5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   High Mileage Refresh (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/high-mileage-refresh-144403/)

JWMich 03-11-2016 04:39 AM

High Mileage Refresh

Looking for the forum's collective wisdom.

What are all the things that should be done with a nice 100,000 mile 535i to refresh and set it up for its next 100,000 miles?

RIHI 03-11-2016 06:34 AM

First things coming to mind are:
All Fluids replaced
Suspension Bushing
Dampers
The above is only true if they have not been redone at a previous time. But when I removed my dampers on the car, I could easily compress them with little effort.
Bushings, tie rods & suspenion links all age and replacing them gives you the feel of a new car again

aqualibrium 03-11-2016 09:26 PM

I have an 08 535i with 91,000 miles and in the past four months I've had to replace the following due to failure
  • new clutch
  • new dual mass flyhweel
  • new valve cover gasket
  • new AC compressor (mine siezed and blew up)
  • new drive/serpentine belt
  • new serpentine belt tensioner + pulleys
  • new upper radiator hose and associated gaskets
  • coolant flush
  • new air filters

And I've done these preventatively:
  • new oil filter housing gasket
  • new oil filter cooler housing gasket
  • new turbo vacuum hose lines (fraying from the heat)
  • new spark plugs
  • new air filters
  • new brake pads
  • new brake rotors
  • brake fluid flush
  • alignment

Next up is new tire rods. Luckily, my buddy is a tech at my local BMW dealer, but even still, gotta pay out the ass to keep these cars healthy, but god is it worth it. The n54 on meth just PULLS

andymax 03-13-2016 05:14 AM

Fluids, filters and plugs. Intake blasting and water pump wouldn't be a bad idea...

My car has 208K now and has original coils, and all suspension except the control arm bushings.

funglenn 03-22-2016 01:36 PM

do not forget the turbos--our were warrantied until 82K for a reason. Mine died around 90 and look at about 3K to fix.

Devildogs 03-23-2016 04:48 AM

I have 140k on my 08 535i
I love the way the car drives but the maintenance issues are outrageous. I had a shop quote me 3k to repair the leaks and resulting damage. I will be getting rid of mine as soon as get all the oil leaks in order and would recommend you do the same.

jgbmw 03-25-2016 07:02 AM

When the suspension parts are replaced, does that include the bushings? I have around 165k miles so what would be the recommendation?

Bushings
Suspension links
Tie rods
?
Shocks (done)

Andrew06 03-28-2016 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Devildogs (Post 1576288)
I have 140k on my 08 535i
I love the way the car drives but the maintenance issues are outrageous. I had a shop quote me 3k to repair the leaks and resulting damage. I will be getting rid of mine as soon as get all the oil leaks in order and would recommend you do the same.

I hope you and your next Camry are very happy together. The OP came here in search of advice on keeping his car going, not to hear how you are giving up on yours. Let me formally invite you to leave the BMW community.

These cars are very well engineered, and reliable, but they do have needs. High-mileage, turbo, german cars are going to need some love. Oil Filter housing gasket, and oil cooler gasket (if applicable) are common failures, and may be good preventative maintenance items. Trans fluid flush, Intake removed and walnut shell blasted to de-carbon (good opportunity for oil filter housing gasket, as intake will be off.) Maybe even starter motor if your at 150k+. Coolant flush would be a good idea. Power steering fluid and brake fluid flush are both easy and important.

If you're having any hesitation/stuttering, or rough idle, maybe look at the vanos solenoids. Maybe a bottle of techron by Chevron. Beyond all these powertrain parts, the suspension and brakes would certainly benefit from refreshing. Sway bar end-links are pretty stout, but check sway bar bushings, tie rods, etc. Lift car up and try to move wheels in every direction, play will indicate wear.