E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

530xi Manual vibration problem - HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 03:49 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530xi 6spd Manual
Model Year: 2007
Default 530xi Manual vibration problem - HELP!!!

I'm sorry to re-create a post about vibration, when I know there's already a ton out there, but I've literally not read one post on any forum in the past year that's been helpful.

I have a 2007 BMW 530xi 6spd manual, it has 111,000 miles but is ridiculously clean. And lately, I've been trying to figure out what's causing a vibration when I drive the car. Here's the zinger... it's intermittent.

The vibration is most noticeable at highway speeds, especially above 60mph. I have replaced the guibo and yes, it is installed correctly with the arrows pointing in the right direction. I have also replaced the center support bearing in the driveshaft. I marked the driveshaft in 3 separate locations to ensure both pieces went back together correctly, and I made sure to pre-load the CSB. Could I be 1 tooth off? Maybe.. but I highly doubt it. And like I said before, the vibration is intermittent. So if the driveshaft wasn't balanced, I would assume it would vibrate all the time.

If I drive VERY slowly 1-5mph, it feels like the car wobbles, almost to the point where you would think there is a bubble in one of the tires. However, I just replaced all of the wheels and tires, and had them road force balanced. None of the wheels were bent, and all of the wheels balanced to zero and had road force readings of no more than 17. Also the wheels are all stock, and not aftermarket.

I have new rotors and pads, so brakes can likely be ruled out. And I don't think it's a sticking caliper because if that were the case it would pull to one direction or another and the car drives straight as an arrow.

All together, this leads me to believe it has to be something suspension related. But I've checked myself for worn bushings, play, ball joints, etc. and can't find anything lose or dry rotted. I even went as far to take the car to a very reputable Indy in my area who specializes in only BMWs and they told me that they couldn't find anything wrong.

I have read that the front axles are a problem in the e60 AWD models. But how would I diagnose this? Also I can't tell if the vibration is coming from the rear or the front of the car. I feel it in the butt of my seat, and the passenger seat will visibly shake (slightly) when driving. However, I also feel it in the steering wheel as well as the foot pedals.

And lastly, the steering wheel will sometimes shake back and forth about 1/4 of an inch. But this is the most intermittent of all. Most of the time the car will just vibrate as I'm driving it along, and only sometimes the steering wheel will shake back and forth.

I recently did the cdv delete on the car. Could this have affected the self adjusting clutch and thus cause a vibration that way?

I love the car and really don't want to get rid of it. But I'm at my wits end here, so I'm turning to the forums to see if anyone out there can help me figure this out. I'm very mechanically inclined and do most of the work on the car myself. So I'm well equipped to try any suggestions folks may have.

Cheers,
Rob
Old 08-09-2018, 06:41 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 1985 M635, 2010 e61
Model Year: 1985

Hey Rob,

I share your frustration. Not sure if I can help, but I have had the front axle on my xi fail (twice!). Both times it was hard for me to tell where the vibration was coming from (front or back). Also, at first it was a intermittent, later it become consistent when I was accelerating. If I was decelerating or lightly cruising then the vibration went away.

Not sure if this helps, but letting you know my symptoms to see if they match what you are feeling.

Oh, the issue was diagnosed when my mechanic put it up on a lift, put it in drive and then he could see the front axle wobbling.

Good luck!

Eric

Last edited by ericono; 08-09-2018 at 06:43 AM.