E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Hit by a DEER! CRAP!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 08:37 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SmithsonGA' post='1055302' date='Nov 15 2009, 03:24 PM
There are so many deer around us here in northern GA, but I never thought two would literally run into our 550i in broad daylight on a busy road.

My wife and daughter were driving on a parkway going probably 45mph, and a doe and baby ran into our driver door and rear passenger door. The doe got up and ran off, but the baby was down. Never saw them coming...really unpleasant.

Geico is already prepared to fix tomorrow (less than 48 hrs from the incident, nice).

I have to keep remembering, family is fine , it is just a car.

FURRY doorhandle
I was trying to picture your narrative description. Momma deer (apparently) hit driver door; bambi hit pass side rear door. (Deer going in opposite directions??) Then I saw your pics.

Surprised that no one here pointed that out, as some of us take people literally, and beat them up for making a mistake--grammatically or in reality.

One less deer for Santa's sled. Some poor child will not get any toys as a result. You, in fact, might get coal in your stocking.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:33 AM
Members

Originally Posted by z06bigbird' post='1056482' date='Nov 17 2009, 12:37 AM
I was trying to picture your narrative description. Momma deer (apparently) hit driver door; bambi hit pass side rear door. (Deer going in opposite directions??) Then I saw your pics.

Surprised that no one here pointed that out, as some of us take people literally, and beat them up for making a mistake--grammatically or in reality.

One less deer for Santa's sled. Some poor child will not get any toys as a result. You, in fact, might get coal in your stocking.
Ah, but I didnt say pass SIDE rear door but drivers door and rear pass door...but I see what you mean. I guess rear drivers SIDE door would be appropriate. but in reality all the doors are passenger doors other than the drivers door.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:44 AM
Senior Members

Better then being hit y a flying construction sign! im still tyring to get my dedutible back!
Old 11-17-2009, 05:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

Sorry about the car, but glad everyone is ok..........also glad it wasn't the oft re-posted deer/ fox, whatever, in engine bay pic.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:14 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Geico is already prepared to fix tomorrow (less than 48 hrs from the incident, nice).
Glad your family is ok. It's insane how deer are biologically built. I don't think the body shop will replace your doors, just your door skins. They won't tell you this though. If they replace the entire door they'll be taking out all the parts and swapping them to the new doors. So watch for rattles and stuff.....I personally hate that. Nice deductible btw!
Old 11-25-2009, 05:51 PM
Members

Got the car back today. $5500 total bill as they found other broken parts.

Yes, they replaced the door skins -vs- the doors themselves.

In general, the repair looks very good. They had to fix the appliques between the front and rear door windows..black. were still scuffed and they painted them. Didnt look good until they wet sanded/buffed them to make them smoother and more matte. I really need to take a better look at them in the sunlight to see if it is OK. They also had to smooth out the rear fender repair..it was lumpy. Tried to tell me it was orange peel...no.

I do have to take it back in next week as the PDC is malfunctioning. Wondering if it has anything to do with the fact they had to reset the airbag somehow when they fixed the door. PDC is no where near the repair area.

Also the driver door sticks sometimes, but not all the time, when opening. Not sure if it is binding at the upper corner or if it is the new rubber that needs to be lubed..not sure.

Sucks to go thru this however.
Old 11-26-2009, 02:48 AM
ADD
Senior Members

There are so many deer around us here in northern GA, but I never thought two would literally run into our 550i in broad daylight on a busy road.

My wife and daughter were driving on a parkway going probably 45mph, and a doe and baby ran into our driver door and rear passenger door. The doe got up and ran off, but the baby was down. Never saw them coming...really unpleasant.

I have to keep remembering, family is fine , it is just a car.

FURRY doorhandle

Had that happen to me in the old e39.

Never saw anything coming, it was dark and rainy, and I didn't see anything run away either. I think whatever it was, was hidden behind the A pillar as it came up on the driver's side, and it whacked the front quarter panel and nothing else. Almost like it hit perfectly sideways, straddling the wheel well.

Oh well, it'll get fixed up no problem.
Old 11-26-2009, 06:36 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Glad to know your family is fine. Santa has the deer.
Old 11-26-2009, 05:01 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by SmithsonGA' post='1062837' date='Nov 25 2009, 09:51 PM
Got the car back today. $5500 total bill as they found other broken parts.
Yes, they replaced the door skins -vs- the doors themselves.
In general, the repair looks very good. They had to fix the appliques between the front and rear door windows..black. were still scuffed and they painted them. Didnt look good until they wet sanded/buffed them to make them smoother and more matte. I really need to take a better look at them in the sunlight to see if it is OK. They also had to smooth out the rear fender repair..it was lumpy. Tried to tell me it was orange peel...no.
I do have to take it back in next week as the PDC is malfunctioning. Wondering if it has anything to do with the fact they had to reset the airbag somehow when they fixed the door. PDC is no where near the repair area.
Also the driver door sticks sometimes, but not all the time, when opening. Not sure if it is binding at the upper corner or if it is the new rubber that needs to be lubed..not sure.
Sucks to go thru this however.
What sucks is that your insurance quote was for new doors but they used skins.....this is b.s. However i know the game. One time I had a car totalled and they didnt want to total it initially. So I took it to the body shop that does the contract for BMW, Maserati, Audi, Porsche, Ferrari here. They ripped it apart and called the field inspector out to have her wright up a new quote. Got a replacement. Unfortunately that car was totalled in a matter of 5 days too. Did the same thing. Each time, i stripped the car's parts because they didn't want to pay for those options that came OEM. Insurance world is much different than ours my friend. That's why i dont worry too much these days, shit happens. Take it as it comes and benefit from it where you can.

90% of cars on the road have bondo work. It is difficult to get right. It must be feathered and sealed properly prior to paint. If you can see these things you shouldn't take the car but point it out at acceptance. Don't sign anything until you drive it and check it out as well. If you're not happy don't accept and don't sign. As far as orange peel that's b.s....that's their problem. if they clearcoated it properly 5 coat minimum there would be enough build up to smooth down the first top coat (coat #5) and then polish the second coat (coat #4) which will leave 3 nice coats with a glassy top finish.

MOST cars coming out of the factory paint booths have orange peel finish these days if you haven't noticed. Dealers are supposed to wetsand and polish/wax prior to delivery. MOST do not. They peel the white protective vinyl, wash and call their customer. LOL

Point in lesson: YOU are the consumer and you call the shots. If you don't like something stand up and disagree....but stick to it until they bend your way and not a moment sooner.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:15 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Silver Metallic w/Sport Automatic Transmission, Ventilated Comfort Seats in Beige Nasca Leather, Light Poplar Trim, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Night Vision, Active Cruise Control, Logic 7, Blue tooth Hands Free, Dynamic Stability, Soft Close. Mods: RPI Exhaust, Scoop + FIlter, License plate LED lights

Originally Posted by craigpinto' post='1055341' date='Nov 16 2009, 04:20 AM
A week ago I saw a deer on the side of the road, and told my daughter, "Look a Deer !!! "

When I was about about 5 feet from it, it just jumped in front of us.

Bad news, Killed the Deer.

Good news, Nobody hurt, other than Bambie...

Even better news, I was in my Chevy Trailblazer.

The 525i was home in the garage.

" Even better news, I was in my Chevy Trailblazer. "
" The 525i was home in the garage. "

I like the way you think