E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

High Battery Drain

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 10:29 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535
Model Year: 2010

A few weeks ago my IC lit up with multiple errors (not High Battery Drain). They they all went away on driving. Took it to dealership and they said they reset my steering angle sensor and saw the errors but did not find any problem etc. They did the battery cable recall at the same time. All good .. few weeks later.. get the high battery drain warning... take it to dealership and they keep the car for 2 days hooking it up to various systems etc.. they see that in the logs "something" comes on does the drain and switches on... they just cannot tell what is this "something"!!! They send me home after charging the batter they assure me my driving profile is not a problem etc. 2 weeks pass and I get the problem again.. they have it hooked up to the system again at the dealership and still cannot figure out what happened again!!! They know there is a problem they do not know what is the problem.. which module is creating the problem etc.
I have a white battery .. not AGM it is as old as the car so about 30 months old with 28K miles on it... I have researched it a lot and no one has good grip on this issue.. Current Car at dealership and they will be opening a PUMA case... Any thing else I should be doing??? Any thoughts and ideas on this??
Old 06-25-2012, 04:24 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW 550i

I got the same error when I installed aftermarket illuminated gear knob. It was clear that the knob was drawing excessive current while the car was stooped and parked. I removed that and send it for return. Never got the message ever!
Old 06-26-2012, 01:55 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

This is strange as you are not the only one who got the battery drain AFTER the recall. Its starting to make me curious as to what they could be doing... I haven't taken mine in yet, waiting a little longer because I plan on replacing the tires very soon and will have them do an alignment. I absolutely hate going there and will try for only one trip. I'm wondering if what ever they are doing is placing a load or drain on the battery and has more of an effect on the batteries that might have a little age on them or something. But I would think after driving the car for a little the battery would be recharged back to where it was.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:32 PM
Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

have you tried replacing the battery? maybe it cant keep a good charge anymore if after charged full at the dealer it kept a good enough charge for 2 weeks then it started droping again. i have the same problem and reading on forums people say to replace the battery, many have done it.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:29 PM
Contributors

Even though you may be driving your car an adequate number of miles it's not too unusual for a battery to fail. And the IBS (Intelligent Battery Sensor) could also be faulting though my dealer SA told me there is no specific test for that item. I say get them to replace battery and IBS while you're under warranty.