E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

High Battery drain!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008 | 01:05 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 BMW 525 DA 177 HP 400 NM

Hi Everybody!

I have some battery issues! The Battery is draining out quickly, i measured the battery after driving an hour, after this i park the car for measuring.after parking 12.85 volt after 3 hours measured again this time 11,75 volt, at this point the car was in sleep mode. I do not know what this is, i have no error messages! It started with the AUX heater circuit to brake, lights in MFL steering to go of, these are working now, so i dont know if this has anything to do with the draining.... This is the last week. I have noticed a high peak noice from engine and noice from the gasvalve i think! these sound even after the car has entered sleep mode.

Earlier this week, it drains down to 5 or 6 volts during the night. at this voltage the car is not responding to anything!

I have search this forum but nothing is like my problem. The battery was new late 2007 original BMW battery 110 amps. The car i have is a 2004 BMW 525 DA E-60.

Could it be a bad cell in the battery?
Is it somthing not turning it self off?
somthing with the noice i am hearing?
Why does the circuit go off on the AUX heater (1 time)?
Light on buttons on steering wheel?

Hope sombody can help me!

In advance many thanks!
Old 02-15-2008 | 02:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order as of May 6- 2007 530i Titanium Grey and Grey Leather, with Sport Package, Premium Pkg, Cold Pkg. 2006 Porsche Boxster

Do you have a power inverter plugged in anywhere? This will kill your battery
Old 02-15-2008 | 03:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

2004? Probably the battery is bad. I just had my battery replaced 2 months ago. and my cars is built ~ 11/2004
Old 02-16-2008 | 12:34 AM
Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='531930' date='Feb 16 2008, 01:40 AM
2004? Probably the battery is bad. I just had my battery replaced 2 months ago. and my cars is built ~ 11/2004
The Battery was new in late 2007!

I have no inverter connected. I have charger connected, Ctek trickle charger.
Old 02-16-2008 | 05:00 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by chriaham' post='532026' date='Feb 16 2008, 04:34 AM
The Battery was new in late 2007!

I have no inverter connected. I have charger connected, Ctek trickle charger.
Try disconnecting that for a few days and see if anything changes.
Old 02-16-2008 | 06:56 AM
Members

Red face

Fully charged and disconnected the battery should read about 13.0 volts (6 cells at about 2.2 v/cell). With the engine running and ALL possible electrical loads ON the voltage at the battery should be about 14.5 Volts. A half decent battery supplier will also be able to measure the current from the alternator with a non intrusive induction type meter. From memory 90 amps should be about on the money!
Possibility of a duff battery!
Possible current draw...the boot/trunk light or the glovebox light. Failing that something is maybe not shutting down when commanded.
Old 02-17-2008 | 12:45 AM
Members

Yesterday, it was fully charged! LEft it over night without charger on, went from 12.90 volt to 5 volt on 10 hours. Somthing is draining alot!
Old 02-17-2008 | 03:15 AM
Members

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by chriaham' post='532285' date='Feb 17 2008, 09:45 AM
Yesterday, it was fully charged! LEft it over night without charger on, went from 12.90 volt to 5 volt on 10 hours. Something is draining alot!
Ok next step!
Fully charge the battery and disconnect it. It may measure at about 14v for an hour or so until it settles down. Measure the voltage it should be about 13v. Leave it overnight and check again, it should be the same! If the battery voltage has dropped away again it has an internal short... not uncommon even for a new battery.
If the voltage is about the same next day, reconnect and check for a filament still lit somewhere, as I posted earlier the trunk/boot light is a favourite, also do they have lights under the hood? dunno bcause I've never checked but there is another possible source. Having said that one filament lit would not normally drop the battery voltage to 5v in 10 hours!!
Next if your confident enough, disconnect the alternator to take it out of circuit. There may be a relay hanging up or a failed diode somewhere.
Finally you could pull all the fuses connect up your voltmeter and refit them one at a time checking as you go the voltage reading looking for a sudden drop as a circuit draws current.
BTW do all this with the doors closed and the filament removed from the trunk light assy, because obviously any door open will bring on a current draw from the light.
Old 02-17-2008 | 06:22 AM
Members

Originally Posted by daven' post='532308' date='Feb 17 2008, 01:15 PM
Ok next step!
Fully charge the battery and disconnect it. It may measure at about 14v for an hour or so until it settles down. Measure the voltage it should be about 13v. Leave it overnight and check again, it should be the same! If the battery voltage has dropped away again it has an internal short... not uncommon even for a new battery.
If the voltage is about the same next day, reconnect and check for a filament still lit somewhere, as I posted earlier the trunk/boot light is a favourite, also do they have lights under the hood? dunno bcause I've never checked but there is another possible source. Having said that one filament lit would not normally drop the battery voltage to 5v in 10 hours!!
Next if your confident enough, disconnect the alternator to take it out of circuit. There may be a relay hanging up or a failed diode somewhere.
Finally you could pull all the fuses connect up your voltmeter and refit them one at a time checking as you go the voltage reading looking for a sudden drop as a circuit draws current.
BTW do all this with the doors closed and the filament removed from the trunk light assy, because obviously any door open will bring on a current draw from the light.
MAny thanks DAven!

I am going to the lokal dealer tomorrow, see what they can find out! They will most likely look if the battery is ok! My car is also going for a full software update. I they cant come up with anything i will try this things u have written! I am vert thankful to you! I will get back with info tomorrow evening!

Whar is the name of the newest update?
Old 02-19-2008 | 07:01 AM
Members

My car is still at the BMW dealer!

They have found out that something is drawing all the way from 0 to 8 amps! Anyone had the same issue? 8 amps is alot of draining. What could it be!?? No wonder the batteri is empty!

Quick Reply: High Battery drain!