E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Hey guys need your help once more

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 03:04 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok so heres the question....im about to get a 545i that dosent have sport package but has auto steptronic....if im using steptronic isnt that almost the same as sport mode but with better control??? i know sport package comes with other aesthetic differences liek bigger wheels but im more interested in the drive. So would steptronic give me the same feel as the sport mode?
Old 02-21-2008, 03:10 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by aresh' post='534197' date='Feb 21 2008, 07:04 PM
ok so heres the question....im about to get a 545i that dosent have sport package but has auto steptronic....if im using steptronic isnt that almost the same as sport mode but with better control??? i know sport package comes with other aesthetic differences liek bigger wheels but im more interested in the drive. So would steptronic give me the same feel as the sport mode?

not sure what u mean by sport mode... i never new the car had a sport mode button.. but then again i dont own a 545 soo.. not sure wha u mean. i always thought sport was always refering to package like wheels suspension.. not that it has anything to do with drive.. atleast thats how it is for my 530
Old 02-21-2008, 03:14 PM
Senior Members

o really i thought that in sport mode your gears shift with higher revs...
Old 02-21-2008, 03:21 PM
Senior Members

http://www.kenrockwell.com/bmw/540options.htm
this explains what i mean
Old 02-21-2008, 03:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 530i , Silver with leather Air Con iDrive 17" Breyton Rims with Dunlop Sp Sport tyres (M-Tech Bodykit and rims WANTED) Alfa Romeo 147 TS1.6 , Black with Air Con 17" Multi Spoke alloys with Bridgestone RE040 tyres Toyota MR-S 1.8 VVTI , Lagoon Blue with Red leather Air Con 15" standard alloys with Toyo tyres Toyota Celica 1.8 VVTI, Lagoon Blue, Air Con, 16" Standard alloys with Kuhmo KU31, EBC Green Stuff

Are you meaning changing down the gear manually in a auto gearbox = sport mode??

Or

DS = sport mode?

Not sure what you asking for but as far as i know, the only e60 has sport mode button (pre-LCI model) is those equiped with smg gear box.
And some LCI e60 has the sport button as well but it is an opional extra as well.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:42 PM
Senior Members

no i mean what are the differences in the driving between sport mode, drive mode, and steptronic?
Old 02-21-2008, 04:09 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

steptronic (M mode) you are manually shifting the gears by moving the shifter up or down. or if you redline to the rev limiter it will shift to the next gear for you automatically. if you slow down without downshifting yourself, it will downshift automatically as well to 2 at the lowest.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 530i , Silver with leather Air Con iDrive 17" Breyton Rims with Dunlop Sp Sport tyres (M-Tech Bodykit and rims WANTED) Alfa Romeo 147 TS1.6 , Black with Air Con 17" Multi Spoke alloys with Bridgestone RE040 tyres Toyota MR-S 1.8 VVTI , Lagoon Blue with Red leather Air Con 15" standard alloys with Toyo tyres Toyota Celica 1.8 VVTI, Lagoon Blue, Air Con, 16" Standard alloys with Kuhmo KU31, EBC Green Stuff

Originally Posted by aresh' post='534214' date='Feb 22 2008, 12:42 AM
no i mean what are the differences in the driving between sport mode, drive mode, and steptronic?
Sorry i get you now

Drive mode: will change up gear around 2000-2500 rmp on light foot, so nice and smooth ride

DS(sport) mode: Change upper gear at higher rmp than driving mode around 3000-3500rmp on light foot OR till red line if you floor it (And slightly better throttle response)

Steptroronic: Allow you to change up or down gear manually, but will change upper gear automatically if you reach the redline to protect the engine Or down the gear if your speed is too slow

First thing to say i am no expert on this thing, all these just base on my previous experience on my car and i am sure other peers will help you out with more detailed explainations
Old 02-21-2008, 04:40 PM
Senior Members

yesss your right on the money...nooww like you said steptronic is chaning gears manually or until red line....and sport mode will shift at higher rpm or up to red line. So in essence isn't steptronic kinda the same thing as sport because you can also floor it till red line except ofcorse you have control on your shifting pattern.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:59 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by aresh' post='534238' date='Feb 21 2008, 08:40 PM
yesss your right on the money...nooww like you said steptronic is chaning gears manually or until red line....and sport mode will shift at higher rpm or up to red line. So in essence isn't steptronic kinda the same thing as sport because you can also floor it till red line except ofcorse you have control on your shifting pattern.
I guess you could say that, but in Steptronic mode its more like a clutchless "manual" with overrev protection - you control all shift points within the engine redline limits.

Sport - The trans controls the shift points based on RPM and throttle.

Quick Reply: Hey guys need your help once more