E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

HID Angel eyes and yellowing of the rings

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 10:09 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 08 528i TiAg Premium/Cold Weather Pkg, 20% Tint, Technic Harness, JL Audio 12W7, JL HD 750/1 and LOTS of lighting mods!!!!!

As it were....I'm currently waiting for my euro spec LCI Bi-xenon non-AHL headlights to come in (they're probably on a boat or being held at us customs ). Anyhow I've already bought a set of 6000K D1S bulbs and am now trying to select some AE solution. Either way I'm going to end up with a set of LED lights to start or as a backup (umnitzas / lux / trinity 10w). However, my mind is current set on putting in a set of HID AE as my main setup.

Here's the problem! It would be a shame to see the rings on those shiny headlights turn yellow after all I did to get them. SO! I've got some ideas... One is based on the thread below on HID bulbs:

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...easureing-test

My first theory is this....the yellowing is caused by the cheap bulbs found in most HID kits which emit way TOO much UV light because of poor bulb design (UV burn). Therefore, based on this if I were to put some high quality bulbs (like TRS, osram, etc) on my existing ddm ballast I'd have a good heat/uv combo which might not burn the optics. This brings me to my second theory which is perhaps heat is a factor and I should consider research on some low heat/energy HID kits (though that thread says that there's less UV the higher the wattage).

That is where my educated guesses end.....could anyone chime in and throw some facts in here??

What can I do to make those angel eyes bright and not yellow?

As always......thanks in advance!