E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

hesitates/accelerates - steptronic

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 04:26 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sometimes, not always re-creatable and usually when the car is cold or cool (and never noticed when very warm) at around 25-35mph, driving in traffic, accelerating and lifting off a few times - as you do in traffic - it sometimes causes the car to kind of jerk around... revving and releasing in a bit of a vroom vroom thing - it never seems to want to take off buy itself (which is, typically, considered a good thing) but it can't be right...

anyone have this? get it fixed? know how i can describe it to the dealer to get it fixed because so far they can't make it happen!!! (of course)!

when it occurs, i pop into DS (where it normally is and from where this problem has never occured)
thanks!
Old 07-14-2004, 04:49 PM
Members

Originally Posted by skidster' date='Jul 14 2004, 06:26 PM
sometimes, not always re-creatable and usually when the car is cold or cool (and never noticed when very warm) at around 25-35mph, driving in traffic, accelerating and lifting off a few times - as you do in traffic - it sometimes causes the car to kind of jerk around... revving and releasing in a bit of a vroom vroom thing - it never seems to want to take off buy itself (which is, typically, considered a good thing) but it can't be right...

anyone have this? get it fixed? know how i can describe it to the dealer to get it fixed because so far they can't make it happen!!! (of course)!

when it occurs, i pop into DS (where it normally is and from where this problem has never occured)
thanks!
skidster, this problem is peculiar to E60 520 at low rev. I had this problem too and it was resolved after the version12 software upgrade and upping the idle engine rev by the dealer.
Old 07-15-2004, 12:32 AM
Senior Members

thanks, wing-ding-dong-Kiasu-king-kong!

once again i will do that bmw-dealer shuffle!
Old 07-15-2004, 02:34 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Guest_kiasu king kong' date='Jul 15 2004, 08:49 AM
skidster, this problem is peculiar to E60 520 at low rev. I had this problem too and it was resolved after the version12 software upgrade and upping the idle engine rev by the dealer.
I thought it is caused by 18" on a 2.2L.
Old 07-15-2004, 03:33 AM
Senior Members

My 530 had a similar problem. Only when it was warm. Seems to be better since V12.
Old 07-15-2004, 08:01 AM
Senior Members

the 520 is a 2.2l -- but my wheels are the tiny little baby 16s
Old 07-15-2004, 10:17 AM
Members

My 520 also gets bogged down at low revs. I have noticed that upon coming to a standstill e.g. at a junction the revs drop to about 600rpm and stay at that level for a few seconds until resuming to a normal tickover level of 750rpm. This means that if you momentarily come to a halt it is very easy for the engine to become bogged down when pulling away. I have been meaning to ask my dealer to see if the ECU can be remapped.
Mark-Yorkshire
Old 07-15-2004, 10:28 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i notice a delay on power when starting from 0mph. it's a slight second and then the power kicks in. the link between the pedal and gas is computerized, right? i can stomp and let off the gas immediately and i barely move.
Old 07-15-2004, 11:30 AM
Senior Members

ethanbmw - I notice the exact same thing with my car and it is really bothering me. Suppose that you wanna take off quickly because you are turning up a busy street, what will a normal person do, hit the gas pedal I would say, if you do that with the E60 you might get in trouble since it seems that the car is like, hmm, the driver floored the pedal, what should I do??? Doh... I really hope that BMW will improve this behavior by adding a fix for it in one of their software updates.
Old 07-15-2004, 11:46 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree. i think it would be a software change. it's almost like the computer is trying to decide if gear 1 or 2 should be used. i haven't tried starting in manual 1 to see if it makes a difference. also, i don't remember the 545 doing this.

the bmw i had before had a stiffer pedal..although, as soon as you press the pedal, you got an immediate response from the engine.

this pedal seems to be softer

Quick Reply: hesitates/accelerates - steptronic