E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

High rate of battery discharge

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012 | 12:33 AM
Members

Hello ..

I have a problem with my bmw530i (2005), which made me mad..

every morning there is an error ( high rate of battery discharge) and randomly ( very low battery level) ..

battery low level error pop up even if the car is just shutted off..

I went to the dealer and they told me you must change the battery.. after changing this battery I still got the same two masseges..

I also tried to pull the fuses one by one and wait the car to go into sleep mode but there is no different even though the car was in sleep mode..( actually I am not sure if it is really in sleep mode or not but the orange light indicator beside the gear selector went off)..

the fuses that I tried to unplug are :

1-radio.
2-radio amp.
3-AC (both fuses)
4-sunroof
5-telephone
6-i-drive
also I tried to get the CD changer box and the navigation DVD out of there place to make sure there is nothing spining ..

I noticed something but I don't know if it is normal or not but when I turn on the engine the radio will be on even If the last thing that I listened to is a CD from the CD changer box...

regards..
Old 02-21-2012 | 12:57 AM
Members

Does the car go to sleep after 20 minutes or. When you go near the car first time in the morning do you see any interior led light (like light on gear shifter, light button dial etc) turned on before you even press the unlock key. If they are on your car's isn't sleeping properly hence causing battery drain. Does battery go flat overnight?

It could be faulty IBS lead or IBS could be covered with moisture, check for water ingress into battery compartment.
Old 02-21-2012 | 01:38 AM
Members

Measure with an amperemeter connected in series with the battery ground terminal, how much current consumes the car in stand-by.
For example, mine does not exceed 18-19mA.
Yours should not be much more.

To mention that with the trunk lid open, you have to close the lock with a screw driver as the trunk where closed, so the car can enter in sleep mode after about 2 minutes.
Attached Thumbnails High rate of battery discharge-14022012123.jpg  
Old 02-21-2012 | 03:34 AM
Members

Hi friend AI001 ..
actually it goes in sleep mode approximately in 25 minutes.. also I checked many times what you have said about the small light beside the gear shifter it is in all the times off.and the draining is held after parked the car for 5-6 hours..

C_o_s_m_i_n

sorry my friend but I want an easier way than what you have mentioned, since it is easier to me to get the dealer and let them charge me that amount of cash $$$..
Old 02-21-2012 | 06:07 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i

Originally Posted by C_o_s_m_i_n
Measure with an amperemeter connected in series with the battery ground terminal, how much current consumes the car in stand-by.
For example, mine does not exceed 18-19mA.
Yours should not be much more.

To mention that with the trunk lid open, you have to close the lock with a screw driver as the trunk where closed, so the car can enter in sleep mode after about 2 minutes.
question... are you pulling the positive lead off the battery terminal and then running your meter to it and the neg still conected to the battery? i thought you needed to have power all times?
Old 02-21-2012 | 06:54 AM
Members

Assuming car is going to sleep properly. Do you have any aftermarket kit installed in the car which draws current directly off the battery?
Old 02-21-2012 | 08:43 AM
Members

in the headrest I have two DVD players ( screens) ..they are connected to the cigg lighter.. in fact they were installed before more than 1 year so I dont think they are the reason for that drain.. it is just started before two months..
Old 02-21-2012 | 10:19 AM
Members

Originally Posted by alooi530i
sorry my friend but I want an easier way than what you have mentioned, since it is easier to me to get the dealer and let them charge me that amount of cash $$$...
An easier way than this i can not imagine. I had a problem with the battery last week and did exactly what i described above.
If you do this and consumption is low, there is no reason to check fuses. It means you have a problem with the charger, IBS sensor or battery.

Originally Posted by INJEKTER
question... are you pulling the positive lead off the battery terminal and then running your meter to it and the neg still conected to the battery? i thought you needed to have power all times?
I pulled off the negative lead that goes to the cshassis. Connected the meter and then all systems are back on. It's like in the below schematics. For the time, consumption was 5-6 Amps. So... you do have power.
2 minutes after I made ??the above described steps, systems are going to sleep and comsumption decreases until reaches 18-19 miliamps.
Attached Thumbnails High rate of battery discharge-untitled.gif  
Old 02-21-2012 | 07:33 PM
Members

Ok .I know it is an easy thing to do as you said but the problem is to get that ampermeter..anyway..Can you please put a video that showes this test in details!
I hope that you can..that if I will not make you busy or somthing like that
Old 02-22-2012 | 02:43 AM
Members

Use an ammeter which can handle 10+ amps (minimum) with proper cables or else you risk melting the ammeter leads. Lately there are some cheap ammeter which doesn't need to be wired, they can read current flow by flux, all you do is place the meter near to the cable and it will read the current flow.