E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Hi - 1st Post. Spare tyre or not?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 10:56 AM
JLS
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All

1st post here - seems like a friendly and helpful place, wondered if you could give me your views

After a line of M3's and 911's life has finally changed with the birth of our daughter so a more "practical" car beckons. Which in my case is a 530d M Sport Touring.

I'm finalisng my order tomorrow for a six week delivery but am unsure whether to order the spare wheel or not. As a retrofit it is much more expensive but I was wondering whether it was necessary?

I really enjoy a bit of spirited driving (hence I'm not buying an A6!) and have heard mixed reports about run flats. I understand there is more choice on the market than ever so is it really necessary to change to normal tyres after the first lot wear out or do run flats do the job just fine??

I appreciate it is an over asked question but was interested in people's opinions

Thanks
Old 07-09-2006, 11:34 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JLS' post='308577' date='Jul 9 2006, 07:56 PM
I'm finalisng my order tomorrow for a six week delivery but am unsure whether to order the spare wheel or not. As a retrofit it is much more expensive but I was wondering whether it was necessary?
The spare wheel is the price of a tank of fuel (or it will be by the time you have your car delivered).

Hard decision?

ABC
Old 07-09-2006, 01:02 PM
Contributors

I appreciate it is an over asked question but was interested in people's opinions
Get the factory option without a doubt. The runflat ride will send you crazy!
Old 07-09-2006, 01:10 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d sport, Silver Grey/grey/maple. 20" Hartge Nova 7. Previously 19" staggered 172s

Do it.

It gives you added security with runflats, options to replace the runflats if you come to hate them as much as most of us do, and if all else fails, you could sell it easily because there are loads of people that have regretted not having it.

P.S. Get the HiFi stereo if you havn't already ordered an upgrade, the best advice I got on here pre-order
Old 07-09-2006, 03:01 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 - 520d M Sport - Steptronic - Carbon Black - Black Dakota Leather Sports Seats electric- Auto Climate - Piano Black Bamboo - Antracite Headlining - Business Media Kit - Sat Nav - Bluetooth - CD Changer - Auxillary Port and USB - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Advanced Voice Rec - Auto Dim Mirror - Privacy Glass - 5 Year Service Inclusive Previous -06 - 525 M Sport - Steptronic - Sapphire Black - Black Nappa Leather Sports Seats - Auto Climate - Alluminium Cubed Interior - Anthracite Headliner - Business CD with Auxillary Port - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Bluetooth - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Spare Wheel kit - Advanced Voice Rec

Hi All

1st post here - seems like a friendly and helpful place, wondered if you could give me your views

After a line of M3's and 911's life has finally changed with the birth of our daughter so a more "practical" car beckons. Which in my case is a 530d M Sport Touring.

I really enjoy a bit of spirited driving (hence I'm not buying an A6!) and have heard mixed reports about run flats. I understand there is more choice on the market than ever so is it really necessary to change to normal tyres after the first lot wear out or do run flats do the job just fine??

Thanks
If you dont buy the spare wheel it means that every puncture will cost you $400.00, because if you drive on them you have to have them replaced.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Hi JLS and welcome.

Please use the Search mode and put in Runflat or Run Flat etc.

Many us us older members say no the RF 'cause of their hard ride
and big weight.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:02 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='308882' date='Jul 10 2006, 03:47 PM
Many us us older members say no the RF 'cause of...big weight.
I wonder if the space saver wheel's extra weight is less than the "extra" weight of the four RFs?

ABC
Old 07-10-2006, 07:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

get the spare wheel of course...
as many members have already mentioned, it gives you the option of changing out of runfalts any day, with out the need of looking for one, and it also helps when you have a puncture with runflats. at least you know you have a backup wheel in all situations...
Old 07-10-2006, 08:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='308891' date='Jul 10 2006, 06:02 PM
I wonder if the space saver wheel's extra weight is less than the "extra" weight of the four RFs?
ABC
Good point, but it's not about the overall weight...

It's a question of the non suspended weight that i.e. the tyres make,
and that makes an hell of an differance.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:56 AM
Contributors

JLS:
Welcome, I switched my runflats for PS2's. I hit a pothole, blew the tire and bent the rim. I used the spare to drive almost 400 miles at 60 mph. I wouldn't go anywhere without the space. By the way, the spare is not worse for the trip. The spare looks like the rim/tires that came on my 1970 1600

Quick Reply: Hi - 1st Post. Spare tyre or not?