "I'm glad you're not hurt, see you in court".

Sorry for such a long story. But I'm pretty pissed. I've always been a happy and humble guy but I look at the situation and it could have been a lot worst. Not to mention that my girlfriend was seriously hurt. We had to take cat scans and x-rays; was in ER for 6 hours. Now without my 550i, I have to rely on my R1 for transportation in this 90+ weather we're having here in Maryland . I have an M3 on the side but I am waiting for a window motor from BMW. On the bright side, I am looking forward to purchasing either an E60 M5 or F10 550i. Thanks for taking time to read about my accident. I've been a member on this forum for a few month. I own an auto/motorcycle shop in Rockville, MD. I will post pictures of my car after I go to the tow lot . Here is what it was before.

Hit head on by a sob-img_0877.jpg
Old 07-26-2010, 08:06 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

That sucks, glad you're okay and hopefully your GF will be fine too. Good luck replacing the 550, but if the morn is at fault get an atty - quickly. Make sure he buys you an M5
Old 07-26-2010, 08:16 AM
Contributors

Dude, all that matters that you and your occupants are safe. Shit happens, people are dumb and stupid, but the end of the day you are okay and everything else can be replaced.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:18 AM
Members

true true, I looked at my car and was like, Damn...there was also a drop on the side of the road. A few more feet and we would have went off.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

I hope your GF makes a swift recovery and good hear you are well. Good luck getting it all sorted out and enjoy searching for your next 5er...
Old 07-26-2010, 08:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Geez, glad that for the most part everyone is okay.

What was the traveling speed? Sounds like a lot of damage for what it is. But what do I know, I have never been in such an accident.

Hope the gf is okay soon.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:51 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Man, that sucks, glad your ok, and a speedy recovery to your girlfriend.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:58 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Sorry to hear about the accident.I hope your gf recovers soon.

Have fun searching for a new 5!

- Antti -
Old 07-26-2010, 09:14 AM
Members

Sorry for your troubles. Best of luck to you and your gf.

Thank goodness the cops were close at hand!
Old 07-26-2010, 09:32 AM
Members

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Geez, glad that for the most part everyone is okay.

What was the traveling speed? Sounds like a lot of damage for what it is. But what do I know, I have never been in such an accident.

Hope the gf is okay soon.
I was traveling around 35, maybe 40 mph. It was late at night and I had passengers so I didn't feel like speeding or anything of that nature. I'm guessing the damage was bad because the other driver was driving the opposite direction when the impact was made. I think he wanted to beat me to the turn.

Quick Reply: Hit head on by a sob