E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

High speed handling!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 01:00 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Theres always a lot of topics on this forum about the speed, economy, quality etc. etc. however something that is relevant to all E60's is the fantastic handling. I recently drove my car along a a 5mile stretch of 70mph dual carridgeway I know really well and being very late to get home I drove flat out. The road has an island which is sort of oval with a long sweeping bend just before it. Anyway you can enter the bend at over 100mph slowing down to take the island at 75mph with just a twitch of the steering wheel. Now thats what I call a great handling car! The 50:50 weight distribution is spot on. Yes I know it sounds like a madheads story but once in a while it has to be done otherwise you buy a Merc or Audi

Do you agree? Have you experienced the mega handling of your E60 yet???
Old 05-26-2006, 01:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' post='288180' date='May 26 2006, 05:00 PM
Theres always a lot of topics on this forum about the speed, economy, quality etc. etc. however something that is relevant to all E60's is the fantastic handling. I recently drove my car along a a 5mile stretch of 70mph dual carridgeway I know really well and being very late to get home I drove flat out. The road has an island which is sort of oval with a long sweeping bend just before it. Anyway you can enter the bend at over 100mph slowing down to take the island at 75mph with just a twitch of the steering wheel. Now thats what I call a great handling car! The 50:50 weight distribution is spot on. Yes I know it sounds like a madheads story but once in a while it has to be done otherwise you buy a Merc or Audi

I have had my E60 up to 135 mph, and felt very in-control.

However, I also spun my car out badly. It was a rainy night, and I had just ordered my new tires to replace my worn OEM Dunlop runflats. The new tires had not yet arrived, though.... so I was driving on the worn runflats. I was driving on I-95 South, near Jacksonville, FL. I was in the left lane, travelling about 75 mph. Speed limit was 70 mph.

I was slowing passing a car in the center lane, and that car began to hydroplane. I saw the car losing control, and released the accelerator pedal to slow down.... and I turned slightly towards the left edge of my lane, to give this other driver more room to work with.

Next thing I know, my car was facing 90 degrees to the left. I had no choice but to stand on the brakes. I spun off the road to the left, skidding across the grass median towards the other side of the Interstate.

While my car was spinning, I knew I was going to end up in the oncoming lanes. In the past, I had seen other cars spin out just like I was, and saw them spin all the way into the oncoming traffic... so I knew that was going to happen to me. So I told myself I had to act fast when I stopped. I put the SMG in Neutral while I was still spinning.... since I didn't know which way I would be facing when I stopped. I wanted to figure out which way I was facing, and then put the car in gear and go.... be it forward or reverse. When I stopped, I immediately assessed which direction I was facing. I was facing to the center median, so I needed to go forward. I put the SMG into D, waited to see the indicator switch from N to D, and then patiently hit the gas. (I wanted to be careful not to hit the gas before the car finished shifting, which would have forced me to hit the brake, shift again, and then try to go) The traffic missed me by about 2 seconds.

Close call, to say the least.

Believe it or not, there wasn't a scratch on my car. Just a lot of grass and mud in the rims.

While spinning out of control is not good... I'm not so sure any other car would have handled that spinout as well. I think my car probably stopped sooner than others would have.... and seeing as I only had about 2 seconds to spare, that could have been the difference between life and death.

Of course, I blame the tires.

I'm on Michelin Pilot PS2 tires now.
Old 05-26-2006, 02:02 PM
Senior Members

It was one of the first things that struck me about the car actually. It has increadible handling for something so big. Its not quite as precise as a 911 nor as fast but on a normal road youd be hard pressed to find much more speed in the corners (on straights you would obviously)..
Old 05-26-2006, 02:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Originally Posted by JayJay' post='288201' date='May 26 2006, 05:02 PM
It was one of the first things that struck me about the car actually. It has increadible handling for something so big. Its not quite as precise as a 911 nor as fast but on a normal road youd be hard pressed to find much more speed in the corners (on straights you would obviously)..
I once drove a friends 911 Carrera 4 and we both (he's driven my car round the Nurburgring) found the 911 a little skittish down country lanes compared to the 535d. Having driven both I would be quite happy to follow a 911 if it could keep up speedwise. The chassis of the E60 could certainly handle more power!
Old 05-26-2006, 02:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Current - 330 Sport Topaz Blue, Grey Leather, HK HIFI...lost interest!! Waiting for - 535d Sport, Silver Grey, Foldy Mirrors, 172 19",Logic7,Pro Radio,Through load,Heated Front Seats,High Gloss shadowline,Black Maple,Headlight wash,Sun Protection Glass.

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' post='288203' date='May 26 2006, 11:09 PM
I once drove a friends 911 Carrera 4 and we both (he's driven my car round the Nurburgring) found the 911 a little skittish down country lanes compared to the 535d. Having driven both I would be quite happy to follow a 911 if it could keep up speedwise. The chassis of the E60 could certainly handle more power!

Im with you Merv The E60 seems to be set up way beyond expectations, mainly because every time you think you have max'd it (in all ways) it still seems to have more...

Very happy gonna DMS
Old 05-26-2006, 05:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

100 is nothing... try more!
Old 05-26-2006, 05:25 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' post='288203' date='May 26 2006, 05:09 PM

It can be quite skittish at times. THe steering isnt as firm and it needs 'a good road' to perform at its best. I 'raced' dad down a road once when he was in his 911 and i was following. I could keep up with him in the corners but he destroyed me on the straight bits
Old 05-26-2006, 06:30 PM
Red
Members

My Ride: MY06 530i, US Spec, Premium, Nav, HUD, Comfort seats, CWP, Sport package, Rear side airbags. Produced Sep 06.

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' post='288180' date='May 26 2006, 10:00 PM
I had my Lorilei flat out at 154 mph on a deserted stretch of n. Germany autobahn. The handling was exquisite...the only thing stopping me was the chip cutout at that speed. I was a little timid about passing on the left and afraid that some bozo head would swerve into the left lane as I zoomed past!

Priceless!
Old 05-26-2006, 08:14 PM
Contributors

I know exactly what you mean, Merv.
I have a game I play now in my E60: when I drive through a curve with a slower posted speed - I try and double it.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:47 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Sport, carbon black, media pack, visibility pack, grey leather, heated seats, sun protection glass, voice control, Eibach ProKit, 19" 166 style wheels, e-maps ECU remap to 325hp and 640NM, top speed limiter removed

I think you still can't defy the laws of physics for the sheer sice of the car for really narrow turns and corners, but have to agree, as soon the turns get a bid more moderate It's amazing what the car can do. The absolute best thing are longer nicely sweeping bends.

From my dad's to my in-law's there is a long bend on the piece of unrestricted Autobahn I use. It changes direction of m-way by about 60 degrees, not too narrow a bend, but you need a good hold of your steering wheel and I've done it many times at around 145. (no, not km/h) The car just takes it like it's on rails.

You just have to love those cars

Quick Reply: High speed handling!