E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

High speed handling!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 08:01 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i Sport Auto (see sig)

There's no other sedan that comes close to the handling and throttle response of a BMW. No Mercedes, not the Infiniti M45, nothing. That's why we put up with the atrocious electronics quality.
Old 05-28-2006, 08:41 AM
Members

Originally Posted by tachyon' post='288303' date='May 27 2006, 12:14 AM
I know exactly what you mean, Merv.
I have a game I play now in my E60: when I drive through a curve with a slower posted speed - I try and double it.
A friend of mine used to do the same. However, he went way to fast in a corner outside of Montreal and hit the wall in his e36 M3. It wasn't until afterwards that he realized that it was a 50 kmph (50 kilometers/hour = ~30 mph) sign. He had at first though it was a 50 mph sign so going 80mph into the corner in the wet wasn't a great idea. He was a good driver so had slowed down a lot before scraping the guard rail...

Don't forget to check for kmph signs!
Old 05-28-2006, 05:57 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

I have a near 20-year history of blastsing up to Mt. Desert Island, Maine at double the limit, routinely setting new trip records among neighboring friends. What is most curious about this latest 5 series is its eerily quiet cabin. Absent wind noise, there are NO clues to actual speed.

Cheers, and keep that Valentine humming.
Ray Hull
Old 05-30-2006, 12:55 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' post='288180' date='May 26 2006, 10:00 PM
Theres always a lot of topics on this forum about the speed, economy, quality etc. etc. however something that is relevant to all E60's is the fantastic handling. I recently drove my car along a a 5mile stretch of 70mph dual carridgeway I know really well and being very late to get home I drove flat out. The road has an island which is sort of oval with a long sweeping bend just before it. Anyway you can enter the bend at over 100mph slowing down to take the island at 75mph with just a twitch of the steering wheel. Now thats what I call a great handling car! The 50:50 weight distribution is spot on. Yes I know it sounds like a madheads story but once in a while it has to be done otherwise you buy a Merc or Audi

Do you agree? Have you experienced the mega handling of your E60 yet???
Merv - you are spot on

When I first got into my e60 it felt massive and unweildy compared to my last car - an e46 coupe.

However, the first time I chucked it round some 'b' roads I was HUGELY impressed.

My e46 coupe felt sharp and nimble whereas the e60 is just incredibly relaxed and composed. Where the e46 would start to feel skittish and close to the limit, the e60 just seems to 'squat down' into the bends and get on with the job.

The temptation is to push and push, but to be frank I think this is the first car I have owned where the limit's of the chassis can't safely be explored on the road.

For me the drive is more in the style of a 'grand tourer' than a sports car, but I am sure that the e60 can outhandle an e46.

I haven't gone much over a 100mph cause in the UK I just don't think it's worth risking your license, but I have enjoyed some twisty roads at 80mph. You just have to be responsible though and remember that their could be a broken down car / tractor / horse/ pedestrian / cyclist just round the corner
Old 05-30-2006, 02:37 AM
Members

My Ride: carbon black/black dakota, M package with M aero kit, M suspension and 18" 135 M style wheels - steptronic, adaptive bi-xenon, active steering, moonroof, comfort seats, comfort access, nav pro, logic7, CD, HUD, PDC and some ...

After the break-in period, I took my E60 on a Autobahn trip to Switzerland last weekend. Coming back Sunday night, there was quite some opportunity for high-speed passages and to go to Vmax.
Handling is really very good for a large sedan with this weight, I felt safe at any speed, although my 18" RFTs seem to have a traction problem in very fast Autobahn curves (ESP kicking in several times). One more reason to got to 19" non-RFTs, then...

But, I strongly disagree with those, who think they could follow a Porsche on any road, if they just had enough speed. I owned a 996 before, and it?s handling was from another planet. The P is a real sports car, with a real sport suspension, optimum weight ratio and better brakes, giving it lots of advantage over a 550, especially in a bended passage. On the other hand, with a 911 you cannot listen to the radio at 200+ km/h and coming from a 400+ km/h Autobahn trip, you feel like sushi.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:15 AM
Members

not overly impressed with handling at high speed. when it's windy esp!!

done 153 in the 2.0d. slightly downhill tho.

dont know how to handle the car too well with traction off. had a few scary incidents. with it on it limits the cars ability.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:37 AM
Members

My Ride: carbon black/black dakota, M package with M aero kit, M suspension and 18" 135 M style wheels - steptronic, adaptive bi-xenon, active steering, moonroof, comfort seats, comfort access, nav pro, logic7, CD, HUD, PDC and some ...

@singh

153 mph = 247 km/h with a 2.0 litre diesel weighing 1600 kg???

Saying "slightly downhill", do You mean "freefalling"?
Old 05-30-2006, 04:06 AM
Members

it wasnt that steep - but its a nice big strech of road. i wonder if 155 if poss? not going to try tho - dont wana do the car an injury.
+ used alot of fuel that day!!!
Old 05-30-2006, 04:09 AM
JWD
Members

The 5er is the most stable car at top speed I experienced so far.
Driving 155mph (250kmh) feels the same as driving 75mph.
My 'old' X5 4.4 was preparing for take-off at 140mph+... very laggy steering and it really gave you the idea of flying above the road
Here's a little video I made on the Autobahn, also note the mpg meter going back when I hit the limiter, got to love Diesels .

Vid @ 250kmh
Old 05-30-2006, 01:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Many of you seem to like the high speed stability of the car and yes I agree it has great stability. Ok its not going to keep up with a porsche, afterall it's primarily a family saloon with some added sportiness to say the least! I was really trying to say how grippy it is round any bend you chuck it at and that "you could go faster feeling" that it gives.

On my last German trip I was amazed at how the car felt no different at an indicated 157mph with 4 people and luggage to what it does at 80mph
Attached Thumbnails High speed handling!-post_1522_1129808589.jpg  

Quick Reply: High speed handling!