E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Here we go again....CUPHOLDERS!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 04:49 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok heres the deal i just got my 5er back from the dealership...it went in for new door seals cupholder replacement and birds eye nav....well the did the door seals!
They said for the nav update i would have to pay for 4 hours of labor since there was nothing wrong and it was some thing that i just wanted to have....well anyways let me get to the point i remember seeing a thread on here about a member fixing his cupholders i was wondering if the member wouldnt mind giving me instruction on how to fix it...the dealer said they were fine i told them my wife almost had a can of soda fly out and they said it was normal....help!
Old 05-27-2005, 05:18 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i (Silver-Gray, Gray Lthr., Anthracite Maple) with Steptronic, Prem. Pkg., Logic 7, Xenons & Chrome factory wheels.

Daveyboy,

Despite all the bad press about the 5-series cupholders, I have NO problems with canned sodas on my '05 530i. They are, in fact, better than the ones in the wife's Lexus ('98 ES300). The Lexus ones are an accident waiting to happen!

Martin
Old 05-27-2005, 07:38 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Nothing to boast about!

Originally Posted by DAVEYBOY' date='May 27 2005, 07:49 PM
Ok heres the deal i just got my 5er back from the dealership...it went in for new door seals cupholder replacement and birds eye nav....well the did the door seals!
They said for the nav update i would have to pay for 4 hours of labor since there was nothing wrong and it was some thing that i just wanted to have....well anyways let me get to the point i remember seeing a thread on here about a member fixing his cupholders i was wondering if the member wouldnt mind giving me instruction on how to fix it...the dealer said they were fine i told them my wife almost had a can of soda fly out and they said it was normal....help!
[snapback]133929[/snapback]
See this http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=9110&st=0

Look at the first post where boling8080 pointed out where the outer ring is. Look below and you should see a spring at one side. That's the spring I took out. I now have problems with empty can only occasionally when I turn the car a bit fast. So I didn't proceed with the filing exercise.
Old 05-28-2005, 08:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Daveboy,

Not only are replacement cupholders available for this well known and documented problem but there is also a retrofix, instructions available on one of the monthly roundtable videos that the dealer receives. I had the ejecting soda can problem until last month. A December attempt at the retrofix only partially fixed the problem. This time around they tested their work with empty cans. In the process of the retrofit the passenger cupholder was damaged and so replaced with the newer stock. End result is my cupholders work perfectly.

Your dealer is either very uninformed, lazy or stupid.
Old 05-28-2005, 01:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 Silver Gray 545i, Sport, Navigation, Steptronic, PDC, Windowshade, Bluetooth Paired with Treo 650, Huper Optik tint, Euro reflectors, Poplar Wood Gear Shift, Poplar Wood Console Cover

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='May 28 2005, 11:55 AM
Your dealer is? either very uninformed,? lazy or stupid.
[snapback]134070[/snapback]

My dealer wins the trifecta!
Old 05-28-2005, 05:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Mine were fine when I got the car. About 9 months later a spring popped on the driver's side and the assembly broke apart (too much coffee ). A new one was installed and then I knew what eveyone was talking about. The only thing t would hold was a full can or cup. Anything less than that and it became a cuplauncher. Another trip to the dealer and it was replaced with a now-functioning cupholder. Very similar functionality as my first one (although the spring tension on this one is still a little higher than my original cupholder it is far from being a cuplauncher.)
Old 05-29-2005, 06:06 AM
JDN
Contributors

Maybe cup holders are like wives. You either get a good one or you don't.
Old 05-29-2005, 07:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

You 'aint kidding!
Old 05-30-2005, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by JDN' date='May 29 2005, 04:06 PM
Maybe cup holders are like wives. You either get a good one or you don't.?
[snapback]134256[/snapback]
Old 05-31-2005, 07:09 AM
Contributors

I just broke out the 2 spring loaded launchers a couple of weeks ago. I haven't had an incident since.