E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

High beam, is it xenon?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 09:03 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all

I had my car for a couple of months now, and almost never use highbeam. I know I have xenon headlights, the usual bright white colour, the autoleveling adjustment..etc.

Today, I had to use high beam in a pitch dark road, but when I saw the reflection in the back of a parked car I realized the colour difference - It cannot be xenon. When I got home, I checked it and - low and behold - I could clearly see the lamp in the inner light

Is this normal? do you lot with Xenon have normal high beams? If so, then why isn't the high beam Xenon like the lowbeam?
If not, then how could this be?!!

Thanks
Old 01-31-2007, 09:07 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Originally Posted by the-oneil' post='385898' date='Jan 31 2007, 06:03 PM
Hi all

I had my car for a couple of months now, and almost never use highbeam. I know I have xenon headlights, the usual bright white colour, the autoleveling adjustment..etc.

Today, I had to use high beam in a pitch dark road, but when I saw the reflection in the back of a parked car I realized the colour difference - It cannot be xenon. When I got home, I checked it and - low and behold - I could clearly see the lamp in the inner light

Is this normal? do you lot with Xenon have normal high beams? If so, then why isn't the high beam Xenon like the lowbeam?
If not, then how could this be?!!

Thanks
Only the outer lamp is xenon it works on both dipped and high beam.

The inner lamp is halogen for Flash to pass etc. You can make it whiter with Philips Super Brilliance bulbs.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

The low and high xenon beams are coming from the same outside headlight. There is a shutter than cuts the xenons for low beam and opens wide for high beams. At least that is how it is in the US. The inside headlights are for flash-to-pass or daytime running lights. Are you sure that you didn't accidentally activated the flash-to-pass and mistook it for the high beams?
Old 01-31-2007, 09:17 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by vegastrashed' post='385902' date='Jan 31 2007, 01:09 PM
Are you sure that you didn't accidentally activated the flash-to-pass and mistook it for the high beams?
I am sure it is the highbeam (I could see the distinctive blue symbol lit on the dash). Is it possible the DRL come on with the highbeam?
Old 01-31-2007, 09:27 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Originally Posted by the-oneil' post='385905' date='Jan 31 2007, 06:17 PM
I am sure it is the highbeam (I could see the distinctive blue symbol lit on the dash). Is it possible the DRL come on with the highbeam?

I think in the UK yes, the inner light supports the high beam outer
Old 01-31-2007, 10:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by vegastrashed' post='385902' date='Jan 31 2007, 08:09 PM
The low and high xenon beams are coming from the same outside headlight. There is a shutter than cuts the xenons for low beam and opens wide for high beams. At least that is how it is in the US. The inside headlights are for flash-to-pass or daytime running lights.
That's the way it is except for that the inside Halogen works also as a support to the Hi-Beam Xenon.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:05 AM
Members

My Ride: Expected delivery on 15 Jan 2007 525I Olivian Green, Beige Interior, PP, CWP, PDC, SP, Rear shades,heated rear seats, Ipod fitted, Nav, Oem Rims 166, Xenon Lights, Wood grain package, illuminated door sills

Thanks r clearing this up, because this was a question that I was going to ask , but I was going to check on my own a little more.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='385924' date='Jan 31 2007, 07:02 PM
That's the way it is except for that the inside Halogen works also as a support to the Hi-Beam Xenon.
Same for the E90 (for what it is worth)
The inner halogens come on along with the xenons when in high-beam mode.
But on US E90s, only the xenons are on in high-beam mode.
Nobody seems to have a good answer for why the behavior is different in the US though.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:22 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xiT, Sep. 2005 build, silver gray/gray/black anthracite, Steptronic, Premium, Premium Sound, NAV, PDC.
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='385932' date='Jan 31 2007, 02:11 PM
Same for the E90 (for what it is worth)
The inner halogens come on along with the xenons when in high-beam mode.
But on US E90s, only the xenons are on in high-beam mode.
Nobody seems to have a good answer for why the behavior is different in the US though.
In the U.S. you're limited to a certain amount of wattage, or candlepower. That's why the fogs go off on high beam.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Originally Posted by Mr.PC' post='385941' date='Jan 31 2007, 07:22 PM
In the U.S. you're limited to a certain amount of wattage, or candlepower. That's why the fogs go off on high beam.
Thanks for the info. It kind of sounded like another 'regulation'.
Any idea of the rationale for that (if there is one)?

Quick Reply: High beam, is it xenon?