E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Here's my dilemma...

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 04:28 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I test drove both a 535xi with the standard 17" regular tires, and also the one with the 18" RunFlats. She hated the RFT's. (I must admit - On the mostly rough roads in my area, the RFT's were a little harsh.) Problem is, I like the looks of the 18" wheels.

Someone chime in here and give me an opinion.

First, a question for those who haven't done it.
Question #1 - Do you think it would make a smoother ride if I got the 18's, and replaced the RFT's with regular tires??

Second, a question for those who have done it.
Question #2 - Has anyone here replaced their RFT's with regular tires?? Was there a noticeable improvement?

I will appreciate any input here.

Argent60
Old 07-08-2007, 04:43 AM
Members

My Ride: 1994 Mazda RX-7 2007 BMW 328xi 2008 BMW 550i (Sep 4 Munich delivery)

Originally Posted by Argent60' post='444756' date='Jul 8 2007, 08:28 AM
My wife and I test drove both a 535xi with the standard 17" regular tires, and also the one with the 18" RunFlats. She hated the RFT's. (I must admit - On the mostly rough roads in my area, the RFT's were a little harsh.) Problem is, I like the looks of the 18" wheels.

Someone chime in here and give me an opinion.

First, a question for those who haven't done it.
Question #1 - Do you think it would make a smoother ride if I got the 18's, and replaced the RFT's with regular tires??
???--> My guess is YES it would be smoother since RFTs are less absorbing of road irregularities (from most posts & reviews I've seen, even with the latest generation of RFTs - although they've gotten better last year or so). ?But a couple of points to ponder: ?a) You may need new wheels as well as new tires, since I think the wheel is specificially engineered to mount RFTs... it might mean extra expense to you. ?and b) are you leasing? ?if so, you may need to keep the RFTs & wheels to re-mount when you return the car (and no idea but it might void aspects of your warranty)?

Second, a question for those who have done it.
Question #2 - Has anyone here replaced their RFT's with regular tires?? Was there a noticeable improvement?

I will appreciate any input here.

Argent60
Old 07-08-2007, 04:56 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i Sport 6M

You can mount a regular tire on a run-flat rim. There is no difference. My friend has a sport package 545 (just like mine) and he changed the tires and the ride is "more compliant".

I still use the run-flats. I don't mind the harshness
Old 07-08-2007, 04:59 AM
Members

Thanks 1994_RX-7_Tour -
To answer your question, I'm not leasing. I ordered the car a couple of weeks ago. So, I'm thinking that it's still early and I can change the order (especially something easy like wheels/tires). I'm just trying to make it so we both like the car we receive (due in the 2nd week of August).

Argent60
Old 07-08-2007, 05:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 330, E60 550 on order: Carbon Black/Natural Brown, 6MT.

You will have a slighly more compliant ride without the RFTs.

However, realize that it will NOT be as smooth as the 17" rims with AS tires. The 18" option will use tires with shorter and stiffer sidewalls.

The ride will be somewhere in between the two options.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:21 AM
Members

What I'm hoping is that, if I do this, that the difference between the RFT's and regular tires is big enough for her to notice. If I go ahead, I would have to change tires anyway. I want all-season tires, and I've heard that the 18's are summer tires(even on the xi models).
Old 07-08-2007, 06:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by Argent60' post='444768' date='Jul 8 2007, 04:21 PM
What I'm hoping is that, if I do this, that the difference between the RFT's and regular tires is big enough for her to notice. If I go ahead, I would have to change tires anyway. I want all-season tires, and I've heard that the 18's are summer tires(even on the xi models).
One alternative is to just get rid of the summer RF's and buy AS 235/45 18" tyres instead on the 18" wheels,
ie Michelin Sport Pilot's.

But be sure to buy tyres with rim profection.

The OEM 17 inchers are 225/50.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:35 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

many members have changed their tires while keeping the oem stock wheels. the ride is not only smoother but more comfortable with non RFTs. another option that many have taken, especially if the mod bug bites, is just to go ahead and get new wheels along with new tires.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:19 AM
Members

Originally Posted by NeRwEEzy' post='444805' date='Jul 8 2007, 11:35 AM
many members have changed their tires while keeping the oem stock wheels. the ride is not only smoother but more comfortable with non RFTs. another option that many have taken, especially if the mod bug bites, is just to go ahead and get new wheels along with new tires.

I'm kinda new here. Where's a good place(besides the dealership) to look for wheels? Any good places online?
Old 07-08-2007, 08:30 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by HPLouis' post='444762' date='Jul 8 2007, 01:56 PM
I still use the run-flats.
Me too.

But I believe I would find it hard to tell the difference with 17" wheels though when time to replace arrives, I will seriously consider legacy tyres because of the vociferous support for the "old technolgy". I want to "see" what all the fuss is about.

ABC

Quick Reply: Here's my dilemma...